collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The How to finish in the top 10 next season thread.  (Read 2962 times)

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
Re: The How to finish in the top 10 next season thread.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
Bit harsh saying we definitely need new keeper.
Guzan made one clanger, which keeper doesn't now and again? other than that he's a solid keeper.

Only 2 years ago he was voted fans player of the year ahead of a a 24 goals scoring Benteke.

Think when he comes back into the team he will come back stronger than before like Mignolet at Liverpool.

It would cost £8m+ to get a keeper better than Guzan, money which could be spent in a real crisis position like left back. I wouldn't write off Guzan just yet.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 10:14:29 PM »
Give Sherwood at least £25m and see what he can do with it. No more scratching around the bargain basements with £9m or so to spend.

This seems more than reasonable.

Offline peter w

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 03:57:57 AM »
As true as it is we definitely need a keeper as Given has shown he is now past it. There's no point going out and buying a number 2 for a goalkeeper who has in all fairness had a very poor season by his standards. Yes, he may have a better season next season. He may not. And if not I don't want to be in a position of relying on our number 2 whether it's Given or Steer. For that reason, and that's why its hard on the goalkeeper in any team, we need to freshen it up with someone coming in.

We do need a left-back but I wouldn't call it a crisis position. I think Cissokho's gone and Sherwood has already said that he'll have a look at Bennett when he's back. If he can be the marauding left full back that his promise showed (even if the performances largely did not) then no reason to get someone else in there.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 04:32:45 AM »
Try to beat the 11th-20th teams home and away?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 07:19:55 AM »
We definitely need to tighten up at the back. A more constant back five would help. Clark is the one man I'd say is a certainty though that's assuming he maintains this form.
I think Hutton or bacuna are ok options at RB so it's the keeper,CB and LB positions we need to focus on

If we lose cissokho, senderos, and perhaps vlaar then so be it

The real challenge would be replacing benteke if we need to

Tim has never bought a player and all the signals are he's not keen on a director of football and does seem keen on lower league players. I hope we're not reliant on that route completely.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »
The most important acquisition will be a defence coach. For 5 seasons at least we have defended with naïveté and ineptitude, particularly for set pieces.
Leicester have proved this season that tightening up the defence is the platform to a change in fortunes. We need to become difficult to beat, without losing our newly-found attacking capability.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
Try to beat the 11th-20th teams home and away?

That would be 60 points for starters

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
We definitely need to tighten up at the back. A more constant back five would help. Clark is the one man I'd say is a certainty though that's assuming he maintains this form.
I think Hutton or bacuna are ok options at RB so it's the keeper,CB and LB positions we need to focus on

Tim has never bought a player and all the signals are he's not keen on a director of football and does seem keen on lower league players. I hope we're not reliant on that route completely.

You say he has never bought a player, yet then say he seems keen on lower league players. What makes you think that?

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »

You say he has never bought a player, yet then say he seems keen on lower league players. What makes you think that?

Press speculation and the fact that he was spotted in the crowd at Swindon.

I'd buy a partner for Benteke, Jovetic or someone of that ilk who can drop deep and be useful on the wings.  Succession planning for when he does leave, or in other words spending the money in advance of him leaving.  If we had two top strikers then I think that would get us into the top half.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:55:05 PM by Dante Lavelli »

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »
Yes, press speculation, he should have been at Barcelona and looking at Messi

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
I am worried that Benteke will be gone and that will be a big void to fill. However, I have confidence that the manager will have players in mind that will make us better. He has done great with the players so far, he will have players in mind that he may have been involved with before, but he seems the type of bloke people will want to play for. Lets hope his smooth talking can keep Benteke for another season

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Agreed. I really hope we keep The Beast.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »
Agreed. I really hope we keep The Beast.

If he keeps the beast, he can have the use of my beast as much as he wants, she seems to like him after hating football for 30 years lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal