collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Chosen Few  (Read 5620 times)

Offline selly park trinity

• GM : Jan, 2014
Re: The Chosen Few
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »
Small world - Old folks live on Upland Rd, I live on Oakfield Rd.

First game was Villa v Coventry in either 87 or 88 - 1-1.  They hit the post in the last minute and could have sent us down so I was told!

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »

First game was Villa v Coventry in either 87 or 88 - 1-1.  They hit the post in the last minute and could have sent us down so I was told!

My best friend lived in Upland Road I think and his dad was responsible for designing the Jensen Intercepter which was the 'must have' car of the early 70s. They had one which we used to pose in along the Bristol Road into town. Is that the road that ran parallel to Selly Wick Road?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »
Born in Bedford, but my granddad was from Aston and I just was always going to support Villa. It hasn't been overly joyous for a lot of the time, but I wouldn't change who I support for anything.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
Like so many on here - born into it.

I'm in the 3rd (of what has now become 5 generations) generation of Villa supporters in my family.  No matter how bad times have got over the last 48 years (first went in Feb 1967), would never want to support any other team (even if you offered me 500 million pounds for doing it).

Offline selly park trinity

• GM : Jan, 2014
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »

My best friend lived in Upland Road I think and his dad was responsible for designing the Jensen Intercepter which was the 'must have' car of the early 70s. They had one which we used to pose in along the Bristol Road into town. Is that the road that ran parallel to Selly Wick Road?

Yeah it is.  Lived there 86-98.  Hence Selly Park Trinity- genius

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
I recall a banner at (I think) the 1975 LC final proclaiming us as the Chosen Few...anyone got a copy of it?

From the Wembley surfer flag thread

That's it!  Cheers

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
I recall a banner at (I think) the 1975 LC final proclaiming us as the Chosen Few...anyone got a copy of it?

Edit - April 1978...Villa 0 Forest 1.... the beggining of a lifetime's devotion
Do you remember possibly the most blatant handball of all time by the disgusting Kenny Burns from Sid on the goal line? The next programme had a crystal clear Terry Weir special, of it, the whole ground saw it - apart from the referee, something's never change.

I remember that vividly.  What was disgusting about that was IIRC, whilst we were protesting, they went up the other end (Holte) and scored!  I was apoplectic, my mates had to hold me back from getting on to the pitch and kicking fuck out of that ref!

Online Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Stepfather took me. I think my first season was 79-80. Grandad also used to take me on the coach from Leamington to the EC games. Magic times.
Loved the colours and the name as well.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
From my BBC chat the other day.

"This is everything to me. The missing piece of the jigsaw. The Holy Grail. That itch you can't ever scratch"

Online steamer

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Dad was a villain ( which is strange as he was actually a policeman) I was born in Marston Green Hospital as were I guess many of my generation.
But we lived In Aston Church Road as Dad was a copper at Washwood Heath police station.
His Dad was from Hereford and played back in the day for Worcester City, but supported the Villa, no choice really.
First game I remember was Everton at home, last game at home in Div 1 as we started our meteoric drop to the 3rd.
Good times were just around the corner.
I was standing bottom left below that picture from the programme.
Thanks Dad,
Sniffles and wipes a tear from his eye.

Offline peter w

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
This is stuck I my head now so I don't see why I should be the only one to suffer.

All day. All bloody day. And I didn't even click on the video.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
From my BBC chat the other day.

"This is everything to me. The missing piece of the jigsaw. The Holy Grail. That itch you can't ever scratch"

This. In buckets.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »
because my my Dad was Born in Aston in 1914, as was his Dad in 1895, As was his Dad in 1875, as was his Dad in 1853.

So I am the 5th Generation, and my son is the 6th generation. 

So we can trace our history back to George Hamilton Gordon the 4th Earl of Aberdeen.

Just when the Crimian war starts.

Now that doesn't make me a better fan than anyone Its just nice to know in my family, there was a Villa connection whilst Napoleon was still alive
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:37:50 PM by Colhint »

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »
Moved to Birmingham from the Channel islands . started to get into football . the school was full of Blues and Leeds and Man u fans . my Dad was a Leeds fan .  but I sat down one day watching a match on an old black and white tv.

I asked my dad who was playing and what were the colour of thier kit .  my Dad explained Portsmouth was in Blue and White and Aston Villa was Claret and Blue , I liked the name and the colours . my dad then gave me a history lesson on Aston Villa . a famous old club that was in a terrible decline .

They needed tonwin to almost certainly being relegated to the third division . I asked where is Aston Villa . he said right here in Birmingham .  I think were were losing 2 0 at the time but came back to 2 all . before eventually losing .   I cried and that was it . Aston Villa was my team .   so the legacy started . my kids are die hards . there partners who are both American watch every game .  and first grandchild has a kit before she was born .

I have been privileged to have some of the best friends I could have wished for through Aston Villa many are still very close friends over 30 years on .

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »
Great thread, Thank you itbrvilla,

me born Potters Hill Aston, my Dad was from Derby but supported Aston Villa,

from cradle to the grave Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal