collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Guzan v Given  (Read 35648 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Guzan v Given
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
I realise that this may come across as a knee-jerk reaction to today's howler by Guzan, but I've actually felt that Brad has been below par for a long time now, and with Given performing well in the Cup, there's clearly a decision to be made.  There are rumours that Sherwood is considering Shay for a first team recall, and personally I think it's long overdue.  Given should never have been offered the ridiculous contract he was of course, but as with other members of the bomb squad who were ostracised for simply being on a lot of money, I think he deserves a chance to prove his worth again.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Guzan v Given
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:02 PM »
Added a poll for you.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
All valid points Risso but I'd stick with Guzan.  For me he is in that group of keepers just below the Courtois/Gea.  Given would make mistakes too and I'm not sure it is worth risking losing Guzan when Given could retire at any point.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Given.

I think Brad been way below his par this season. Shaky on crosses, slow to get across for a few. No one should be undropable and if someone's costing you points the next in line should come in.

I like Brad a lot but he's not had a good season.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »
You play players on form and drop players if their form drops off too much. Keepers are no different. Given has looked cool as a cucumber in the cup games and played very well. He kept us in a couple of the games.
Guzan has been erratic since the turn of the year really. I think the first mistake was appalling and he was at fault for the other two goals, whilst his kicking was horrible all game.

For me Given should come in because he's looked more composed in his (albeit few) games. He's also got bags of experience on Guzan too and is a big character in the dressing room.

Guzan wasn't given a fair crack when he deserved to keep his place when he briefly came in for Given in Eck's season. Given got back from injury and came straight into the side.

I would drop Guzan, as much as anything to ensure he knows his place isn't cemented. He needs a bit of reflection time I think. If he's not playing well and Given is playing well in the cups, then there's only really one call Sherwood can make.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
I think Given has been a bit fortunate with the sides we have faced in the cups have not gone for his weakness. West Ham home or even Everton are not games that I would drop Guzan for Given. Southampton or Burnley maybe but Guzan is still the better keeper and although not as good as he deserves some faith. I can see why he could be dropped but think it would be harsh. Compared to Richardson and Bacuna at full back costing goals Guzan is a saint.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »
Cheers Ped.

I can think of more games lately where Guzan has looked shaky than games where's he's made a difference by stopping something difficult, which is what he used to be good at.  It used to be that I thought that Guzan was unlucky to be playing behind a succession of poor defences, but now I think he's one of the weaker players in the team, and one of the few not to have raised his game under Sherwood.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
Think we've see Given in goal next week, the mistake was inexcusable.

Would be ironic as Everton at home was the last league game Shay played for us.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
You play players on form and drop players if their form drops off too much. Keepers are no different. Given has looked cool as a cucumber in the cup games and played very well. He kept us in a couple of the games.
Guzan has been erratic since the turn of the year really. I think the first mistake was appalling and he was at fault for the other two goals, whilst his kicking was horrible all game.

For me Given should come in because he's looked more composed in his (albeit few) games. He's also got bags of experience on Guzan too and is a big character in the dressing room.

Guzan wasn't given a fair crack when he deserved to keep his place when he briefly came in for Given in Eck's season. Given got back from injury and came straight into the side.

I would drop Guzan, as much as anything to ensure he knows his place isn't cemented. He needs a bit of reflection time I think. If he's not playing well and Given is playing well in the cups, then there's only really one call Sherwood can make.

Good post. I agree. It doesn't mean Guzan should be bomb squaded or anything, but as you say, you drop players based on form. Its pretty black & white.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
Given for me

Brad has been poor for the past 3/4 months

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:38:25 PM »
Every week in the prem would be to much for Given, he was dropped because he became a liability at times, and that was two season ago
Anyone thinking he would come in at the age of 39 and be a better keeper than Brad next season is of there rockers, absolutely nuts

If you think Brad is not good enough then we need another goalkeeper, because Given is not the long term answer

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:39:50 PM »
Every week in the prem would be to much for Given, he was dropped because he became a liability at times, and that was two season ago
Anyone thinking he would come in at the age of 39 and be a better keeper than Brad next season is of there rockers, absolutely nuts

If you think Brad is not good enough then we need another goalkeeper, because Given is not the long term answer

I think the question is, would he be the better keeper against Everton rather than next season. A wee rest wouldn't hurt Brad.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
I'm assuming it's about who should start next week/rest of the season rather than next season.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
If Given was brought in against Everton and played well and kept his place for the season, should Brad play the final as we play our reserve keeper in the cups?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
I'm assuming it's about who should start next week/rest of the season rather than next season.

Fair enough,
I do think Sherwood has a decision to make, especially on how his blunder had affected him mentally
I still think Guzan is the better keeper but if his confidence is low it wouldn't be the worst thing giving him a rest

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal