collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Chosen Few  (Read 5626 times)

Offline KKAVFC

Re: The Chosen Few
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
My Mom allowed me to watch MOTD one night around 1970 (I was almost 11) & we were playing at Craven Cottage so I was taken to VP the following season and recall watching from the Holte v Rotherham. Happy Days !! Thanks Mom (RIP)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
I recall a banner at (I think) the 1975 LC final proclaiming us as the Chosen Few...anyone got a copy of it?

Edit - April 1978...Villa 0 Forest 1.... the beggining of a lifetime's devotion
Do you remember possibly the most blatant handball of all time by the disgusting Kenny Burns from Sid on the goal line? The next programme had a crystal clear Terry Weir special, of it, the whole ground saw it - apart from the referee, something's never change.

Offline KRS

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:34:09 PM »
When I was just a twinkle in my fathers eye.

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16:24 PM »
I wish this was different, but here it goes.

I was just getting into football (I don't really come from a football family) and didn't have SKY so in my early days had more exposure to Italian football than English. I didn't even have a team to follow.

My dad worked at Land Rover and gave Doug and Brian Little a car each, in exchange for season tickets to entertain clients. Turns out those clients didn't really exist. He took me to my first match, 0-0 with West Ham and then only missed 3 in the next four years. I didn't pay for a single one. I never forget how lucky I was.

Twenty odd years later, I'm still here. I talk about football on the World Service and my daughter is 8 and a huge Charlton fan.

My dad still hates football.

Fair play, Old Man. I bloody love you for that.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
I wish this was different, but here it goes.

I was just getting into football (I don't really come from a football family) and didn't have SKY so in my early days had more exposure to Italian football than English. I didn't even have a team to follow.

My dad worked at Land Rover and gave Doug and Brian Little a car each, in exchange for season tickets to entertain clients. Turns out those clients didn't really exist. He took me to my first match, 0-0 with West Ham and then only missed 3 in the next four years. I didn't pay for a single one. I never forget how lucky I was.

Twenty odd years later, I'm still here. I talk about football on the World Service and my daughter is 8 and a huge Charlton fan.

My dad still hates football.

Fair play, Old Man. I bloody love you for that.

brilliant, nothing to wish different there mate

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »
I recall a banner at (I think) the 1975 LC final proclaiming us as the Chosen Few...anyone got a copy of it?

Edit - April 1978...Villa 0 Forest 1.... the beggining of a lifetime's devotion
Do you remember possibly the most blatant handball of all time by the disgusting Kenny Burns from Sid on the goal line? The next programme had a crystal clear Terry Weir special, of it, the whole ground saw it - apart from the referee, something's never change.

Yes I do...in fact I still have the programme somewhere with Burns' ugly face on the Forest team page scribbled out by a devastated 8 year old...

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11:52 PM »
First match - Villa 1 Ipswich 1, 1980 - a meaningless fixture, a year later, very much a pivotal one.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
I went to that one!

Tony Morley's rocket!

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
This is stuck I my head now so I don't see why I should be the only one to suffer.

I have no idea how your head works Joe, and I have no inclination to find out either.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:24 AM »
1967… "Mom, why does dad make me support Villa?"
"Because you're very special son, now eat your bread and dripping or you'll never be big enough to play for them."

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 02:13:02 AM »

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 02:23:39 AM »

From the Wembley surfer flag thread

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
First match - Villa 1 Ipswich 1, 1980 - a meaningless fixture, a year later, very much a pivotal one.

A lot of people licking their wounds after W Ham away in the FA Cup  IIRC

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
Dad brought up in Gravelly Hill and I can remember all round there before Spaghetti Junction was built...but only just! His mum and dad were Villa and could tell great stories about the 20s and 30s when we were the biggest club in the land. My first game at VP, oddly, didn't involve us as I think it was the Charity Shield between West Brom and Man City at Villa in about 72 and I sat in the old Trinity Road stand. I lived in Selly Wick Road at the back of Selly Oak and we spent endless hours in the evening and the weekends pretending to be Chico Hamilton, Frank Carrodus, Brian Little, Ray Graydon and so on and so on.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:08:17 PM by richard moore »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal