collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is Sherwood right?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Is Sherwood right?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »
No fair point about the defence specifically. What I meant was defending as a team as opposed to specifically the defenders. We seem to have huge holes that the opponents attack into when we press forward. We have to be more disciplined everywhere on the pitch, and get the ball back faster if we lose it.
In principal, playing Sanchez should help out, but he's not quite cutting it. I think Sherwood would probably fancy having another player with Delph's physical attributes to pair with Delph.
I think that Cleverly has improved massively, actually; he's discovered some energy and is making some good runs.
He has. Whether we can get away with a two man mid with just him and Delph remains to be seen. But we're still one decent player short in the middle. I think a 3 man will be required in most games.
I don't disagree.
I wonder whether 3-5-2 might not be a better set-up for us at the moment.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
Well I was on the fence about the Sherwood appointment and I remain so.  I can see how he is a good short term abiliity because of his energy and postitive tactics, but it is over a longer period where we will see if he can improve us.  To say that he has been an improvement on Lambert is not saying much, but that maybe all we need to stay up for now, but if we are back in this position again under Sherwood next year than that would be proof that he is not the right man for the job.

Offline myf

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
Think he's done well on the whole so far but not happy with Richardson playing again today after a diabolical performance on Tues

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »
Personally, I like everything the guy has done, doing and said.

Its sums up football at this present time that we judge a man already after only 5 minutes in charge. He's working under the same circumstances as Lambert, with the same players that have been fighting relegation for many a season now.

He isn't Jesus.

I heard many pundit say we should of gone for Pullis before he joined WBA. I'm sorry but so far Pullis isn't the messiah all journalists would have us believe.

I like Tim and I will pass my final judgement on him as Aston Villa manager in 3 seasons time, no matter what happens.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
A 1-0 win. Perhaps we can do it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »
Yeah, so cut him some slack.

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
And we didn't get that 1-0 by parking the bus either. We still managed to be a threat on the attack. Could have won 3-0 today. At least we've seen that our backline is capable of producing a solid clean sheet too. Spurs barely had a chance of note.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:56 PM »
In answer to the original question yes he was right, we were a club not equipped for a relegation battle.He also said we would lose a few whilst he tried to put it right.I think he's learning quickly on the hoof and it's showing in the team.For resilience look to today'so game. For calmness and realism listen to today's post game interview.The right bloke right now and a load more improvement to come.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »
Well, we if we'd have McLeish'd our way through the last few fixtures, we might have gotten draws against Stoke, Newcastle or Swansea; but we'd probably have dropped the odd point against Sunderland, Spurs or Albion.

I'll take Sherwood's approach and go for it, every time.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
the difference between Lambert and Sherwood is that at 0-0 Sherwood had a plan to score goals, and we should have been at least 2-0 at HT. Lambert would have started with a plan to finish 0-0 and we would have ended up losing.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong, no way am I suggesting Lambert should have stayed or tat Sherwood isn't doing a decent job. My point was that he was perhaps doing our team an injustice by saying we couldn't scrap and battle our way to results. Until the Arsenal debacle we had one of the best defensive records in the division. I think we do have the players to battle and defend like we have seen today. I am genuinely hopeful that we can finally push on after a turgid few years.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 11:49:07 PM »
Love what Sherwood had done so far...just look at the difference in Benteke! Just wish he'd give Gil more of a chance.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 05:25:23 PM »
Sherwood seems to have identified that we needed to hit the forwards much earlier in the play to utilise our pace on the break, rather than passing it aimlessly all over the back/middle of the park and then to forwards who were static and marked with no space to move into, he has also galvanised Cleverley and Benteke, the goals for column alone vindicates him. he has also tapped into the passion of the supporters as well, the bloke gets us past the scousers next sunday and he can name his price i reckon.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »
What I liked yesterday is that we played in a number of different ways. We knocked it long at times. We played some lovely intricate football at times. And we fought hard to close down the opponents when we didn't have the ball. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Offline supertom

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
What I liked yesterday is that we played in a number of different ways. We knocked it long at times. We played some lovely intricate football at times. And we fought hard to close down the opponents when we didn't have the ball. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
I think Sherwood out-thought Pochettino yesterday. The gameplan was spot on and they had no answer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal