collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 58 Years of Hurt, in all its awfulness  (Read 10308 times)

Offline chrisf

Re: 58 Years of Hurt, in all its awfulness
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
God we're shit and what makes me REALLY ANGRY is that we've been shit for the best part of a HUNDRED YEARS.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
Looking on the bright side, the Noses list of exits is a damn sight longer.

And includes words like 'Altrincham' and 'Kidderminster.'

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 07:37:52 PM »
It's an appalling record, to the point where you just have to laugh about it. Look at the state of the 2000's. Bloody hell.

Bookended quite nicely by an appalling Final and semi final!

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 07:42:20 PM »
Aldershot FFS !!

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »
Apologies if posting it has bought back some bad memories, a few more stat facts

We've lost to the eventual winners 15 times and runners up 4 times in those 58 seasons, so maybe the expression "beat the Villa, win the Cup" from the early 60s when it happened 5 years in a row isn't so far wrong.

Unsurprisingly ManYew have knocked us out the most with 6 followed by Liverpool on 5 then Spurs on 4. Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and Wimbledon then with 3 each.  It has to be said we don't get knocked out by lower league opposition very often and as others have said the names Altrincham, Sutton Utd and Woking don't appear on the list anywhere. The most embarrassing one I'd wager would be Aldershot in 1963?

The fact we've only got to qtr final or better on 12/58 attempts (20% or 1 season in 5) is woeful for a club of our size.

The last time we won it in 1957, neither Liverpool or Chelsea had ever won it and now they're both level with us, Spurs had won it twice, Arsenal 3 times and United twice all now ahead of us.

I'm going to shut up, I'm depressing myself.......and my anorak is getting a bit warm

Offline Kevin_Brum12

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
Some very bad memories in modern times.

The annual and predictable draw of Manchester United in the third round.  If at home the Villa end being filled with ManUre supporters who've travelled up to Brum from the Manchester suburbs of Barnet, High Wycombe and Crawley, being drubbed and having Fergie time added on with a ref who ought to be in a ManUre shirt.

The last couple of seasons being dispatched by Millwall on a Friday night and the mighty Sheffield United.

Bloody Wimbledon.

Seeing that smug git Dennis Wise lift the trophy in 2000 after our capitulation against Chelsea.

Seeing the equally smug git Wilshere lording it yesterday and behaving in a manner that had it been a fan, would have resulted in a Section 3 Public Order charge, a night in the cells, a trip before the beak and a banning order.

58 years of misery.  Tim - for McGraths sake you need to end this once and for all.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
Does it show us we're not as big as we think we are?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:33 PM »
Apologies if posting it has bought back some bad memories, a few more stat facts

We've lost to the eventual winners 15 times and runners up 4 times in those 58 seasons, so maybe the expression "beat the Villa, win the Cup" from the early 60s when it happened 5 years in a row isn't so far wrong.

Unsurprisingly ManYew have knocked us out the most with 6 followed by Liverpool on 5 then Spurs on 4. Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and Wimbledon then with 3 each.  It has to be said we don't get knocked out by lower league opposition very often and as others have said the names Altrincham, Sutton Utd and Woking don't appear on the list anywhere. The most embarrassing one I'd wager would be Aldershot in 1963?

The fact we've only got to qtr final or better on 12/58 attempts (20% or 1 season in 5) is woeful for a club of our size.

The last time we won it in 1957, neither Liverpool or Chelsea had ever won it and now they're both level with us, Spurs had won it twice, Arsenal 3 times and United twice all now ahead of us.

I'm going to shut up, I'm depressing myself.......and my anorak is getting a bit warm

On the bright side, I reckon once we ever get going again, we'll be unfuckingstoppable.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »
I think so.  We've been successful in the League Cup 60-70s and mid 90s, had a 2 year spell in the early 80s and a few runners up placings. Perhaps we need to reassess if we are as big as we think we are as we haven't performed like one consistently for decades if not a century. 

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 09:01:29 PM »

Is a football club not nothing more than the collective memories of its supporters? In which case we'll always be huge. Our First Eleven just need to act accordingly. Unlike Saturday.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
Of course we are. Maybe not recently, but over the course of time most definitely.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »

Pretty much, top 10 club but not a top 4 club.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
It all started for me with...

66/67 4 Liverpool - My 2nd ever away game, the 1st being Preston in round 3.  9 years old and my Dad took me. Incredible atmosphere and the packed Kop then was awesome. The Holte was bigger but at this point I was only used to seeing it at best half full. We were down the bottom and sinking fast, Shanklys Liverpool a real powerhouse. For the first 30 minutes of the game we dominated, we really went at them with purpose and had them on the back foot. Then, nothing. Went into a defensive shell and Liverpool took over and it was just a matter of time. Lost 1-0 and out we went.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:33:02 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »

I'm not sure if that makes me happy or sad.

I've been mooching around the Wiki FA Cup finals page. I'd say that Blackburn Rovers (6 wins, last in 1928) and Sheffields Utd and Wednesday (4 and 3, 1925 and 1935) pip us in the underachieving stakes.

I'm snorting up crumbs of comfort like Lindsey Lohan on day release.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 09:51:02 PM »
It all started for me with...

66/67 4 Liverpool - My 2nd ever away game, the 1st being Preston in round 3.  9 years old and my Dad took me. Incredible atmosphere and the packed Kop then was awesome. The Holte was bigger but at this point I was only used to seeing it at best half full. We were down the bottom and sinking fast, Shanklys Liverpool a real powerhouse. For the first 30 minutes of the game we dominated, we really went at them with purpose and had them on the back foot. Then, nothing. Went into a defensive shell and Liverpool took over and it was just a matter of time. Lost 1-0 and out we went.

Wow, lovely to hear that first hand from the past and a newspaper cutting! Sent a little shiver down my spine.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal