collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Jacob Ramsey by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:28:19 AM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:22:15 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by mrfuse
[Today at 11:16:17 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 11:13:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by coreyfeldman
[Today at 11:10:40 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hands up - Pulis...  (Read 8405 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

Re: Hands up - Pulis...
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
I first uttered the "P" word in the pub after the QPR humiliation in October. In my defence, I was pissed ( despite paying over £5 a pint in some Shepherds Bush  boozer) and I stressed that we should get him on a "Red Addair" style contract - get him in, put out the fire and get him out. I was also disappointed that we still hadn't sacked Lambert by the time Albion signed Pulis and I was sure he'd have kept us up. It was a combination of my bad judgement and the fact that we were in such a fucking mess at the time that I thought anybody would do a better job than the last, hopeless bloke in charge. Looks like we've dodged a bullet but I'd still have taken him at the time, given our situation.

So there's my confession. But at least I never wanted us to take Solskjær a few years ago though - does anyone want to own up to that? there were plenty at the time, I seem to remember, who thought we should take a punt on him   
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:56:23 AM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »
I first uttered the "P" word in the pub after the QPR humiliation in October. In my defence, I was pissed ( despite paying over £5 a pint in some Shepherds Bush  boozer) and I stressed that we should get him on a "Red Addair" style contract - get him in, put out the fire and get him out. I was also disappointed that we still hadn't sacked Lambert by the time Albion signed Pulis and I was sure he'd have kept us up. It was a combination of my bad judgement and the fact that we were in such a fucking mess at the time that I thought would do a better job than the last, hopeless bloke in charge. Looks like we've dodged a bullet but I'd still have taken him at the time, given our situation.

So there's my confession. But at least I never wanted us to take Solskjær a few years ago though - does anyone want to own up to that? there were plenty at the time, I seem to remember, who thought we should take a punt on him   

No always thought Solskjaer was out of his depth in English football, at the top level of it anyway.

On Pulis, don't forget his team have 40 points and are sitting pretty whereas we still need one more win or maybe a couple of draws to confirm our survival.  And lets just seev where we are next season is all I'm saying, if we're back in a scrap then I will be reminding you all about this post lol.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
I not only will admit it, but will also say that we will only know next season who got the better deal us or West Brom ;)  Sherwood has been a good short term appointment, but there are still question marks over him long term.

Why, on the basis that he hasn't had a full season in management? That's a bit unfair to make assumptions before he has managed long term. 

It seems that all current managers must be given time to develop a squad, 3 years is the normal amount of time banded around.  Somehow, Sherwood is not to be given this time as there are question marks over him.  Could you tell us what some of these question marks are that make him a more risky option than Pullis?   

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »
But at least I never wanted us to take Solskjær a few years ago though - does anyone want to own up to that? there were plenty at the time, I seem to remember, who thought we should take a punt on him   

Guilty as charged.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »
But at least I never wanted us to take Solskjær a few years ago though - does anyone want to own up to that? there were plenty at the time, I seem to remember, who thought we should take a punt on him   

Guilty as charged.

I also thought it was an exciting option at the time

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
I didn't want Pullis.  But I really didn't want Sherwood.

Can't believe how wrong I've been about him to be honest. 

Sorry Tim.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
I wanted OGS. After the predictable boredom of McLeish I liked the idea of something totally different. Quite why he was mental enough to take the Cardiff job is beyond me, he's put a right bollock on his career.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »

Guilty as charged.

yep, but again in the context of where we were coming from anyone who encouraged players to "foooking shoot" and pointed towards the goal we were attacking was always going to cause a stir in the pants. Loads of us thought he'd be a breath of fresh air.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
Wanted Lambert out last summer.

Would have taken Pullis any time post QPR debacle up until he was hired by Albion.

Didn't want Sherwood. Glad to have been proved mightily wrong thus far.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »

Guilty as charged.

I also thought it was an exciting option at the time

Me too. At the same time I think we all knew there was an element of risk didn't we?  Lambert, by comparison, was seen as the 'safe' option.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal