collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wembley FA Cup Final Villa Surfer Flag  (Read 36117 times)

Offline KRS

Wembley FA Cup Final Villa Surfer Flag
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:34:29 AM »
Not sure if this is allowed so apologies to H&V mods in advance if it breaks any cross Villa fan site politics...but would be nice if all Villa fans could unite on the sentiment on this one.

Wembley FA Cup Final Villa Surfer Flag

Project aim
To create an iconic Villa supporter-owned 20x20 metre giant surfer flag especially for the FA Cup Final.

About the project
Lets face it we were all a little dissapointed by the club's surfer flag at the semi-final, it was the only blot on the perfect Wembley day. The mosaic was great and it certainly helped blow the Liverpool's fans away, which in turn spurred on the players and gave them belief on the pitch.

To win the FA Cup final, we'll need to be perfect to help our team beat a talented Arsenal team.

The club have a scarf display planned and Wembley will hand out free mini flags, but of course this is a bit of a manufactured atmosphere.

We have got wind that Arsenal will have a surfer flag. Since Villa will not bring a surfer this time, as supporters we want to create a surfer flag that will go head-to-head with Arsenal's, before the club's planned scarf display happens.

The eyes of the world will be on us and such an iconic surfer will win a lot of admirers.

IS IT POSSIBLE?
Maybe, if we all act fast. We have less than 24 hours - IGNORE THE TIME LEFT ON THE PAGE (minium setting was two weeks). I've had a Chinese company get back to me saying they can deliver on time a 20x20m surfer - 3 days production time and 4 days delivery- before the 29th May. The cost is £1900 (around £400 will be the express courier cost) - with paypal fees/crowdfunder's fees, lets round it up to £2000.

I got a quote from one of the only UK companies who could do such a job and they said, it would cost £12,000!

So you can see the scope of what we're trying to pull off here.

So, here's the plan...

DESIGN
There's no time to mull over designs. The 'Villa Pistols' design though has the perfect underdog attitude going up against one of the football establishment's 'Sky Four'.  The design is iconic and will be known by football supporters around the world watching the game, as it draws from a classic design (and a bloody good album too).

The lead singer of the Sex Pistols is also a massive Arsenal fan (who's views on the direction of the game we actually share), so there's a cheeky wink there and also 'Birmingham' is actually namechecked in the lyrics to 'Bodies' on the album.

It's also original and will be respected as a 'supporter flag' and not a generic/pc type of flag that the club itself would do.

It will be MUCH MORE impressive than the one surfed at the semi-final and twice as big!

Read more: Linky

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Wembley FA Cup Final Villa Surfer Flag
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
Edited now I've read the post in full.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »
Any flag should just reference the Villa, that's my view anyway.
It's something the blues do about us.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:30:17 AM »
Why not just take the one from the Holte lower and use that? Does it belong to an individual or is it the club's?

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
I like the idea but I think the flag is terrible. It shouldn't make reference to them.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
Nah! - Why the punk theme to it? or any reference to them for that matter.....

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:52:53 AM »
I think you should check that the material is flame proof if you order it or it will not be allowed in the ground.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:56:22 AM »
I like the punk theme.

It fits in with our 'back to the dark ages' rioting fans image!

I think Villa only took the little flag last time because we were doing the mosaic. Clearly it is logistically possible to take a much larger flag because Liverpool did.

I've supported this because it is something, and it is different, and it if it works it'll have been something that has come direct from the fans, and I like its anarchic edge.

It's a shame it mentions Arsenal but I kind of read them as representing the Sky 4 on this, and it's not like singing about teams you aren't playing. I don't mind us singing about Blues when we are actually playing them, it's going on about them the rest of the time I object to, so the Arsenal mention is OK by me.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:58:35 AM »
I like the idea but I think the flag is terrible. It shouldn't make reference to them.

same here.

Offline nigel

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »

This.

I agree with the other comments regarding not mentioning the opposition. It should be just Villa

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:15 AM »

This.

I agree with the other comments regarding not mentioning the opposition. It should be just Villa

Once again, another one for great idea but no mention of Arsenal. It's going to be re-used for future occasions when we won't be playing them.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »
I wonder what Arsenal fan John Lydon would make of it?

Offline frank black

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:18:29 AM »
Not Villa enough and for that reason I'm oot.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
I still have the gigantic silk flag. Not flame-proof, though, so it cannot be brought into the ground.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 08:39:04 AM »
I like the punk theme.

It fits in with our 'back to the dark ages' rioting fans image!

I think Villa only took the little flag last time because we were doing the mosaic. Clearly it is logistically possible to take a much larger flag because Liverpool did.

I've supported this because it is something, and it is different, and it if it works it'll have been something that has come direct from the fans, and I like its anarchic edge.

It's a shame it mentions Arsenal but I kind of read them as representing the Sky 4 on this, and it's not like singing about teams you aren't playing. I don't mind us singing about Blues when we are actually playing them, it's going on about them the rest of the time I object to, so the Arsenal mention is OK by me.

"Never Mind The Sky Four It's The Villa" - That would be much better and it means the flag could be re-used.     Like others, I don't like the flag name-checking another team. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal