collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert on TalkSport  (Read 12355 times)

Offline CT Villan

Re: Lambert on TalkSport
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »
Nothing against him (now) but seems to me that he was overly reliant on Culverhouse and Karsa and once they were removed he didn't know what to do. He needs a strong backroom team for him to be successful which I guess speaks volumes about his own abilities.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
If Dean Saunders can get another job Paul Lambert certainly can.

There's such a dearth of managerial talent out there that you are probably right, but he has really damaged his reputation over the last 6 months with his adoption of TSM1's twin headed monster of eye-bleedingly dull and painful to watch football that also manages to be massively ineffective.  The contrast under Sherwood with the same squad has really underlined that enormous double failure.   If I were a chairman I'd certainly be be considering that, and the other unwanted records he's broken,  at least as much as his relative successes with Colchester and Norwich as a guide.   Plus he has to contend with the Villa curse - very few of our ex-managers have gone on to achieve anything significant in the game elsewhere.   

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »
Lambert will get another job for sure. You wonder though if he needs to do a McLaren and work abroad for a year or two.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
What I don't understand with Lambert is that by the end of season 1 he seemed to have cracked it. We taken a load of pain in the first half of the season as what was effectively a new team of young players found their feet. Come the end of the season we were playing well, scoring goals and registering some stirring wins. The future looked to be ours.

Rather than push on, in season 2 he seemed to become absolutely paralysed with fear. It  just got worse and worse. Why he abandoned the things that he had finally got working before is a real mystery. We had two seasons of it. Did he really think that what he was doing would eventually come good?

Baffling.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 03:28:08 PM »
My theory is that he was almost too successful, results-wise, at Norwich, because it meant that he didn't really have time to slow up and develop some contingencies as a manager; which then meant that once he hit a speed bump and had to make adjustments, he really had very little experience and ideas as to what to do; and the PL and a club like Villa isn't exactly a situation where you can afford to take your time on those things. By the end, he was just completely devoid of any inspiration, and just playing out the string. I think a couple of seasons at a stable Championship club will do him good in that regard.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
I offer him no good-will whatsoever. He arrived with promise and departed as one of the, if not the most, dreadful manager's this club has ever had. His football and results over the vast majority of the three years he was in charge was an embarrassment.

If i ever see him at Villa Park again in whatever capacity, it will be too soon. Good riddance and jog on!

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
I offer him no good-will whatsoever. He arrived with promise and departed as one of the, if not the most, dreadful manager's this club has ever had. His football and results over the vast majority of the three years he was in charge was an embarrassment.

If i ever see him at Villa Park again in whatever capacity, it will be too soon. Good riddance and jog on!
How I feel.  Never been more miserable as a Villa fan.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
You'd think, if he had any sense at all, he'd keep a low profile after being shown up as utterly shit at his job.

I don't begrudge him putting himself back in the shop window. Despite his obvious flaws as a coach and tactician he obviously had some merits in terms of overseeing the club and in terms of massive uncertainty and austerity. His record at all of his previous clubs also suggests that he does have some level of ability.

Isn't the Brentford Manager leaving at the end of the season? I'd suggest that as an ideal fit for him, if so.
What Austerity, just another Media Myth.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
Lambert will get another job for sure. You wonder though if he needs to do a McLaren and work abroad for a year or two.

Renting pedalos out in Magaluf

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »

I read that completely wrong  :o

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
Thank God he's not here any more. If he'd stayed, we'd already have long running threads like 'The Championship - Is it that bad?'

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
The mad idea of Guzan bowling it out to the fullbacks and going to Germany and coming back with a brand new tactic of keeping the ball but not creating any chances showed that he'd lost it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 05:56:13 PM »

He would alter them so they could only go sideways and backwards before they would sink like a stone.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »

One of the smaller German clubs might suit him.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Thank God he's not here any more. If he'd stayed, we'd already have long running threads like 'The Championship - Is it that bad?'

'Which League One ground are you looking forward to visiting the most?'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal