collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert on TalkSport  (Read 12332 times)

Offline LTA

Lambert on TalkSport
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:17:03 AM »
TSM2 has just been on.  He said we'll go again a couple of times.

Also said he wouldn't go to watch a game where the home manager was under pressure................

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Lambert on TalkSport
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:51 AM »
said he wouldn't go to watch a game where the home manager was under pressure................

I don't think many managers would be concerned about him being there

Offline peter w

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:33:58 AM »
I think its the fans that would be worried.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
TSM2 has just been on.  He said we'll go again a couple of times.

Also said he wouldn't go to watch a game where the home manager was under pressure................

Which games did Sherwood actually come to? To be fair, it wasn't really until after the Hull game that Lambert was genuinely under pressure and he was sacked pretty much straight after that. Prior to that we had Tom Fox's "flipping a coin" 'narrative' and I'm pretty sure that - up until that point- there was still a majority of fans who didn't see a viable alternative and therefore didn't want Lambert to be sacked. There certainly wasn't a clamour for Sherwood to be brought in at that time, form anywhere.

Hindsight, eh?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »
You'd think, if he had any sense at all, he'd keep a low profile after being shown up as utterly shit at his job.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
You'd think, if he had any sense at all, he'd keep a low profile after being shown up as utterly shit at his job.

I don't begrudge him putting himself back in the shop window. Despite his obvious flaws as a coach and tactician he obviously had some merits in terms of overseeing the club and in terms of massive uncertainty and austerity. His record at all of his previous clubs also suggests that he does have some level of ability.

Isn't the Brentford Manager leaving at the end of the season? I'd suggest that as an ideal fit for him, if so.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
It may be black or white thinking but he was either bad at his job or the players wanted him out.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »
He left with an air of respect and dignity around him, I hope him putting himself back in the shop window doesnt sour that. He still has (just about) kept his reputation intact due to his tenure being during a period of cutbacks and rectification of previous overspending. This taken alone would probably get him another job and disguises the fact that we were eye bleedingly bad for the best part of two seasons (although the few high points were really good ones). The one thing that is completely shitting on his chips is the fact that Sherwood has taken the same players with an equal (if not higher) amount of injuries and got them to a cup final, got them playing excellent football, got them virtually safe and in the space of 3 months or so completely reversed the malais that hungover the club under his tenure.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
I wish I knew how to change my username at this point!

Anyway I think he will be very much employable still. Yes the footy was shite and we may have got relegated this season, but for a relatively small spend he kept us in the PL for 2 seasons. Owners of clubs like that, they don't care about style or entertainment (see FTA under Pullis), just the Sky money.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »

I don't begrudge him putting himself back in the shop window. Despite his obvious flaws as a coach and tactician he obviously had some merits in terms of overseeing the club and in terms of massive uncertainty and austerity. His record at all of his previous clubs also suggests that he does have some level of ability.

Isn't the Brentford Manager leaving at the end of the season? I'd suggest that as an ideal fit for him, if so.

He's a rich man, he can afford to take a short break from the shop window. And he'd be well advised to do so, as his record is being magnified for its shitness due to the success of Sherwood under much the same conditions. In fact, much of the mess we were in until very recently was of Lambert's making. If I were Paul Lambert, I'd wait until the fuss over my successor had died down a bit before putting my face out there.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »
Does anyone know what time the interview was?

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
I havent got anything personal against the man.

As a manager, his performance was appalling. The football was bad, the motivation was non-existent and the decisions he took (to me) showed he was out of his depth. Its highly unlikely he would get another top level gig. His only chance is to take some lower league provincial backwater ensemble, wipe the shit off and slowly move up the leagues restoring his managerial ability reputation in the process.

If he's cheesed off that Sherwood sat in the stands "when a manager is under pressure" - well frankly thats half the premier league managers on any given Saturday. Lambert couldnt turn it around, stayed too long and could have seriously damaged this club. When we look back on his tenure in years to come, it will take a while to sink in how close this man took us to the abyss. Record after horrific record tumbled as the seasons wore on, crowds plunged, media stuck the knife in, deluded post match soundbites ad nauseum.

Did I mention that he no doubt got a pay off (in millions) to sweeten his fall.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
Managing The Villa was just a step beyond him. Fair enough if he wants a Colchester/Norwich job again.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
Whatever you think of his reign he's played his part in getting us to the cup final - be that in getting us through to the last 16, or in bringing some very good players to the club.
Carles Gil's goal against Bournemouth and his cameo performances against Liverpool and Chelsea remain among the highlights of the season for me.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »
when those lovely Jawdees get relegated and Carver gets the sack Lambert would be a good fit there...

UTV
The Doc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal