collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Seven days too long  (Read 4483 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Seven days too long
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 05:26:54 PM »
You could look at Stoke's late equalizer against us that crushed the soul of a club heading towards CL qualification. Ironically the opposition manager being the same cap wearing twat as yesterday. That day, it could be argued set everything in motion for the disaster that was to become the next few years. It's a game of very fine lines. Let's hope our direction changed this week.

Offline steffo

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »
Because it's Aston Villa. Nothing is ordinary.

Offline peter w

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »
It certainly has been a great week when you consider how other results have gone for us as well.  We can go into the next two games with real confidence. 

It's not just beating them twice in a week but the results have gone for us twice in a week also as you say. How often does that happen?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
A week is a long time in football.

After Newcastle I predicted a turning point and 4 straight villa wins to follow. Halfway there, COYVB, VTID , FLL.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »
It's been brilliant these last few days, playing WBA has I hope given our season a massive lift and platform to build on.
Why, thank you very much you stripey neighbours, every little helps.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
On the Tuesday evening after the Hull game I was convinced we were going down and after being kicked time and again over the course of the past 4 years it looked an inevitable conclusion now in the bottom 3.

On the Wednesday evening when I discovered Lambert's reign had come to an end it was like a huge relief and suddenly some positivity from somewhere just breezed in. Took the family to Stoke and thought it was a false dawn. Newcastle ditto. My sons dragged me to the West Barcelona on Tuesday and frankly I was neither excited or had expectations. The first goal went in and their inevitable equaliser and from that moment we were playing much better and I had my hands clapsed praying for the winner.

Fate? Turning point? Once Benteke rolled in the penalty, I dont think I have celebrated at Villa Park like that for a very very long time. We just HAD to win and we did. Roll on Saturday and bar the mindless idiots who decided to run on the pitch DURING play we now have a semi final in the FA Cup and boosted league confidence. Im really pleased hearing Tim give them the hairdryer at half time and the rest is history.

From despair to elation in 7 days. Only Villa.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
Who would have thought that we would be the only team to score goals in this weekend's 3 QF ties?

We're Aston Villa we score when we want !

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
Need need consoling ... "There, there my dear"

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »
Was it really only this time last week that we were looking back at losing to Newcastle and getting relegated?
What a week! At Newcastle I thought we deserved at least a point and my Toon friends agreed, but Newcastle scored and we didn't and we were second from bottom. I suppose we were fortunate that both games this week were against local rivals and this certainly raised the temperature, but Tim Sherwood seems to have given the team purpose and belief and the fans have responded to this. For both games the Holte stood for the whole game, which is extremely rare, and I haven't felt the stand vibrate under my feet for a very long time. The demolition derby was probably the last occasion.
In just a few days Sherwood and his team have really lifted the fans. Let's hope that this isn't another of those false dawns and that we can carry this momentum into the next two, winnable games.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
Dave, where's your article? It will make good reading.

Offline myf

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Last Saturday I was sat in the Victoria down in the dumps. There were albion fans in there giving it the big one about stuffing us after they'd beaten saints. Delusional twats

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
Might as well set the thread to music.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
Might as well set the thread to music.

Burn it down

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
Sometimes it only takes one fortuitous moment to change the direction of a football club.  I'll always remember Kevin Brock's misplaced back-pass in 1984 that gifted Everton a League Cup equalizer and from then on their fortunes only went in one direction for a few silverware-laden seasons.  Perhaps in the seasons to come we'll look back at Ben Foster's last minute moment of madness as a similar turning point. 

Back in 1981 the same game was heading for a draw till Brenson Batson made an error.

Offline supertom

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
Sometimes it only takes one fortuitous moment to change the direction of a football club.  I'll always remember Kevin Brock's misplaced back-pass in 1984 that gifted Everton a League Cup equalizer and from then on their fortunes only went in one direction for a few silverware-laden seasons.  Perhaps in the seasons to come we'll look back at Ben Foster's last minute moment of madness as a similar turning point. 
I hope so sir.
We've got as good a chance of winning the FA Cup as we could have in years, perhaps decades. No team left should be feared. None of them are solid defensively, and we've had a squad this year full of dormant attacking talent that appears to have been woken.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal