collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carlos Sanchez  (Read 11910 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Carlos "the pebble" Sanchez
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
Is this a character who was written out of The Sopranos in an early draft?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »
We will see the best of him next season. There's a player in there if he can cut out the gaffes.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 09:22:05 PM »
Quite a lot of us really like Carlos. I think Tim does as well. We might get a very good season out of him when it comes round in a few months.

Offline Broadlee

Players on International Duties
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:40 AM »
Well great news from South America and the fact that Carlos Sanchez was Man of the Match against Brasil. Marked Naymar out of the game.
Good comments from him also, explained that he is adjusting (slower than hoped) to the English game, language is improving and looking forward to next season where he believes that as the Brazil match shows, he is progressing personally and expects to add more to the team next season.

I hope so, there is a player in there and once he fully "understands" and adopts to the speed of the PL we will see a world class player in the team. Fingers crossed and UTV

Offline cdward

Re: Players on International Duties
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
He reminds me of Jean II Makoun and Petrov. Good players who struggled to adjust to the pace, tempo and culture of the Premier league, but who given time will settle into it, and be a good player. Makoun was never given enough time, Petrov eventually settled.

Offline MattW

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »
Man of the match for Colombia against Brazil, apparently: ESPN.

It was a night when Santiago turned into Bogota, or Barranquilla, Medellin or Cali. Brazil's 100 percent record under Dunga came to an end as Colombia held on to beat them by a single goal, accompanied by the roars and the vuvuzelas of the packed Colombian support.

This game had been billed as a clash between Neymar and James Rodriguez, however the real contest was between Neymar and Colombia's holding midfielder Carlos Sanchez -- and it was a clash with a clear winner.

Four years ago in the previous Copa America, Sanchez produced a fine man marking performance to keep Lionel Messi quiet. On Wednesday his role was even more important, for a number of reasons.

First, because after a disastrous opening day defeat to Venezuela, Colombia really needed something from this game. The stakes were high. And also because Neymar is even more important to Brazil than Messi is to Argentina.

Dunga's team is worryingly dependent on him -- and worryingly dependent on attacking speed. Slow them down, slow Neymar down, and the battle is well on the way to being won.

Sanchez rose to the task with a superb performance of defensive midfield play. He kept a close watch on Neymar, looking to stop his surges at source. He won tackle after tackle against the Brazil captain. Neymar was reduced to a petulant figure, who picked up a second yellow card in two games, and topped it off with a red card at the end of the match.

Once again, a match against Colombia has taken Neymar out of a tournament. Even coach Dunga is unclear at this stage how many matches his captain will be suspended for. At least he has a chance to see what his players can do without their attacking talisman.

Colombia's big problem against Venezuela -- a lack of midfield elaboration -- was not an impediment in this match. This time there was no obligation on the Colombians to take the initiative.

They could sit deep to neutralise Brazil's pace, and either launch the ball forward for their twin strikers, Radamel Falcao and Teofilo Gutierrez, or rely on bursts of pace from Juan Cuadrado and Rodriguez. Colombia, then, could afford to spoil and speculate.

Sanchez gave them the platform to do it, and they grew in confidence as the first half wore on. Brazil's frustration showed itself in a number of ill-disciplined fouls. One of them proved decisive; Cuadrado curled in a free kick to the far post and -- not for the first time -- Brazil struggled to clear a set piece. Jeison Murillo took advantage with a swivel shot into the corner.

With Brazil rattled, Colombia had chances to score a second, notably when Falcao wasted a counter attack, greedily firing over when others were better placed.

At half time Brazil introduced Phillipe Coutinho for Fred on the left of midfield, but the main change was that Neymar moved up front -- to get him away from Sanchez -- and Roberto Firmino dropped deeper. There was some promising interplay between the two, but the best chance they created was a complete gift; Murillo's back-pass played keeper David Ospina short, and in the resultant melee the ball fell to Firmino with the goal gaping, but he leant back and sent his shot over the bar.

Brazil exerted a second half stranglehold, and Colombia coach Jose Pekerman made the obvious change to tighten up his side, withdrawing Falcao and introducing Victor Ibarbo on the left of midfield, forming a five man block, augmented by the noise made by every Colombian in the crowd.

Their celebrations at the final whistle were well justified. This is the first time that Colombia have beaten Brazil since the last time the Copa America was held in Chile -- on July 13, 1991, when James Rodriguez had been alive for a single day.

Also, Daily Mail gave him an 8.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
He reminds me of Jean II Makoun and Petrov. Good players who struggled to adjust to the pace, tempo and culture of the Premier league, but who given time will settle into it, and be a good player. Makoun was never given enough time, Petrov eventually settled.

This.

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »

This.
Precisely. I was hoping that he'd fill that gaping hole in central midfield where we were constantly overrun by everybody when Stan stopped playing. He still may do.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
I think the timing of his signing didn't help anyone.  By waiting until mid-august he missed full pre-season and he looked short of fitness.  Not having that fitness work with us meant he was always a little behind the squad and, as has been said, looked fucked after an hour.  If you look at the errors he's made they usually came later in the game and I think were a result of tiredness (mental and physical) rather than anything more worrying.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »

This.
Precisely. I was hoping that he'd fill that gaping hole in central midfield where we were constantly overrun by everybody when Stan stopped playing. He still may do.

The biggest thing for me is his physicality is much better than Westwood who is powder puff against physical forwards and attacking midfielders.  He hasnt settled briloiantly but I think he'll get better we just need to be patient. With the Copa America though he's not going to get a long pre-season and Tim may have to make a call on when he starts being in the squad. His fitness and passing need to be much better.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Carlos Sanchez
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
Makes it even stranger why we didn't set-up like we did away to Man City with Sanchez and Westwood protecting the defence.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
I think the timing of his signing didn't help anyone.  By waiting until mid-august he missed full pre-season and he looked short of fitness.  Not having that fitness work with us meant he was always a little behind the squad and, as has been said, looked fucked after an hour.  If you look at the errors he's made they usually came later in the game and I think were a result of tiredness (mental and physical) rather than anything more worrying.

He's not going to have much more of a rest this summer with Colombia at the Copa America.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 02:59:10 PM »

This.

The biggest thing for me is his physicality is much better than Westwood who is powder puff against physical forwards and attacking midfielders.  He hasnt settled briloiantly but I think he'll get better we just need to be patient. With the Copa America though he's not going to get a long pre-season and Tim may have to make a call on when he starts being in the squad. His fitness and passing need to be much better.

He certainly has the physicality and mobility to play in the top flight.  If he can just speed and simplify things when in possession then he should be OK.   

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »

He's not going to have much more of a rest this summer with Colombia at the Copa America.

He'll get a few weeks with us which will help

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 03:45:11 PM »
I always thought Sanchez was meant to be another Makelele type - take the ball off the opposition and pass it to a teammate less than five yards away. It seems to me his shortcomings were exposed when he was expected to be quick and skilful.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal