collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rio de Janeiro - FA Cup Final  (Read 2147 times)

Offline McD

Rio de Janeiro - FA Cup Final
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:05 PM »
It's a long shot but you never know...

I'll be in Rio on the day and wondered if there'll be anyone watching the final there / if anyone knows of a good spot in the city to watch the match. I'm travelling up with a mate to watch the Fla x Flu derby on the Sunday and hoping to find a good place to watch a bit of history take place!

*Mods: not sure if right forum - please move if not. Thanks*

Offline greenwichvilla

Re: Rio de Janeiro - FA Cup Final
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
My mate was there working during the World Cup last year for six weeks.

I'll ask him tomorrow for you.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
The Irish bar will have it on

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:06:38 PM »
I found Carioca da Gema  by Carioca Aquaduct very good. Good food and loads of screens. This is in the Lapa district and there is loads more however PM Brazilian Villain

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
It depends on where you're staying. A lot of bars should be showing it (like PL games) so there's no point going all the way into Lapa especially early on a weekend as it'll be dead. I'd be inclined to watch it in a beachfront bar on Ave. Avenida Atlantica or in Ipanema. Blue Agave on Vinicius de Moraes shows Scottish football games (the "Bhoys from Brasil" meet there) so there may be some footie fans in there if they're showing the Scottish final beforehand.

Enjoy Fla-Flu. I hope you'll be supporting Fluminense which is my team there as they wear claret, white and green. Flamengo are more like the Man U of Brasil and their fans are just as annoying. You're probably safer in the Flu end anyway. Again I would drink in Copa or Ipanema before taking the Metro out to the stadium.

No real info yet on tickets sold but will probably only be less than half full.

Any other questions on Rio let me know!

Offline McD

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies, one and all.

Will probably take a walk around Copa beforehand to see if anywhere looks lively, and will drop by this Blue Agave place for a look. Be good to find somewhere with a bit of atmosphere - even the commentary in Portuguese would be a start! I've been to Rio quite a few times - I live in São Paulo - so I know Lapa tends to be quiet until the evening.

As for the derby, I'm a São Paulo fan over here so I'm just going for the spectacle and will 'supporting' whichever team's fans I end up in the middle of!

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 01:00:23 AM »
No problem, you're Tricolor Paulista, I'm support the Tricolor there ! ;)

I know a Villa fan and a Gooner  living in Rio (both sound lads) and we're all part of the same social circle there so I'll check to see if they're meeting up soemwhere for the game.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »
Try the Irish bar , downtown Rio. Good bar. 

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
It depends on where you're staying. A lot of bars should be showing it (like PL games) so there's no point going all the way into Lapa especially early on a weekend as it'll be dead. I'd be inclined to watch it in a beachfront bar on Ave. Avenida Atlantica or in Ipanema. Blue Agave on Vinicius de Moraes shows Scottish football games (the "Bhoys from Brasil" meet there) so there may be some footie fans in there if they're showing the Scottish final beforehand.

Enjoy Fla-Flu. I hope you'll be supporting Fluminense which is my team there as they wear claret, white and green. Flamengo are more like the Man U of Brasil and their fans are just as annoying. You're probably safer in the Flu end anyway. Again I would drink in Copa or Ipanema before taking the Metro out to the stadium.

No real info yet on tickets sold but will probably only be less than half full.

Any other questions on Rio let me know!

Me watching it in the Globe next door to Chichester railway station doesn't have quite the same ring about it, does it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal