collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Any particular reasons for winning the fa cup  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Any particular reasons for winning the fa cup
« on: May 22, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
I know we have a good few threads already but I thought it might be good to have one where folk can offer their personal reasoning behind why winning the cup means so much to them.

Mine

Ever since I knew about football and Villa my old man told me stories about the win in 57, how the kit stood out on the day and how the underdog shone through against a vastly superior team on paper. Ever since that day I am proud to say that like most in my generation I have seen our great club win all there is to win (even today there arnt many football fans who can say that) apart from the holy grail that is the FA cup. And all of those victories from Graydons penalty to Yorkies clincher in 96 I stood next to my old man. In 2000 we attended the final hoping to finally put the last piece in the jigsaw into our time together - we all know what happened next. Later that year he died. It was the last competitive game I saw with him. So when Abide with Me rings out I will be blubbing like a baby. Probably the last time in my lifetime we may have the chance to complete the set. And I can finally say I have seen everything my old man had seen.

Come on Villa win the cup for all of us

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:26:38 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Any particular reasons for winning the fa cup
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
Won it in 57 born in 58 the only trophy i have not seen Villa win. Had my picture taken with it with our other cups but would not touch it and will not till i have seen Villa win it. Hope this is the year like the rest of you. VTID

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
It's just because I grew up watching the FA cup when it was a real national event. I have fond memories of watching the final when I was a kid in the 1990s. I would love to be able to add a memory to the collection of Villa lifting the cup, as opposed to the memory of the dismal final in 2000.

Offline richard moore

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:31:41 PM »
My Dad went in 57 with all his friends, many of whom are dead now and I've always wanted to be able to say we won it before he pops his clogs too - he is now in his mid 80s. My biggest regret is we never won it in the 70s or 80s as I think it was much more iconic and a big deal then than it is now when it has been so devalued by the kick off time and other games taking place at the same time (not this season of course). I would have loved us to win it in those halycon days of the mid to late 70s when the whole nation used to stop and watch it and talk about it. By contrast, I have barely watched the last two cup finals. I could you tell all the results and scorers of every cup final from 1970 up to about 1990 but very few from then on when it just became a blur of endless Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea combinations - or so it seems in my mind, though probably isn't true

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
2000 obviously, but the fact that it is the only domestic I have never seen us win is a huge factor. The same would apply to a lot of people. 57 is a long, long way back and it would be beyond a dream to add to the others we have won. Starting the season with a possible new owner, an aggressive and passionate manager, a solid squad which we hope will have been added to with some key pieces, playing European football, and off course in the Community Shield because won the cup would be simply astonishing given where this season was heading a couple of months ago.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »
Similar. Other than Christmas Day and your Birthday the next best, most eagerly anticipated day when I was a kid was FA Cup Final day

It started with interviewing players from the team hotels the night before, Cup Final Grandstand syarting at 11am featuring novelty pieces like Cup Final It's a Knockout, team songs, helicopters following the team coach to Wembley, the match shown live ( often the only live game shown on TV - imagine that these days). This put together made it THE day.

I was desperate for the Villa to get there. We never did. It became an obsession. I gave up a few years back, consigned myself to never seeing it happen.

Now we're there, could it be..................

Offline richard moore

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
Similar. Other than Christmas Day and your Birthday the next best, most eagerly anticipated day when I was a kid was FA Cup Final day

It started with interviewing players from the team hotels the night before, Cup Final Grandstand syarting at 11am featuring novelty pieces like Cup Final It's a Knockout, team songs, helicopters following the team coach to Wembley, the match shown live ( often the only live game shown on TV - imagine that these days). This put together made it THE day.

I was desperate for the Villa to get there. We never did. It became an obsession. I gave up a few years back, consigned myself to never seeing it happen.

Now we're there, could it be..................

The helicopter bit was great as it was when they showed the teams leaving the cup final hotels and fans lining the route with their scarves and flags. That used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and I so wanted it to be us instead of Leeds, Ipswich, Arsenal, Southampton, Man Utd et al

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
It's just because I grew up watching the FA cup when it was a real national event. I have fond memories of watching the final when I was a kid in the 1990s. I would love to be able to add a memory to the collection of Villa lifting the cup, as opposed to the memory of the dismal final in 2000.
This. The whole day was magic and I wanted Aston Villa desperately to be part of it.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
I don't think it's too defeatist to say we've no chance of winning the league, for how long that will continue who knows but it doesn't look great. Therefore the FA Cup is the biggest thing we've got and we're one match away from doing it. That's so exciting, such a brilliant prospect. The way I feel now is if we win it, it makes all the other shite we have to put up with in our supporting lives meaningless and I can die a happy man (and I say that as a youngish man of 34) It's that important to me.

Of course even if we win I'll still be moaning next season but you know what I mean!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
To me when I was a little kid the FA Cup was the ultimate crowning achievement. I'd hear people saying winning the league was more important but to me it just wouldn't register. The FA Cup final was the biggest match of the season and a celebration of football rolled into one. The build up, FA Cup football focus... the road to Wembley... all the silly novelty programs... seeing the players in their suits on the turf... abide with me... and then great matches like the ones we saw in the late 70s early 80s. It just always hurt that Villa were never part of this celebration.  Finally we made it in 2000, but we all know how that turned out.  Now this time let's do ourselves justice - and go running round the Bullring with the Cup!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
Because my "2015 FA Cup Winners" tattoo is going to look bloody stupid otherwise.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
My son was born this year. He will be our only child.

I can't wait to watch the game with him only 6 weeks old draped in my old Acorns top - albeit in his pram.

I want to bore him to tears when he's older about the day we won the cup.

Hopefully he will be able to re live the day with me when he is of an age to remember and wryly smile when this senile old codger starts going on about 30th May 2015.

I can hope and wish.

Offline richard moore

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »
I don't think it's too defeatist to say we've no chance of winning the league, for how long that will continue who knows but it doesn't look great. Therefore the FA Cup is the biggest thing we've got and we're one match away from doing it. That's so exciting, such a brilliant prospect. The way I feel now is if we win it, it makes all the other shite we have to put up with in our supporting lives meaningless and I can die a happy man (and I say that as a youngish man of 34) It's that important to me.

Of course even if we win I'll still be moaning next season but you know what I mean!

It's all the other shite that makes it peculiarly so rewarding. I know Chelsea fans round here who could never get the same pleasure from winning the league as I do from winning a game, as they weren't there when their club was shit. It's difficult to put into words but I know that they know that too, but they never acknowledge it, at least not overtly. I see it in odd little ways, like the stacks of Christmas cards we receive, often from people we don't hear from all year, but which always make some reference, normally of the jokey derogatory kind, to me and the Villa. Every single one of those people knows how much it means to me

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »
Because my "2015 FA Cup Winners" tattoo is going to look bloody stupid otherwise.
Just buy a one piece bikini to cover it  but of course you won't need to as you will be flashing it with pride come 7.30  on May 30!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
Another here waiting to fill in the last trophy. I won't be at the game but will be with my father who's coming over so hopefully we can complete the set together. I see no acheivement in reaching the final, it's all about winning it, nothing else matters. It's going to be the most nervous 90 minutes for a very, very long time. Whilst I would love us to win it in style, I really don't care how we win it as long as we do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal