collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bomb Squad II  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Bomb Squad II
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
Joe Bennett
Is that the guy who pretty much marked Edwin hazard out the game v chelski cpl seasons ago

The Seagull fans thought he'd done a decent job according to the comments here....http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/12980797.display/

The problem is we need to rebuild the entire defence.  Bennett could be a Premiership defender, if he had players of high quality around him.  With the exception of Clark, what defence do we have?  We leak goals like a burst water main.

Decent job at the lower end of the Championship is hardly a ringing endorsement is it?  Pretty much every time he played for us, the opposition targeted him and hot some joy, even Bradford.  Giving the likes of Bennett, Baker and Lowton a chance is exactly why we are where we have been for the last four years.  I remember similar comments about the likes of Bannan and Lichaj, and look where they are now - can hardly get a regular game in the Championship.  We need better.

Spot on. Bennett did a decent job at Middlesbrough too, so it seems like the Championship is his level.

Offline Nicko89

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 10:51:29 PM »
Given - Too old now,  thanks but on your way

Hutton - The moment we started to look better he looked worse - was never really good to begin with - it was really a measure of how shit others were

Cissokho - average at everything and seemingly made of glass

Senderos - as Cissokho

Herd - As both above

Lowton - Not good enough at this level add also Bennett, Luna

Cole - why we have wasted any money on him is beyond me

Nzogbia - 4 years you have had and we still don't know your actual position

Sylla - Good enough, Hole, arse, never, as long as, gonna be - arrange this to find all you need to know

Gabby - Mr Villa - yeah right - more like so shit no one else ever wanted you  - ever - time up charlatan

Weinmann - 4 years on and cannot command a regular place or even appearance as a playing sub - gone backwards from initial promise

That's nearly a full team but a team that has had its chances and simply not taken them

Time for change

lowton was a good player but lost his way under poor management, there is a decent player in there
when gabby came on Saturday he looked like the only playing giving it his all and actually having a run with the ball, no chance he'll leave villa, he'll at least stick on the bench

Offline Boz

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
Sherwood's list of potential players out the door in the Mail doesn't have many surprises except it should be longer, although it seems a bit premature to include Kozak as an uncertain Villa future given he's had no opportunity to play for Sherwood and we will more than likely loose Benteke.

You have to wonder about Gil as well, as he seems to be out of favour with the manager, yet looks to have more ability than the majority of the squad.

Interesting times ahead with possibly new owners, (although who'd want to buy us after Saturday)?

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
I really don't think Joe Bennett is a good enough one v one defender at this level, he was a player just given a chance far too early at premier league level, he'd have been better playing another 100 games for Boro at that level as his first season he just looked so short of basic defensive understanding it was laughable.

Who knows what will happen at the left back coconut shy this summer. I'd keep Cissokho and ditch Richardson but Sherwood will do the opposite I'd imagine.

I think Richardson will stay as he can cover a couple of positions.  I'm sure he will have a look at Kinsella in pre season, but we still need a starting left back, 

He can have an extra year for that goal line clearance in the semi as far as I am concerned.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

You have to wonder about Gil as well, as he seems to be out of favour with the manager, yet looks to have more ability than the majority of the squad.

His approach to Carles worries my slightly about is potential dealings in the transfer market.  It suggests to me it could be the O'Neill style 'all about PL or English football experience - we don't want any Johnny foreigners coming in who are too lightweight and don't know the league' mentality, just on the cheap this time.  Just speculation at this point, admittedly.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
I have it on pretty good authority that Gil has been told to find another club.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »
Interesting times ahead with possibly new owners, (although who'd want to buy us after Saturday)?

Potential owners are waiting for the club to end up in those bargain bins in the middle of Lidl....

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
Of course some players are going to go but I think this thread goes a bit over the top myself.

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »

His approach to Carles worries my slightly about is potential dealings in the transfer market.  It suggests to me it could be the O'Neill style 'all about PL or English football experience - we don't want any Johnny foreigners coming in who are too lightweight and don't know the league' mentality, just on the cheap this time.  Just speculation at this point, admittedly.
I would hope not. It seems Carles probably hasn't done enough in training. I would hope we will still look at technically gifted players. If you look at Sanchez and Cazorla for Arsenal for example. Both exceptionally gifted but in addition to that, the pair work as hard as anyone in their side. I really like Sanchez, for someone with such quality, and the ability to produce magic, what stands out even more is just how much work he does. He never stops running.

Of course on our budget level you tend to be very lucky to find a player who has lots of ability, and exceptional work-rate to match. I think the combo of the two is what make players potential world beaters over someone who is talented but slightly mercurial.
If we find someone technically impressive, I would guess that player would probably be the kind who can drift in and out of games. It's like during the O Neill period. We could afford a John Carew but a player a level above where you get workrate and consistency as well? Not really.

We shall see.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
What about the 3 years left on his contract ?

Offline supertom

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
No patience any more. We can't live in hope that Lowton and Bennett etc will suddenly be good enough. We need players who are good enough right now.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
What about the 3 years left on his contract ?

I'm sure it happens all the time, 'the manager doesn't fancy you as a player so we wont stand in the way of a move, tell your agent to get the feelers out and we'll try our best to get you somewhere you can play'. If he doesn't get the move he's still got a contract and a wage, just not a place in the team.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »
So yeah effectively a new bomb squad is born. Gil may be able to get a swift move but some of the others ? Who on earth is going to match Weimann wages for example ? He will just sit out his contract whoop whoop flamey

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
Given - Too old now,  thanks but on your way

Hutton - The moment we started to look better he looked worse - was never really good to begin with - it was really a measure of how shit others were

Cissokho - average at everything and seemingly made of glass

Senderos - as Cissokho

Herd - As both above

Lowton - Not good enough at this level add also Bennett, Luna

Cole - why we have wasted any money on him is beyond me

Nzogbia - 4 years you have had and we still don't know your actual position

Sylla - Good enough, Hole, arse, never, as long as, gonna be - arrange this to find all you need to know

Gabby - Mr Villa - yeah right - more like so shit no one else ever wanted you  - ever - time up charlatan

Weinmann - 4 years on and cannot command a regular place or even appearance as a playing sub - gone backwards from initial promise

That's nearly a full team but a team that has had its chances and simply not taken them

Time for change

Ha ha, I love the contempt in that post.

I also agree with pretty much all of it.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »
So cut this short we're keeping Clark, Delph, Benteke and the tea lady.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal