collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Central News tonight  (Read 2849 times)

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
Re: Central News tonight
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
As humorous as the story is, the pedant in me can't let go of the line "the pair took the gigantic silver cup, which weighs up to 15kg,"

It can't weigh up to 15 kg, as it's weight can't fluctuate (well technically it's mass can diminish but not enough to count in this context.)

It  can weigh 15kg, around 15kg, just under/over 15 kg but not up to 15kg.

Pedants rant over.

As others have said, unbelievable for those that have only known football in the mega money era.

It's a good job it wasn't Ron Saunders they had to confess to!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
The fact that a couple of players took the European cup to a pub for a piss up and lost it just seems incredulous

The chances of that not being leaked to the press now, or of the players not being castigated for reckless behaviour, or of two players mixing with fans and playing darts, must be minimal.

I'm sure I have heard Phil Thompson tell a similar story about the same trophy and a pub where he grew up in Kirkby. I'm also pretty sure Thompson and Dennis Mortimer either went to the same school or played for the same boys team. Or possibly both.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
Didn't a certain player perform a certain bodily function in a certain cup, according to legend?

Offline TonyDaleysHair

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »
At an evening with Tony Morley at a social club earlier this year, he was telling a similar tale. He said that they had left him with the cup one evening after a similar function or something of the likes, and he thought he would take it back home to Merseyside to show his family and mates. Apparently, whilst having a few beers in his old local, he turned round startled to see one of the resident barmy locals taking a slash in the European Cup!

Upon questioning what on earth he was doing, apparently the urinating scousers response was that he was sure some Germans would be drinking out of the cup in the near future :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal