collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Big Decisions For Villa In Summer, What's Priority ?  (Read 7843 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Big Decisions For Villa In Summer, What's Priority ?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
When they said they were looking to bring in Tony Adams in a football capacity, I didn't think they meant at centre-half.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
As horrendous as today was, I hardly think we should be overreacting: we always needed a couple of defenders this summer regardless of how things turned out. If one of Clark and Baker continue the progress they've made this season, left-sided centre back should be alright. We'll need a right-sided CB, because Okore's still obviously got a way to go, especially in terms of consistency and the mental side of things, and Senderos is completely unreliable in terms of his availability. As for RB, today I think was merely proof that Bacuna can't play every week there, but I don't think it's exactly dire with him and Hutton taking turns at that spot. LB is the other big question, but who knows, maybe we'll luck out and find one or two serviceable options there from Richardson, Bennett, Cissokho or Lowton.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Have to keep hold of Benteke, end of.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
It's a challenging summer. Uncertainty over ownership. Need to sign cleverly and hold on to benteke to stay still. Then I'd prioritise a left back after that.

I think we've had enough games this season where the defence has been good not to rip everything up. The problem today was the tactics - a ludicrously poorly coordinated high line - as the players.

Remember a few haven't been fit,  including okore. So rest him and a fair few others next weekend

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
Play Gil, Robinson and Sinclair against Burnley...

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
1. Let Vlaar go and replace appropriately.
2. Okore has one more season to prove himself to me - I've not been impressed so far, but he is apparently carrying an injury, hence the extra season.
3. Keep Clark, Baker, Hutton, Bacuna, Lowton & Cissokho. Get a new left back to compete with Aly.
4. Sign TC up
5. Guzan + a new keeper to fight for the Keeper shirt. Given, release or coaching role.
6. Extend CB contract.
7. Bring Kozak, Bennett, Gardner, Bent etc into the fold and evaluate in preseason or until January if required.
8. Gabby has one more season to get >10 league goals, if not bye, bye.
9. Weimann and Cole can leave.
10. N'Zog out, Sinclair in.
11. Find a few younger players to push the seniors and develop.

Online dekko

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »
Assuming we keep Benteke and Cleverly and Sinclair sign permanently, in order of priority:

1. Replace Vlaar with a proper commanding CB who can play alongside Clark (preferably a bearded Norseman)

2. New LB

3. Ball-playing DM - ie half Westy half Sanchez

4. Box to Box midfielder to challenge Delph and Cleverly

5. New keeper

6. New CF to complement/challenge Benteke/Kozak/Gabby and replace Weimann

Of course, if anyone goes, they'll need replacing in addition to the ones listed above.  Also, if we win the cup and qualify for Europe we'll need a shitload of squad players too.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
The most important acquisition will be a defence coach. For 5 seasons at least we have defended with naïveté and ineptitude, particularly for set pieces.
Leicester have proved this season that tightening up the defence is the platform to a change in fortunes. We need to become difficult to beat, without losing our newly-found attacking capability.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »
Assuming we keep Benteke and Cleverly and Sinclair sign permanently, in order of priority:

1. Replace Vlaar with a proper commanding CB who can play alongside Clark (preferably a bearded Norseman)

2. New LB

5. New keeper

Of course, if anyone goes, they'll need replacing in addition to the ones listed above.  Also, if we win the cup and qualify for Europe we'll need a shitload of squad players too.
Gabby has to go he simply isn't good enough at this level, hasn't been for 2/3 seasons. Not only a box to box midfielder, a goal scoring midfielder. Despite our excellent form, since TS arrived, our only real goal threat has been from Benteke and recently Cleverley.

Online dekko

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
Gabby has to go he simply isn't good enough at this level, hasn't been for 2/3 seasons. Not only a box to box midfielder, a goal scoring midfielder. Despite our excellent form, since TS arrived, our only real goal threat has been from Benteke and recently Cleverley.
[/quote]

I'd hold on to Gabby and use him as and when required, eg against teams that play a high line or as an impact sub against teams chasing a lead.  Basically I still think he's a very very useful player to have in situations where he can use his pace, but not much use otherwise.  He probably shouldn't be starting though.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »

2. New LB

5. New keeper

Totally agree, but that little lot is going to be costly.  Hopefully Gardner can step up and give us another option in midfield , but I still think we will need another option even if Cleverley signs. 

Offline LTA

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »
I'd like to see a defensive coach brought in to be honest.  Sherwood has shown here and at Spurs that his teams are prone to the odd humping.

Its great that we the and play on the front foot and as he's said, this team isn't good enough to try and defend for long spells, but with safety assured, its something which needs addressing.

We cant have another season of just going bat shit for goals without having some solidity

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal