collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Defence  (Read 5512 times)

Offline aj2k77

Our Defence
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:56:16 AM »
Despite our decent run we are on we are still making lots of sloppy errors at the back and conceding a hell of a lot of goals. We've now conceded 180 goals in our last 111 games.

The general consensus is we have some decent defenders. Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Clark, Hutton, Bacuna, all are getting good reviews but the goals are still flowing in.

So where are the improvements to be made and who will get dropped?

Vlaar I don't think has ever been the dominant centre back that we've needed, so I'd like to see us sign a big, dominant, vocal centre back this summer whether Vlaar stays or goes. Obviously the left back situation needs addressing Richardson is not good enough.

Would that be enough to see an immediate improvement?

Offline Damo70

Re: Our Defence
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
I think you sum it up when you say we make sloppy errors at the back. An argument can be made for all of our defenders in respect of them being good players, but as individuals and as a unit they have looked dodgy more often than not. Despite being underwhelmed when we signed him, Senderos looked good and Vlaar seemed happier alongside him. For me Vlaar would not be a massive loss and Baker and Clark should be squad cover as opposed to regulars. I wouldn't write off Cissokho, and the second coming of Hutton has been a plus but I don't rate Bacuna as a defender. I rate Okore. I think in the summer we need a right back, a left back, a centre half and a striker. So the bottom line is, I think we need to strengthen three out of four of our defensive positions.

Offline villa_cads

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »
I think it's a combination of our new attacking approach and an ever changing back four. How many variations have we played this year due to injuries and suspension? At any one point we've lost our first choice from each position and that doesn't help a defence gel. If we can sort that, we'd have the makings of a very good side.

Offline peter w

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
That's the thing villa_cads, we have been chopping and changing all season have been unable to put out a settled back 4 - especially at centre-half. A few games of being together then one player invariably gets injured. Senderos, then Vlaar, then Baker, then Vlaar again, then Clark, then Baker again. Funnily enough the only one to have not got injured is Okore, who had mysteriously disappeared for the first part of the season following injury. The defensive cover is better than under Lambert but we need games together to get a good understanding between the players.

I think in between looking composed Vlaar has also looked nervy and off the game a little - not surprising given how long he's been out. Okore still makes blunders and needs more games next to Vlaar. If we had 10-15 games left I think we'd be fine. As it is Richardson has developed better recently but is not our long term solution to the left-back question that has seemingly set us back every season. I think next season we definitely need a new goalkeeper, left-back, and maybe experienced centre-half. The divisikn we're in will, obviously, be crucial but if Vlaar is fit he'd be worth keeping but we can't keep relying on him and then him breaking down.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
Chopping and changing doesn't help. Constant injuries. Even with Vlaar getting a run now, how long can he sustain it? Can he last another four games before the month is out? Not just in terms of avoiding injury, but after so many, can his legs take it? Okore has had a long hard season too. He's needed that, but he could run out of steam. But the injuries throughout this season in the middle have really seen us struggle to settle on a consistent pairing. Clark and Okore were getting that, but Clarks injury was desperately unfortunate.

At fullback we've had injuries and problems. Bacuna has probably done enough to see out the season as first choice, but his place in the side in that position was a case of needs must. As it happens he has adapted quite well. He's suspect defensively, but at the same time he has improved a fair bit in the department too. What he gives us going forward has been very positive though, but you take the good with the bad when it comes to attack minded fullbacks.

Left back has been the worst area as we've got no one really decent in that position. Right now Rico is filling a gap, but I don't think hes going to be an option there next season if we get the signings we need and avoid injuries. Cissokho is poor on the ball and okay defensively. He's worth keeping around as a back up and given our attacking prowess further forward we don't have to put much onus on him being attacking and creating.

In the goalkeeping positions I honestly think we'll be fine. We'd be lucky to find someone as good as Guzan without spending big. He's had a rough patch but he'll come back fine. Given is good as back up for his final year. If we need a new third option ahead of Steer, then so be it. But for me, if our budget is limited I'd leave the keeper position as it is and just have Brad work on his kicking, whilst also getting our defence to do him a favour in games and not give him pressurized back passes.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »
Everton were the latest team to target Richardson. Nothing against the bloke, but I don't get the same feeling of dread when a winger is bearing down on Bacuna or Hutton.

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Everton were the latest team to target Richardson. Nothing against the bloke, but I don't get the same feeling of dread when a winger is bearing down on Bacuna or Hutton.
Leandro has actually handled some pretty good players and kept them quiet in recent games. He did so against Spurs with all their expensive attacking mids, and he gave Sterling almost no change for Liverpool.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
We were poor in defence as we got no Vikings like Mellberg or Laursen or warriors like Allan Evans, Shaun Teale or Ugo Ehiogu. We need to look at why our defenders are too soft with injuries and lack of clean sheet. From our line up I would keep Hutton and Clark and overhaul the rest.

Offline supertom

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »
We were poor in defence as we got no Vikings like Mellberg or Laursen or warriors like Allan Evans, Shaun Teale or Ugo Ehiogu. We need to look at why our defenders are too soft with injuries and lack of clean sheet. From our line up I would keep Hutton and Clark and overhaul the rest.

Jores is worth keeping I think. And I think if we sort out the left side with someone solid we can afford to have Bacuna on the right (or Hutton in depending on opposition).
We definitely do need a really reliable new first choice though. Someone who isn't injury prone. Lets face it we bought Vlaar and Senderos, both of whom had a history of problems.
If we can get 10-15 games out of Senderos next season then we can keep him on to see out his contract (as I don't see offers forthcoming).
As well as Baker has done for us, I just wonder if now is the time to cash in. A promoted club might fancy taking him.
I would actually also consider selling Hutton. He's been very good this season and one of the few bright spots for Lamberts section. But he's got 2 years left of a deal and is 31 in November. While his stock is up I would cash in. But that's only if we've got quality lined up to replace him.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
How available has Cissokho been since Sherwood took over? Looks like he's played just once (if you don't count Leicester), but I don't know how much time he's spent being injured. I thought he'd be someone who might have been re-energised by Sherwood's arrival - he certainly was solid for a couple of months before dropping off like everyone else.

Offline supertom

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
How available has Cissokho been since Sherwood took over? Looks like he's played just once (if you don't count Leicester), but I don't know how much time he's spent being injured. I thought he'd be someone who might have been re-energised by Sherwood's arrival - he certainly was solid for a couple of months before dropping off like everyone else.
Like everyone he needs his chance to impress the new man, and there's the potential for improvement. We shall see. But an incoming left back this summer is still high on the priorities.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
Like everyone he needs his chance to impress the new man, and there's the potential for improvement. We shall see. But an incoming left back this summer is still high on the priorities.

Just for a change, like.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
Personally I'd build the defence around Clark & Baker with okore as back up.
Hutton is fine but cissoko is back up for me .

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »
Personally I'd build the defence around Clark & Baker with okore as back up.
Hutton is fine but cissoko is back up for me .

I don't think Clark and Baker is a good combination - both left-sided/left-footed; neither has a lot of pace - I think the combos that work are Okore/Clark or Vlaar/Baker.  Okore/Baker might also work, but I can't remember seeing them together for a full game.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
I think Vlaar is as good as gone, and I can't say I'm that bothered about it. He's decent, but that's it, and given his injury record I'm sure we could get 'decent' without the absence record.

I think Okore looks like he has the potential to be a excellent player, so I'd definitely keep him, and it would be between he and Clark for who gets the starting place alongside our new, experienced (but not past it!) centre-back. Baker has improved to the point where I don't worry about him being in the side if needed, and Senderos I would let go.

At full-back, if Hutton can keep up the form that got his new contract then I reckon we're alright there, with Bacuna a relatively sound alternative (although I still think he's a bit crap defensively). On the left I think Cissokho is probably fine, but he's hopeless going forward, whereby Richardson I think needs to be replaced, so along with a new centre-back I'd be after a new left-back too, with Cissokho kept as back-up.

After that, I think it's a case of hoping for an injury-free run for everyone and letting a clear first-choice defence settle in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal