collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 08:34:24 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 08:33:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 08:33:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 08:33:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 08:33:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 08:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 08:31:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert on TalkSport  (Read 12351 times)

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
Re: Lambert on TalkSport
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
I wish I knew how to change my username at this point!

Anyway I think he will be very much employable still. Yes the footy was shite and we may have got relegated this season, but for a relatively small spend he kept us in the PL for 2 seasons. Owners of clubs like that, they don't care about style or entertainment (see FTA under Pullis), just the Sky money.

A kindly moderator could help with that if you tell them what you'd prefer to be known as.

Offline peter w

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
I can't remember which manager it was who said it but after being given the bullet he was asked what he'll do and he said, don't know, stay at home/garden, go and watch some games...(i'm paraphrasing). Its what managers do. If you're going to be managing in the top flight you're not going to sit at home and do nothing you're going to keep yourself in the loop by going to games. If we had hired Sherwood and found that he spent the last 6 months in Dubai or the Maldives we'd be questioning his motivation, his up-to-date knowledge of the game and the players, and why he wanted a job now. i bet Sherwood went to lots of games and not just Villa. Funny how none of this was mentioned before Keane's book.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
If Dean Saunders can get another job Paul Lambert certainly can.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »
I can only ever hear Dean Saunders name in Big Rons voice.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
You'd think, if he had any sense at all, he'd keep a low profile after being shown up as utterly shit at his job.

I don't begrudge him putting himself back in the shop window. Despite his obvious flaws as a coach and tactician he obviously had some merits in terms of overseeing the club and in terms of massive uncertainty and austerity. His record at all of his previous clubs also suggests that he does have some level of ability.

Isn't the Brentford Manager leaving at the end of the season? I'd suggest that as an ideal fit for him, if so.

He's a rich man, he can afford to take a short break from the shop window. And he'd be well advised to do so, as his record is being magnified for its shitness due to the success of Sherwood under much the same conditions. In fact, much of the mess we were in until very recently was of Lambert's making. If I were Paul Lambert, I'd wait until the fuss over my successor had died down a bit before putting my face out there.

The problem for Lambert is that I don't think "out of sight, out of mind" applies to many professions as much as it does football management. Look at the amount of Managers who have decided to "take a break" after losing jobs, only to find themselves effectively forgotten about when the next wave of vacancies come around. DOL and TSM1 are just 2 of the many examples. It's a very fast-moving industry, I think he's being quite shrewd (for a change) but getting himself into the shop window as early as he can.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
You'd think, if he had any sense at all, he'd keep a low profile after being shown up as utterly shit at his job.

I don't begrudge him putting himself back in the shop window. Despite his obvious flaws as a coach and tactician he obviously had some merits in terms of overseeing the club and in terms of massive uncertainty and austerity. His record at all of his previous clubs also suggests that he does have some level of ability.

Isn't the Brentford Manager leaving at the end of the season? I'd suggest that as an ideal fit for him, if so.

He's a rich man, he can afford to take a short break from the shop window. And he'd be well advised to do so, as his record is being magnified for its shitness due to the success of Sherwood under much the same conditions. In fact, much of the mess we were in until very recently was of Lambert's making. If I were Paul Lambert, I'd wait until the fuss over my successor had died down a bit before putting my face out there.

The problem for Lambert is that I don't think "out of sight, out of mind" applies to many professions as much as it does football management. Look at the amount of Managers who have decided to "take a break" after losing jobs, only to find themselves effectively forgotten about when the next wave of vacancies come around. DOL and TSM1 are just 2 of the many examples. It's a very fast-moving industry, I think he's being quite shrewd (for a change) but getting himself into the shop window as early as he can.

Fair enough, but if I were a chairman I'd see Lambert and think, ooh, there's Paul Lambert - everything he touched turned to shit, but his successor is in a cup final.

Offline KRS

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
Looks like he's putting himself in the shop window then with his appearance on SSN yesterday too.

As far as I could make out on SSN, he said he had no issues with the club but was disappointed with how he was relieved of his duties via a telephone call whilst he was in Scotland. He still holds Villa and Lerner in high regard, and is happy that Sherwood is doing well...strangely he admitted that he knew the sack was coming (shame it took so long).

The interview was spun to show Lambert in a good light and referenced the cutback in spending (from approx £15m down to £10m over the last 3 seasons...not sure if the net spend figures were accurate), and that he achieved his criteria of cutting spending whilst keeping Villa in the Premier League.

Lambert also stated that he knew the team would start improving and scoring goals again once Benteke regained full fitness...and he only dropped Beneteke to protect him as he wasn't fully fit.

There was no mention that Villa would have got relegated if he'd have remained as manager or how Sherwood is doing a much better job than Lambert with the same group of players.

I guess it will be interesting to see if Lambert turns up at any games where current managers are under pressure in their jobs.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
Fair enough, but if I were a chairman I'd see Lambert and think, ooh, there's Paul Lambert - everything he touched turned to shit, but his successor is in a cup final.

Completely agree, but I guess a prolonged spell of unemployment is only going to diminish his reputation further.

Offline peter w

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
He'll be at derby next season. or Newcastle. Once the merry-go-round starts there'll be an opening. I offer him no ill will and hope he does go on to somewhere. I'm just relieved that he's no longer here.

Offline LTA

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »
Does anyone know what time the interview was?

Just after 8 this morning

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
He'll be at derby next season. or Newcastle. Once the merry-go-round starts there'll be an opening. I offer him no ill will and hope he does go on to somewhere. I'm just relieved that he's no longer here.

These are pretty much my sentiments, too.

Offline Coseley Villa

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
Managing The Villa was just a step beyond him. Fair enough if he wants a Colchester/Norwich/west brom job again.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

That sounds about right to me. He's clearly ready to manage again and I think the Championship is about the right place for him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »

The truth is he's left us with a very decent squad.  Such a shame he couldn't replicate the form of the end of his first season.  At that time I was really excited for the future, kind of in the same way I am now.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 12:48:52 PM »
Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Westwood, Bacuna and hopefully Gil and Kozak suggest he wasn't a bad judge of a player (plus securing Delph), he just didn't know what to do with them. I wish him well, he has never bad mouthed us and I am sure gave the job everything he could.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal