collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:08:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:05:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Richard
[Today at 02:03:24 PM]

[Today at 02:01:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by CT Villan
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:59:06 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:58:24 PM]

[Today at 01:56:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fantastic Mr Fox  (Read 11947 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Fantastic Mr Fox
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
Fox has been very consistent on this. At the Trust AGM he referred to us as having the best house on a terrible street whereas he wants a bungalow on the Kings Road.

That's a great line that Blues, Albion fans etc. would hate. I probably think the same way too as I'm not really bothered by local rivalries, it's glory hunters that drive me nuts.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Also, while I'm on, can someone tell me if the FA Cup Final thread is the pre-match thread? I'm superstitious about only reading them on matchdays you see.

Not really no. Posts are mainly the "tickets booked, hotel booked, wahoo!!" variety.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
Impressed he was able to trot out the stat on viewing figures in such a way it compered us to Barca and Real and bigger than all the German clubs. Very clever.

Why? Because he is clearly using this sort of data to position Aston Villa as a global player that attracts massive audiences.

It's what you need to do if want to bring in the bigger sponsorship/kit deals and play by the rules to get around the FFP limitations.

You never know, it may even mean cheaper tickets rather than richer player agents.

I missed this. Can somebody link to the story or relevant page on here? Ta.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/30/aston-villa-tom-fox-chief-executive-randy-lerner-fa-cup-final

Bless you.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2015, 02:10:22 PM »
Also, while I'm on, can someone tell me if the FA Cup Final thread is the pre-match thread? I'm superstitious about only reading them on matchdays you see.

Not really no. Posts are mainly the "tickets booked, hotel booked, wahoo!!" variety.

Thank you.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »
Tickets booked, flights booked, hotel booked, wahoo!

Offline peter w

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2015, 10:34:48 PM »
You got bloody tickets? Fuck off. Come on, someone, help me out. He doesn't even come from sodding Birmingham.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
Fox wasn't doorstepped or asked awkward question. it was the type of friendly article that gave Fox opportunity to say what he wants about topics of his choosing.

He could have been a whole lot more positive without making a rod for his own back. Instead he did a Houllier, but seems to have got away with it because the team is winning and playing well.

His analogy about housing was meaningless twaddle. Were are neither a house nor a bungalow. We are the Villa. Of Birmingham.

Offline peter w

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2015, 02:49:38 PM »
don't forget this is a business man seeing things objectively through business eyes. He's not a Villa fan and may not care too much about the emotions of the game. He is there to make an under performing business better. One of the criticisms of Ellis was the corner shop mentality and like it or not modern day football has become as much about the business side as the football side. Therefore, to get the business side done right you need a business minded person. That's what Fox comes across as to me. He's the type that would resonate better to shareholders after dividends rather than football fans but that doesn't mean he's not the right person for the job. He seems to get what needs to be done and just because we don't like his terminology doesn't mean he won't be one of the most influential employees of the club for years to come.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:07 AM »
don't forget this is a business man seeing things objectively through business eyes. He's not a Villa fan and may not care too much about the emotions of the game. He is there to make an under performing business better. One of the criticisms of Ellis was the corner shop mentality and like it or not modern day football has become as much about the business side as the football side. Therefore, to get the business side done right you need a business minded person. That's what Fox comes across as to me. He's the type that would resonate better to shareholders after dividends rather than football fans but that doesn't mean he's not the right person for the job. He seems to get what needs to be done and just because we don't like his terminology doesn't mean he won't be one of the most influential employees of the club for years to come.

Agree 100%.

Quietly impressed by what he's got done in a short space of time.

I know some people will point at the Lambert contract, but I'm convinced that was one of the jobs waiting on his desk from Lerner with a "just get this one sorted ASAP" note on it.  He probably spent the next 5 months wondering which drugs Lerner was on.

Everything else he's done has been with a medium to long term view of how to update and upgrade the way the club works behind the scenes to give it the best chance on the pitch, the obvious exception being Sherwood which was an acute now or never decision, which, for now, looks like it was a good one.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »

Agree 100%.

Quietly impressed by what he's got done in a short space of time.

I know some people will point at the Lambert contract, but I'm convinced that was one of the jobs waiting on his desk from Lerner with a "just get this one sorted ASAP" note on it.  He probably spent the next 5 months wondering which drugs Lerner was on.

Everything else he's done has been with a medium to long term view of how to update and upgrade the way the club works behind the scenes to give it the best chance on the pitch, the obvious exception being Sherwood which was an acute now or never decision, which, for now, looks like it was a good one.

I'm quite sure that contract had various 'clauses' it's funny how as soon as we dropped into the bottom 3, he was sacked immediately.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2015, 08:22:19 AM »
There also seemed to be a marketing plan in place as soon as Sherwood arrived. It was as though they were waiting for a new manager to come in so they could start selling the new product.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »
There also seemed to be a marketing plan in place as soon as Sherwood arrived. It was as though they were waiting for a new manager to come in so they could start selling the new product.
Acting quickly and at the right moment is worth plenty. We can see there has been a very swift transformation and at least we have someone who is decisive.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
Kipeye - agree largely. But the fact is, we could still go down. I happen to think we won't now, but we're not safe yet and if we do go down, there'll be plenty of people lining up to say he should have acted quicker getting rid of lambert.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:36 AM »
Kipeye - agree largely. But the fact is, we could still go down. I happen to think we won't now, but we're not safe yet and if we do go down, there'll be plenty of people lining up to say he should have acted quicker getting rid of lambert.

There isn't anyone who doesn't say he should have acted quicker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal