collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ellis!  (Read 12307 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: Ellis!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
Lets not forget Doug also invented cricket boxes, bubblegum and the female orgasm.

Online Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
His contribution to architecture will be remembered long after he is:

Offline supertom

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
Like any chairman, Dougy did some good, he did some bad, but he knew what he was doing. He never quite had the guts to really push us that bit further at times when we had potential to win titles but his love of the club couldn't really be questioned. This wasn't some play thing he got bored of like our current chairman. He left us financially stable, sold us on to someone with bold ideas (though sadly no plan B). He was fairly consistent with his transfer funding. The odd splurge, then he closed the purse a bit. Randy on the hand shat out a lot of money hand over fist and we've been on a shoestring since, and have risked our Top flight status in doing so.

I enjoy seeing Doug when he's at the ground. It wasn't always great under him. He was a pain in the backside at times but we won trophies under him and came close to winning the league a couple of times. There will always be a feeling of "what if?" but by the same token, at least we got close sometimes.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
Leave the old sod alone.

I'm calling for a 'Justice for Doug Day'' where those who are like minded can celebrate all things invented by the old codger.

In all seriouness, the past is the past.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »
There is no doubt that Ellis loves the Villa,i even see him at the reserve games,but there is also no doubt he made a good living out of Villa and always put himself first

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
Like any chairman, Dougy did some good, he did some bad, but he knew what he was doing. He never quite had the guts to really push us that bit further at times when we had potential to win titles but his love of the club couldn't really be questioned. This wasn't some play thing he got bored of like our current chairman. He left us financially stable, sold us on to someone with bold ideas (though sadly no plan B). He was fairly consistent with his transfer funding. The odd splurge, then he closed the purse a bit. Randy on the hand shat out a lot of money hand over fist and we've been on a shoestring since, and have risked our Top flight status in doing so.

I enjoy seeing Doug when he's at the ground. It wasn't always great under him. He was a pain in the backside at times but we won trophies under him and came close to winning the league a couple of times. There will always be a feeling of "what if?" but by the same token, at least we got close sometimes.

Sorry Tom his "love of the club"  can and often has been questioned, and rightly so. There are those of us who believe his only regard for the club was the use it was to him in boosting his own ego and profile.  There were worse chairmen around for suer, but he did just enough to maintain the spotlight on himself.  No-one who really loved the club would give himself the label "Mr Aston Villa" or name a stand after himself.

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 12:52:31 PM »

Sorry Tom his "love of the club"  can and often has been questioned, and rightly so. There are those of us who believe his only regard for the club was the use it was to him in boosting his own ego and profile.  There were worse chairmen around for suer, but he did just enough to maintain the spotlight on himself.  No-one who really loved the club would give himself the label "Mr Aston Villa" or name a stand after himself.
Oh he made a good living out the club and did put his ego first many times. But had he not had a genuine love of the club behind all that, I don't think he'd be coming to games with the regularity he has since departing. If I didn't love the Villa I'd probably have given up watching in the last 4 years.

By the way, if I ever inherit a billion dollars, I apologise in advance for the "Supertom stand."

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
A lot of us wanted him gone, he's gone. He obviously lives the club, he still goes to watch them and this was done to death years ago, don't understand why it's been brought up again?

Can we get back to the important stuff like what music should Villa use to run out to, do you think Bendall is responsible for most of the problems at Villa and is Prince Wiliam a Villa fan?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »

Can we get back to the important stuff like what music should Villa use to run out to?

Fine, but if anyone says Kasabian I reserve the right to return to the less depressing topic of Doug Ellis.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »

1. He didn't.
2  He didn't

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »

1. He didn't.
2  He didn't

Yes, of course. It was a 'surprise' from his birthday party committee.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
And he of course bent over backwards to stop it...

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »

Can we get back to the important stuff like what music should Villa use to run out to?

Fine, but if anyone says Kasabian I reserve the right to return to the less depressing topic of Doug Ellis.

Looking through the old thread it's almost inevitable somebody would welcome such a hideous thing, in which case fill your boots.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 01:24:18 PM »
He saved the club and brought in Tommy Doc and that's when I started supporting the Villa. Also to play Santos and see Pele at Villa Park was a special night in the dark times of 3 day weeks and power cuts etc.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
He saved the club and brought in Tommy Doc and that's when I started supporting the Villa. Also to play Santos and see Pele at Villa Park was a special night in the dark times of 3 day weeks and power cuts etc.

"He" didn't save anything. He was part of a consortium, the rest of whose names are scandalously forgotten when great Villa men's names are mentioned. .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal