collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Big in Ireland  (Read 4926 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Big in Ireland
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:58 PM »
Saw a discussion here the other day re Villa fans in Dublin, the suggestion there are quite a few of them.

I've never been to Ireland, but my Mrs has been a few times (though not in the last 15 years or so) and even she admitted that they seemed to see a lot of Villa shirts there, and she normally goes out of her way to say nothing other than derogatory things about Villa.

Just stumbled on this: Sports Direct (wankers, obvs) giving a break down of where they sell most shirts for each club.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/News/entryid/6883/Shirt-Sales-2014-15-Where-Are-Your-Teams-Supporters-Really-From

Our figures look really strange:

So, are our shirts particularly well distributed in Ireland (and London)? Are we under-distributed on our own patch?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Big in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:50:23 PM »
Won't that just be their sales? I'd imagine that the majority in Brum and the surrounding areas buy direct from the club.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »
I would guess it's because most of our local fans buy from the club shops.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
It's only one retailer though. Though we undoubtedly sell more shirts in Greater Birmingham, a lot would be sold at the club shops and other outlets.

Edit: as Dave said.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »
I'd guess it's because there are more alternative outlets to buy from in Birmingham (from the club shop direct probably being the main one).

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:36 PM »
Its impossible finding Villa shirts to buy down here I find. Its the big four plus one or two of the London clubs. You can even buy Man City shirts down here now which wouldn't have been stocked down sarf about 4-5 years ago. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:55:47 PM »
Yes, of course it is just Sports Direct's sales, just found it really odd to see such a large % sold in Dublin.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
We probably picked up a fair bit of Irish support during the McGrath, Houghton, Townsend, Staunton era.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »
Whilst on holiday in Zanzibar in September last year, met a couple from Dublin on honeymoon at our hotel and the lad was a Villa fan. When I asked him why, he said 2 words "Paul McGrath". I suppose a number of Dubliners would have been attracted to the Villa when he played for us. It's not that long since half the Ireland team were or had played for us, My late Dad, unfortunately a Baggies fan, always maintained that having an Irishman or two playing for one of the teams in the area in the 50's was guaranteed to put 5K upwards on the gate. Anyone else heard that nugget of information ?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 11:08:36 PM »
We probably picked up a fair bit of Irish support during the McGrath, Houghton, Townsend, Staunton era.

I jumped aboard the bandwagon then as did countless others, good Villa side and a good Irish team at the time

Surely Villa would be the traditional club of the Irish community in Birmingham?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »
Yes, of course it is just Sports Direct's sales, just found it really odd to see such a large % sold in Dublin.

I lived there in the for a couple of years in the early 90's and found the Villa were very popular back then. Helped off course by having the likes of Stan, Townsend, Houghton and off course McGrath.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:01 AM »

I jumped aboard the bandwagon then as did countless others, good Villa side and a good Irish team at the time

Surely Villa would be the traditional club of the Irish community in Birmingham?

Not necessarily.

Sparkhill and other parts of south Birmingham would have had a big Irish community way back when.

The subtle sectarian divide between even the Liverpool and Manchester clubs never really existed in Brum.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:05:03 AM by KevinGage »

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:13:04 AM »
I guess Villa were still seen as the most famous name in English football in the early 50's, so that wave of immigrants would gravitate to the famous club. I know for my dad, coming from Ulster, having Blanchflower and McParland was an attraction, not to mention Con Martin and later Pat Saward.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 04:17:33 AM »
I was surprised how many Villa there are in Ireland and a lot of them refer to Irish teams that have had lots of Villa players,
There are quite a few Irish who despise the Liverpool Manure supporting Irish stereotype.
After Celtic Arsenal Liverpool and Manure I reckon we are the next best supported.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 07:26:48 AM »
I saw Villa shirts on sale in Cork a few months ago.  Hadn't seen that for a good few years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal