collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Midfield  (Read 4584 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: The Midfield
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »
Keep Delph, Richardson, Sinclair Hopefully Cleverley, the rest P45
Grealish wasn't at his best yesterday, but I think you're on your own in wanting him out of the club.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »
Someone like Ki would've been brilliant in our midfield, he would've been a proper replacement for Stan at long last sitting infront of the back 4 and directing play. Shame he wanted silly money last summer. He's of a higher standard than Westwood.

It's all about variety in midfield. Ideally you wanted a midfield protector, someone who can pass and get forward with energy and score a few goals and then a number 10 type as the third midfileder. As Ads says Swansea have that with Ki directing play, Shelvey as the box to box player and Sigurdsson as the number 10.

Ours are too similar although they did look good for a six week spell. Ultimately as a group they just don't score enough goals, both Delph and Cleverley should be getting 5 + no problem and none of them can pick a pass to unlock a well drilled defence.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »
This is the problem with signing Cleverley, is he too much like Delph. We need a ball player like Ki as you say Soccer, Corzola did exactly what that guy at the base of the spine needs to do yesterday, which is have the range of passing to pick out runners.

Added to that, we need to have width higher up the pitch. Grealish and Sinclair look the best bet to play either side of a centre forward, but the 3 in behind them need to have more vairety than Westwood, Cleverley and Delph. Delph is head an shoulders better than the other 2, so they should be looked to be replaced/ competition signed for them. Sanchez I think if we got a decent offer I would let go. We need 2-3 in the centre of the park with real quality. I do wonder if Sherwood will try for Huddlestone to go in there. Would not be my choice but will be someone he knows from Spurs days.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 11:18:10 PM »
Huddlestone is better than we have I guess .

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »
Can't see randy releasing too much money, TS may need to get a kit on and muck in.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:42 PM »
Physicality is required. An upgrade on Westwood so that Delph and, maybe Cleverly can get forward more. I really don't care either way if TC signs or not. I know he's on a free, but I think there are better players out there.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »
I think we need both physicality and quality on the ball from deep though.

Offline J

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
I'd take Diame from Hull for a reasonable price.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 01:13:59 AM »
Attacking/Wide
Grealish
Gil
N'Zogbia
Sinclair

Box-to-Box
Delph
Cleverley

Sitting/Defensive
Westwood
Gardner
Sanchez
Sylla

With the exception of Delph, Sinclair and at a stretch Cleverley thats a horribly slow one paced group

If we are discounting Tonev then Sylla also is nowhere near the level required

Bar having a better shot, what would Gardner offer that Westwood doesnt? We should do the decent thing and let Gardner leave in the summer. Bit part football wont bring him on.

Cleverley had a good burst of games under Sherwood, but could be score 8 goals for us next season Im not so sure, Delph and him seem at their best in the same position pushing forward. Delph has far more about him though and we need him playing further forward next season imo

Nzogbia should be paid to leave if needs be. Not sure Sherwood rates either Sinclair or Gil, both have plenty to offer imo provided their workrate and fitness improves. Both were founding wanting away from him particularly. Gil and Grealish could rotate but not play on the same side.

Bar the signing of a very good holding midfielder with pace, the new midfield set up will depend on whoever Benteke's replacement is. If its Austin he will need guile and pace in the wide areas.

Jedinak could be a good call bringing some much needed leadership into the squad. Not sure how he went at club level after Xmas but Jeff Hendrick at Derby is a decent box to box midfielder with scope to improve.

Offline supertom

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
Marginally perhaps, but he's had a very disappointing season and I'd imagine is probably on fairly daft money. Hull will be desperate to offload however.
He's good in the base position but my worry about the Hud is the fact he's slow and can't tackle. With how Sherwood plays I'm not sure the base lying playmaker is the way to go, but perhaps more an energetic destroyer. Westwood and Sanchez are too slow, and Sanchez is too clumsy.

If we could find a budget version of Cazorla, even a player half as good, it would improve our midfield immeasurably.

I'd still sign Cleverley but would probably rotate him with Delph. Delph's tackling is slightly better now, there's also the possibility he could play deeper and be the mop up man. Then have TC and a classy new signing ahead.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »
I think we need both physicality and quality on the ball from deep though.

Agree.  Sanchez has got that physicality, but is a liability in possession at times.  I have heard a few people on TV and radio talking about Chelsea needing a second holding midfielder for when they play in the bigger Champions League games and I think that could be the same with us.  Diamond formation for some opponents and a 4-5-1 with a tight midfield four for games like Saturday.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
I would have started Sanchez and Westwood with Delph, Cleverley and Grealish in similar roles to they way Arsenal started. We carried Nzogbia badly. And to an extent Benteke.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »
I would have started Sanchez and Westwood with Delph, Cleverley and Grealish in similar roles to they way Arsenal started. We carried Nzogbia badly. And to an extent Benteke.

We are, of course, talking from hindsight, but that is probably how I would have gone as well.  The home game against them earlier in the season kept playing on mind last week and how easily they pulled us apart in midfield and defence.  Adding Sanchez alongside Westwood and keeping Cleverley and Delph in quite tight, might have plugged a few of the gaps that appeared, leaving Grealish in behind Benteke.  Might not have worked of course, but they wouldn't have had so much space in midfield.       

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
I think they would have beaten anything we put out there in fairness. But we need a couple of really good players to give more flexibility in that midfield this summer. Picking a forward pass and getting about the opposition in defensive areas.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

I think he's a horrible, horrible waste of space. Ambles around doing very little at all, except for reminding you occasionally about the exceptional ability he has on the ball with a brilliant long-range pass.

It would be ideal if Sanchez could improve enough (or Gardner as an outside chance) so that we could play him and Delph deeper and Grealish as the no. 10, opening the door for Sinclair to step into the side as an additional attacking threat, hopefully along with Gil or a new signing playing on the right. Otherwise, we might have to sign another central mid - our scouts have their work cut out to find someone who can manage that. There will be games where 4-3-3 will work, but we can't go there every game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal