collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ellis!  (Read 12324 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Re: Ellis!
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
I met Doug a couple of years ago at a charity function. I was only there because the person who should have been representing our organisation was ill and I went as a last minute substitute.
I didn't know Doug would be there but as I walked past him he spotted my Villan lapel badge smiled and said "Ah, you're a fellow Villan young man" he then spent about twenty minutes speaking to me about games from the 80's and 90's that I at the spritely age of 66 could barely remember. He was sharp as a pin.
Oh and he has a sense of humour. As we shook hands at the end of our conversation he said don't believe everything you hear about me........I didn't invent the bicycle kick.
There were loads of questions I'd have loved to ask him but I didn't want to appear churlish and it wasn't the time or place.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »
One thing's for sure, he'd love this thread.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
Like any chairman, Dougy did some good, he did some bad, but he knew what he was doing. He never quite had the guts to really push us that bit further at times when we had potential to win titles but his love of the club couldn't really be questioned. This wasn't some play thing he got bored of like our current chairman. He left us financially stable, sold us on to someone with bold ideas (though sadly no plan B). He was fairly consistent with his transfer funding. The odd splurge, then he closed the purse a bit. Randy on the hand shat out a lot of money hand over fist and we've been on a shoestring since, and have risked our Top flight status in doing so.

I enjoy seeing Doug when he's at the ground. It wasn't always great under him. He was a pain in the backside at times but we won trophies under him and came close to winning the league a couple of times. There will always be a feeling of "what if?" but by the same token, at least we got close sometimes.

Sorry Tom his "love of the club"  can and often has been questioned, and rightly so. There are those of us who believe his only regard for the club was the use it was to him in boosting his own ego and profile.  There were worse chairmen around for suer, but he did just enough to maintain the spotlight on himself.  No-one who really loved the club would give himself the label "Mr Aston Villa" or name a stand after himself.
Oh he made a good living out the club and did put his ego first many times. But had he not had a genuine love of the club behind all that, I don't think he'd be coming to games with the regularity he has since departing. If I didn't love the Villa I'd probably have given up watching in the last 4 years.

By the way, if I ever inherit a billion dollars, I apologise in advance for the "Supertom stand."

His continued regular attendance keeps him the spotlight - might have something to do with it.

And if you used some of your billion to inject funds into the club instead of paying yourself a handsome salary you'd be quite entitled to name a stand after yourself, and I doubt many would complain.

As for Ron Manager, I can only chuckle that people sill fall for that birthday surprise nonsense.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
I was as anti-Ellis as anybody at the time, but it all just seems slightly pointless to be having a go at him now.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
"His continued regular attendance keeps him in the spotlight" ?

Big deal.

Offline Herman

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
I'd love to ask him what his username is when he posts on here

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »

Big deal.

Keeps him alive, I'd say.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »

Big deal.

If there's any season that could finish him off it'd be this one.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »
I'd love to ask him what his username is when he posts on here

villakicks.

We were very close to signing Altidore and Spearing.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »

Big deal.

In all seriousness, I honestly believe that without Villa he wouldn't be alive now. For all his money and his fame (if that's the right word) he has nothing else in his life. 

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »

Big deal.

In all seriousness, I honestly believe that without Villa he wouldn't be alive now. For all his money and his fame (if that's the right word) he has nothing else in his life. 

I'm sure he's got family and friends, Dave. Has he?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »

Big deal.

He's got family and people who he would call friends but stories over the years  make me think that when he closes the door behind him at Dunsacking he's completely on his own.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »
Thanks for

1. helping to save the club in the sixties.
2. not selling to Ray Ranson.

Shame that your lack of conviction / fear of failure stalled the club so many times throughout the 80s and 90s.

As close to unforgivable anything in football can come for

1. the treatment of anyone and anything to do with the 80-82 squad.
2. the fact that we had to have the great unwashed show us how to show Tony Barton's widow compassion and respect.

Done is done, so enjoy your last years and if following the Villa as fan brings meaning and purpose to your life, congratulations, you finally have a semblance of understanding of what it feels like to be a fan.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »

Big deal.

Typical Doug.

Rest of us = Villa take years off our lives

Doug = doubles life span.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »

Big deal.

He's got family and people who he would call friends but stories over the years  make me think that when he closes the door behind him at Dunsacking he's completely on his own.

Him and the fragrant Heidi, obviously.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal