collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: European Football  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
European Football
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
We've as good as qualified now.

Good, or bad? Are you glad or sad?

I liked European nights at Villa Park but the attendances in the UEFA these days are rubbish.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: European Football
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »

I liked European nights at Villa Park but the attendances in the UEFA these days are rubbish.

We have to win the FA Cup.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:18:40 PM »
As PWS said we need to lift the cup. Rules changed last year.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 11:27:59 PM »

We have to win the FA Cup.

Just as well then as we will anyway.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:31 PM »
In before the lock.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »
Oh well, obviously didn't pay any attention before, it hasn't really been in my thoughts as a possible for years!

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:37 AM »
IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
Didn't even think about that ;D  Its a tough call I can remember when we got back in Europe under MON and we were in that group with the likes of Hamberg and Ajex.  That did feel like the special European nights were back at VP.  But then times were different at the club also at that point the Europa league (was it still called UEFA cup at the point can't remember?) had not become the total farce that it is today.

As great as yesterday was and with maybe even better to come in six weeks ;) The fact remains that our tough work will come in the league.  First making sure we get the win needed to make sure that we are there next season, but then having a more consistent season and not ending up back in a scrap next season.  Although it might give us a few nice trips I do think with our squad size than it would be too much of a distraction.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:53:21 AM »
For me testing yourself in Europe is the ultimate test as you come up against different philosophies and tactics. Yes the Europa League appears to be unwieldy but for a club of our size our record is not good. 1 European Cup and Qtr Final and 2 UEFA Cup qtr finals does not make good reading and we need to do better.

I'm also going to be possibly one of the first to say I like the Europa League. It's only 1 more round of knockout games than the Chumps League so hardly this monstrosity of a competition people make out. Yes they could improve it, removing chumps league failures would be the best move.

If we win it, strengthen the squad in the summer, and make this our priority after the League.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
I'm also going to be possibly one of the first to say I like the Europa League. It's only 1 more round of knockout games than the Chumps League so hardly this monstrosity of a competition people make out. Yes they could improve it, removing chumps league failures would be the best move.
I'll be the second then.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
For me testing yourself in Europe is the ultimate test as you come up against different philosophies and tactics. Yes the Europa League appears to be unwieldy but for a club of our size our record is not good. 1 European Cup and Qtr Final and 2 UEFA Cup qtr finals does not make good reading and we need to do better.

If we win it, strengthen the squad in the summer, and make this our priority after the League.

But then you have all the qaulifers on top of the group games, and that depending on how many you have to play we could start our season in July.  Plus often you don't get to play the cream of the crop of Europe anyway.  I just think we need to keep our feet on the ground, and improve in the league and then maybe think about such things as Europe.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »
We've never won the UEFA Cup/Europa League, so it would be nice to complete the set (excepting the CWC, which we can't win now anyway).

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »

But then you have all the qaulifers on top of the group games, and that depending on how many you have to play we could start our season in July.
No, we couldn't because we're not going to finish sixth or seventh. It's not just randomly decided who plays qualifiers and who doesn't.

If we win the FA Cup then we go straight into the group stages.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »

But then you have all the qaulifers on top of the group games, and that depending on how many you have to play we could start our season in July.  Plus often you don't get to play the cream of the crop of Europe anyway.  I just think we need to keep our feet on the ground, and improve in the league and then maybe think about such things as Europe.

If we win the FA Cup then it's one round of qualifiers in August.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal