collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2015 - Transfer Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions  (Read 1026839 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Summer 2015 - Transfer Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions
« Reply #7785 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:55 PM »
Lambert tried to be their mates as he tried to sell them. That is, he told them he had to sell them, wasn't going to work very hard to make it happen, and if they didn't want to go not to worry as he'd make sure they enjoyed a comfortable gig, "training" and picking up their pay. I imagine by comparison Sherwood has been far more ruthless and told them the truth; worked hard with his team and the agents to move them on.

I'd like that to be true - because Lambert is a c*** - but that strikes me as just wishful thinking.

I've a very low opinion of Lambert, but I find it incredibly hard to believe he'd have been like that.

i suspect the change is at least as much to do with having a new CEO as it is a new manager.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7786 on: August 27, 2015, 11:40:23 PM »
I wonder if it's more likely to be the case that we have a contracts man now who is giving them the hook, rather than Lambert doing everything.

Offline footyskillz

Re: Summer 2015 - Transfer Rumours, Speculation & Suggestionsy
« Reply #7787 on: August 27, 2015, 11:43:03 PM »
I also enjoy it if Chelsea don't get stones I dislike very much these clubs who come in and try and take players I like a more competitive premier league. Southampton are a great eg of keep it going despite sales. Well last season anyway. That said I'd like villa to make  moves on fonte ,  vardy schemeicel as villa bigger than these Leicester and soton even a Bid for begavic if we don't get schemeicle

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7788 on: August 27, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
I wonder if it's more likely to be the case that we have a contracts man now who is giving them the hook, rather than Lambert doing everything.

That, basically.

If it really was left to Lambert to do stuff like that, then that's awful organisation. Of exactly the sort we've seen for several years until recently. I find it really hard to believe it's all Lambert's fault.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7789 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
I also enjoy it if Chelsea don't get stones I dislike very much these clubs who come in and try and take players I like a more competitive premier league. Southampton are a great eg of keep it going despite sales. Well last season anyway. That said I'd like villa to make  moves on fonte ,  vardy schemeicel as villa bigger than these Leicester and soton even a Bid for begavic if we don't get schemeicle

You reckon Chelsea are going to sell us Begovic a few weeks after buying him?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7790 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:38 PM »
Lambert tried to be their mates as he tried to sell them. That is, he told them he had to sell them, wasn't going to work very hard to make it happen, and if they didn't want to go not to worry as he'd make sure they enjoyed a comfortable gig, "training" and picking up their pay. I imagine by comparison Sherwood has been far more ruthless and told them the truth; worked hard with his team and the agents to move them on.

I'd like that to be true - because Lambert is a c*** - but that strikes me as just wishful thinking.

I've a very low opinion of Lambert, but I find it incredibly hard to believe he'd have been like that.

i suspect the change is at least as much to do with having a new CEO as it is a new manager.

I'll grant you that I might have been somewhat liberal with the truth but the fact that so many players during that period spoke highly of Lambert didn't sit well with me. Like how Hutton retained a really good relationship with the manager, or Bent or Given. I accept it started with Randy and Faulkner but the manager has to be part of the process and it never struck me that he was. Or at least he didn't put the required effort into moving those players on.

Ps - it does help we have more help at the club. That it was so thin at executive level and the coaching staff was just ludicrous for a PL club.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:46:21 PM by Toronto Villa »

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7791 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:36 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with the players respecting the manager. I think the problem previously was whichever fucking idiot decided on that "bomb squad" policy.

If it was Lambert, then it's his fault. If it wasn't him, then he's spineless for not pointing out the sheer stupidity of it.

Offline KRS

« Reply #7792 on: August 27, 2015, 11:59:32 PM »
I'd imagine the process has been something along the lines of:

a) player and agent get called into office for meeting with TS, legal team and contracts manager present
b) player and agent are told in no uncertain terms that the players services are no longer required for X, Y and Z reasons

The clubs position is made clear, the player is placed on the transfer list, and both the player and agent knowing they need to find a new club if the player wants to actually have a career in which he plays football. This wouldn't have happened under Lambert.

Offline peter w

« Reply #7793 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:14 AM »
Mellberg did ok if you don't mind square pegs in round holes.  The point is that the role of full back requires a player to be athletic and pacy, with the ability to overlap and cross the ball and contribute offensively.  It's why Amavi will be a success at Villa, it's why Cuellar and Mellberg looked limited in the role, it's why Cissokho looked bloody awful last season and it's why Okore should not be considered for the role this season.

You don't necessarily need both fullbacks to do that though, unless your system is dependent on them to provide width and create goalscoring opportunities. Amavi can be the more forward-thinking of the fullbacks and I think our attacking options are OK: so I don't mind having a RB that stays at home, providing that they do their job properly and comfortable in possession. Hutton's alright, but he's a bit slow for me and I don't trust him with ball at feet. Bacuna, well, there will be some occasions which suit him more than others, but his performance against Palace was almost as bad as Gabby's.

With Adama marauding down the right and not appearing to be someone who's looking for an overlapping fullback as support, there's no need for Villa's right back to be attack minded.

I'm not saying that McCafu is great, but he should be able to do a job as a stay-at-home defender.

It's not that you need an overlapping full-back but one who can support Adama. If Adama gets crowded out you want the right-back to either be able to put the cross in or take a player on himself. obviously the defensive side is arguably more important but I think we'd be better suited as a genuine attacking threat to have a right-back who can do the overlapping job if and when needed but can fully support Adama when we attack.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7794 on: August 28, 2015, 12:49:53 AM »

That, basically.

If it really was left to Lambert to do stuff like that, then that's awful organisation. Of exactly the sort we've seen for several years until recently. I find it really hard to believe it's all Lambert's fault.

Wouldn't the fact that the players were not on crazy wages in the first place also be a factor?  The players lambert tried to get rid of were largely on ridiculous contracts - Bent/Hutton/Given - and therefore there's little incentive for them to leave as no club would match their deal.  The fact that Nzogbia is still here even supports this theory.

Ironically Sherwood may have benefitted from Lambert's shrewdness.  Hmmm maybe that's stretching it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:54:38 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #7795 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:40 AM »
I honestly am coming to believe Lambert had a "If I ignore it, it will go away" attitude to problems combined with a "I am the gaffer, leave the football side to me" sense of not needing any help.

So the bomb squad and not selling players just fell out of that philosophy.

All Sherwood really had to do is to break one of those flaws and selling players becomes easier. My hunch is he solved both. He seems very direct with players, he has said he has told people who are surplus but more importantly he knows he can't do it all and so has offloaded the issue of actually finding homes for these new players to the professionals within the club, either Fox or whoever.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7796 on: August 28, 2015, 07:16:22 AM »

I suspect it's more that most of them are now nearing the end of their contract. They and their agents have milked the Villla and can accept the likelihood of moving on.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7797 on: August 28, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »
I go with ciggies theory of how it all came about. The malaise of laissez faire grew empirically like mildew on damp wallpaper. I think it seeped down from the top. The absentee owner allowed a culture of policy on the hoof to establish itself. As Damon put it "Mr Lerner is on the golf course but if you call back in three hours he will be in the clubhouse and will take your call". With the cat away the mice could play.  All organisations with absentee or flaccid leadership lapse into tittle tattle and petty vendettas. The present Labour Party is a classic example and I speak as a card carrying member of the party. The Church of England is another.
The first person to take a muck rake to the Aegean stables was Tom Fox who probably does not even bother to phone the golf course. He, with his man Sherwood is simply getting on with running the club competently.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #7798 on: August 28, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »

I read this post earlier on my mobile and the screen size didn't allow me to view the posters name. Half way through I knew it was footyskillz.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #7799 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:01 AM »

The first person to take a muck rake to the Aegean stables was Tom Fox who probably does not even bother to phone the golf course. He, with his man Sherwood is simply getting on with running the club competently.

Both should be applauded for the sensible, systematic approach to getting the club back on its feet. It may take a few months but I'm sure we will see a big difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal