collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FA Cup Final Song  (Read 10628 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: FA Cup Final Song
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
If someone does pen a new song for Wembley, I hope they find a way of including the immortal words from this site

'we'll fuck the fuckers'.

A song won't be complete without them.

It would be easy to insert those lyrics into the Thompson Twins 'Doctor Doctor'.

Offline glasses

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
i will definitely struggle to hold myself together during Abide with me.
You won't be alone.

I only gained my ticket for the final due to my terminally ill uncle giving me his ticket. He passed away on Tuesday.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »
Very sorry to hear that Glasses.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
You won't be alone.

I only gained my ticket for the final due to my terminally ill uncle giving me his ticket. He passed away on Tuesday.
RIP and very sorry to hear that .
Another Holte Ender in The Sky.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
You won't be alone.

Bloody Hell mate - sing your heart out!

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
Is it right that "Abide With Me" is a Cup Final tradition started by Frederick Rinder?  I think he suggested it to the FA?  Edit: Yep, a quick Google search tells me it has already been discussed here.  Still, nice to know where the tradition started.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:59:16 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »
Another one here who will be shedding a tear at the singing of "Abide with Me" - it was played at my father`s funeral - always brings an almighty big lump to the throat hearing it. C`mon Villa, do it for VCTM Snr

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
Is it right that "Abide With Me" is a Cup Final tradition started by Frederick Rinder?  I think he suggested it to the FA?  Edit: Yep, a quick Google search tells me it has already been discussed here.  Still, nice to know where the tradition started.

If that's true about Rinder, then need we look any further than Abide With Me for a club anthem?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
Villa, Villa , Villaaa sung SLOWLY and LOUD like the 70s 80s will do just nicely.

Online KRS

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
Well I never...

Finance is important, but we should never forget that we are not talking about a mere business. This is the Aston Villa football club, and it deserves nothing short of the best.

—The Little Book of Aston Villa - Dave Woodhall – page 13

Couldn't have said it better myself...and also couldn't help but chuckle to the use of "the" in that quote after the last couple of days! :D

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »

If that's true about Rinder, then need we look any further than Abide With Me for a club anthem?

A version was sung by some blokes on the Holte in the run up to the 1977 league cup final - back then you would get separate songs and chants from different groups of fans at the same time. The only bit I can recall was "follow the Villa, home and away". (Slightly unusual in that I don't think they sang Abide with Me before the league cup final so I assumed it was just a Wembley related thing).

Do any old timers on here recall this song?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
You won't be alone.

Nothing to add except, enjoy the day, it is absolutely no doubt what he would have wanted.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »

A version was sung by some blokes on the Holte in the run up to the 1977 league cup final - back then you would get separate songs and chants from different groups of fans at the same time. The only bit I can recall was "follow the Villa, home and away". (Slightly unusual in that I don't think they sang Abide with Me before the league cup final so I assumed it was just a Wembley related thing).

It's just come to mind but all I can remember was the same as you. I don't think there was any more.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »

Yes, I remember that being sung, Pat Mac. Along with "We Shall Overcome", "He Was Saying Goodbye to his Horse", "We've got faith in the Villa" and, probably most bizarrely,  The Beach Boys "Barbara Ann" complete with harmonies.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Sixty-four football fans will form an ‘FA Cup Fans choir’ and sing Abide With Me prior to this season’s FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium.

The lucky supporters are the winners of a Songs of Praise competition with each fan representing one of the 64 teams who it to the third round of this year’s competition.

The choir will be mixed and also include a wide spectrum of ages with the youngest participant in their early twenties while the most senior has celebrated their 100th birthday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal