collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The positive impact of the pitch invasion?  (Read 9634 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: The impact of the pitch invasion?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »
One side effect. It will underline to some of the new players and Sherwood in particular what it feels like when you get Villa Park rocking. I doubt many of them have ever experienced a home atmosphere like that.

That has to be a boost for the manager and players surely?

I was thinking that myself whilst pondering on the game yesterday. We've had a few good atmospheres in the past couple of years but nothing like that level of intensity, after Delphs goal it just grew and grew. Maybe Sherwood is right and sometimes you need to be reminded of what a big club we are? Because that game reminded me of what Liverpool, Man United or Arsenal would have done to a local rival in similar circumstances.

He's the first person who has started to raise expectations again. For too long our expectations have been downplayed to the point we all almost began to accept our place in  the grand order of things. He said you bollocks to play for big club like Villa. He's right, and I have hated hearing how we would do our best to win, or we cannot compete with this team or that team, or the way we set up in games to avoid defeat. Hated every minute of it. Like we walked out on to the pitch draped in a white flag all waiting for the first of many goals to be picked out of Brad's net. I'm just enjoying a bit of bravado right now. We are a big club and we need to start acting it. And on Saturday, we started to show everyone what an amazing place Villa Park can be.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 07:14:02 PM »
Was the pitch in much of a state after the final fans were cleared off it? can't imagine a couple of thousand "mindless hooligans" will have done much for the grass?

Grows by the inch, ruined by the foot.

Offline myf

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
One side effect. It will underline to some of the new players and Sherwood in particular what it feels like when you get Villa Park rocking. I doubt many of them have ever experienced a home atmosphere like that.

That has to be a boost for the manager and players surely?

This. Sherwood said he wanted VP to be a fortress and it truly was on Saturday night

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
Said it in another thread that the test of Sherwood this season will be keeping our players focused in the league.  I still think that it could be a close run thing, but I think we should have enough to stay up.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
agree with Gregory,

with mr lambert we were a dead man walking, atleast most of us have a little hope now.

something from sunderland would help.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:18 PM »
If sherwood can keep the positive energy , vibe and organisation going we can get 6 points from the next 2.

My observation is we are still playing in 45 minute bursts.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
If sherwood can keep the positive energy , vibe and organisation going we can get 6 points from the next 2.

Yeah you could say we have done that in virtually every game since the change.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »

Yeah you could say we have done that in virtually every game since the change.

Good observation.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
We'll be fine with 4 points from Sunderland and Swansea.

Think that's very achievable aswell as we usually win at Sunderland and Gabby loves playing them.

Offline Pete

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »

I agree. But 45 minutes a game is better than 10 minutes a month. It's progress. Gives us a chance in games that we didn't have before, and hopefully the improvement will continue until the bursts are an hour plus.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
Yes absolutely, it's not a criticism just an observation.
To see the likes of Nzogbia, cleverly and Gabby all playing with flair and confidence is nigh on a miracle . For sherwood to have achieved this so quickly is commendable.
Long may it continue.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »
I would say we are beginning to see the green shoots of recovery.  On the way out of the Holte on Saturday I heard some fans singing "we've got our Villa back" and although I wasn't too sure about that particular sentiment, I could understand where they were coming from.  The two games last week gave me a feeling which I haven't got for some time from football - sheer excitement.  One of the other great things was walking out of Villa Park and seeing the joy on the faces of young Villa supporters.  I have been concerned over the past few years about the effect our plight has had on the younger generation of fans.  Awful performances and a lack of real heroes to look up to is not a good combination for younger fans, particularly at a time when they are force fed the so called "bigger clubs" by pretty much every media outlet.

But hopefully this is just the start.  A decent run-in in the league and avoiding relegation is a must.  Getting to the FA Cup final would be great and winning the thing would be a dream.  All three of those happening and a takeover in the summer  would be the ideal scenario and could really propel the club forward.       
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:59:30 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:03 AM »
Yes absolutely, it's not a criticism just an observation.
To see the likes of Nzogbia, cleverly and Gabby all playing with flair and confidence is nigh on a miracle . For sherwood to have achieved this so quickly is commendable.
Long may it continue.

It was overlooked a bit at the time but rewatching the match there were two moments when Charles Nzogbia was the fastest man during a play. I will let that sink in.

Admittedly one of them was him trying to recover from giving the ball away but goddamn he hauled ass from the penally area to the halfway line to make up for it. The other was when he beat his man with pace, with PACE. I was well impressed.

I never knew he had it in him.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:08 AM »
Without doubt there has been a massive turnaround and this is down to the change of Manager.
I am just uncomfortable with celebrating a new dawn until we have a few more points on the board.

Offline pav

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 06:54:38 AM »
I would say we are beginning to see the green shoots of recovery.  On the way out of the Holte on Saturday I heard some fans singing "we've got our Villa back" and although I wasn't too sure about that particular sentiment, I could understand where they were coming from.  The two games last week gave me a feeling which I haven't got for some time from football - sheer excitement.  One of the other great things was walking out of Villa Park and seeing the joy on the faces of young Villa supporters.  I have been concerned over the past few years about the effect our plight has had on the younger generation of fans.  Awful performances and a lack of real heroes to look up to is not a good combination for younger fans, particularly at a time when they are force fed the so called "bigger clubs" by pretty much every media outlet.

But hopefully this is just the start.  A decent run-in in the league and avoiding relegation is a must.  Getting to the FA Cup final would be great and winning the thing would be a dream.  All three of those happening and a takeover in the summer  would be the ideal scenario and could really propel the club forward.       
I know exactly what you mean,  my youngest is villa mad but he's not old enough to know anything but absolute dross and miserable faces.....Times are a changing.. I hope

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal