collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sunderland preview  (Read 4368 times)

Offline samlightle

Sunderland preview
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

I hope you're well and congratulations on beating West Brom to get to Wembley!

My name's Sam Lightle and I'm just getting in touch regarding a preview article I'm writing about Aston Villa for Sportsbyte ahead of their clash with Sunderland on Saturday.

Our site mainly focuses on Sunderland news so it's always good to get the views of opposing teams. I've listed the questions below if you wouldn't mind answering them for me.

1. Unbeaten in your last two games - are you confident of continuing that against Sunderland this weekend and why?

2. You haven't won on the road in your last six matches - do you feel Villa have turned a corner since Sherwood has taken over?

3. With Wembley coming up for you - do you feel the side might be side tracked by that ahead of this huge match against Sunderland and why?

It would be great to hear back from you.

Cheers,

Sam Lightle

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
Re: Sunderland preview
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »
1 No draw for we try not to win 3 on the spin
2 Difficult will only be able to tell with 3 games to go
3 No I don't think So we're way to close to the drop zone

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name's Sam Lightle and I'm just getting in touch regarding a preview article I'm writing about Aston Villa for Sportsbyte ahead of their clash with Sunderland on Saturday.

Our site mainly focuses on Sunderland news so it's always good to get the views of opposing teams. I've listed the questions below if you wouldn't mind answering them for me.

1. Unbeaten in your last two games - are you confident of continuing that against Sunderland this weekend and why?

2. You haven't won on the road in your last six matches - do you feel Villa have turned a corner since Sherwood has taken over?

3. With Wembley coming up for you - do you feel the side might be side tracked by that ahead of this huge match against Sunderland and why?

Cheers,

Sam Lightle

1.  We will go into the game on a high, but one of our main problems over the past few seasons has been failure to build on good results.  If we can build on the past week and continue with a positive approach then we can get a result.

2.  I guess it is to early tell just yet whether a corner has been turned.  What is promising though is that there seems to have been a noticeable improvement in performance in every game since Sherwood has been at the club.   

3.  The FA Cup has been a release this season from the quite frankly awful weekly grind of the league.  We have a run of really important games between now and the semi-final, so I'm sure everyone will be fully focused on those.

Hope that helps!

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

We do have a pretty good record against your lot, but I'm definitely not confident of the win. I'll say 1-1.

Hopefully so, players seem to be playing with a lot more confidence and we're actually scoring goals.

Maybe not so much this match, but when we're coming up to the Semi-Final I think we may take our minds off the league a bit, although our fixtures in April mean that we'll probably lose them all anyway.

Cheers,

Sam Lightle

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Sam Lightle

1) Yes. Sunderland are not great and our peckers are up.
2) Possibly. Saturday will tell us a lot in all honesty. There is life back in the club at least.
3) No - there are at most 12 matches left in the season. Don't buy that side tracked stuff. The players should be even more motivated - we were without 4-5 regulars on Saturday - Brad, Vlaar, Hutton, Benteke and Cissoko.

If we lose SF and finish 13th it's because we deserve to finish 13th. If we win the FA Cup and finish bottom it's because we deserve to finish bottom.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »

Hi Sam - nice to hear from a Black Cat - two of my best mates are Sunnerlan fans and my respect and liking for your lot goes back to a certain match at VP in the dark days of the 70's when we were promoted in front of 66k - your lads were tremendous that day - noisy but no aggro even though we invaded the pitch as usual ;-)

Never confident as it is years since we won three on the bounce. WE look like we can score now so I expect at least a draw

The style has certainly changed - we go for it now - the second goal on Saturday would never have happened 6 weeks ago

No I don't. They may be shocked by feeling so positive and may miss the groaning and booing but I think they realise they can actually play now!

All the best Black Cats

Witton Warrior

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
I was also in the 66k at Villa Park in the 70s. A great day even though I only saw the pitch twice (being only six)

Never confident...but less fearful of a humiliating drubbing (believe it or not, this is progress)

Change in belief, but too early to say we have turned a corner.  Caution and fear were the watch words lately at Villa Park. Now Sherwood has clearly said, "I don't mind if you cock it up, just give it a go". It was obvious that was what he said at halftime on Saturday against West Brom.

We need the feel good factor of the cup. I think it will help us.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 05:52:40 PM »
1. More hopeful than confident. Both teams are struggling but from our perspective, we hope the last couple of games will have given us some much needed confidence and momentum. We need to try and win the next 2 games (Sunderland away, Swansea home) because in April we have to go to Man Utd, Man City and Spurs.

2. We should have beaten Newcastle at their place. They created one chance all game and it was the first time in a good while where we created quite a few. It probably came a little too soon. If it had followed the Albion games, we may well have won that. Hopefully we'll win this one but I'm wary of Defoe.

3. Not a chance. There's a good while before the Semi-final and we're buoyed by what we hope is a turnaround in our fortunes.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »
I'm married to a mackem so this is basically a very local derby in my house (both kids are Villa though despite the efforts of the in-laws).

1. Tough one to call, 2 good confidence boosting wins at home is always nice but no idea if we can translate that to away form.  If we can I think we'll have too much up front for you and our defence has been good for most of the season so I think you'll struggle for chances.

2. It's too soon to tell but what Sherwood has done is start getting our midfield into games as an attacking threat with Delph prominent in both wins last week and now that we're getting the ball into our forwards quicker Gabby and Benteke are looking much more involved.  If we can keep that up and Clark and Okore stay fit and in form we've got more than enough in the squad to be safe.

3. I don't think so, the players seem to be genuinely enjoying playing right now so it's just keeping them focusing on each game as it comes which seems to be the whole attitude of the club right now.

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
1- This is undoubtedly a game that Villa need to target for a win. It's absolutely essential we win this because Sunderland are in a bit of a mess right now. From our point of view we've got to win this. Of course Sunderland will feel the same too. I fancy us to win it though. We're in a run of form, confidence is high and our attacking players have suddenly woken up.
2- It seems that way. I didn't think we were too bad against Newcastle before their goal. Sherwood has pretty quickly drilled into this side some attacking intent. We've given West Brom a couple of sound beatings. Particularly the first game we could have been 3-4 up at half time. Paul Lambert sent out his sides to take up space on the pitch and nothing more. No ambition. No competitiveness. Just a sigh. Sherwood certainly has a winning mentality that seems infectious. He won't stand for what Lambert (for far too long) deemed acceptable.
3- No I don't think so. For a start Sherwood has shown he's not afraid to chop and change. Players will want to make damn sure they earn a place in the Wembley game. Likewise survival is essential.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »

Hi Sam - nice to hear from a Black Cat - two of my best mates are Sunnerlan fans and my respect and liking for your lot goes back to a certain match at VP in the dark days of the 70's when we were promoted in front of 66k - your lads were tremendous that day - noisy but no aggro even though we invaded the pitch as usual ;-)

I was there; even got a piece of turf.
Pretty sure (without checking though) that the crowed was 58k.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »
1. I think we will play out a 1-1 draw
2. Too early to say
3. Really don't want to do a Wigan.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:23:23 PM »
Well we have a good record at Sunderland, in fact better than at VP against them I think.

This is one of our crucial games not just to pull ourselves further out of danger but also to try and drag Sunderland into it.  Think we should get the win, but Sunderland will be desparate for a performance too.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
Is hutton back ?

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »
Is hutton back ?

2 gane ban I think for 10  bookings

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal