collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What Newspaper for Truth  (Read 11896 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: What Newspaper for Truth
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 09:54:50 PM »
The Sunday Times report was very balanced today re: the brouhaha.

Offline Vic the Villian

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 09:57:15 PM »
thanks to everyone so I will try the Guardian, The "I" or Telegraph if that don't work I will give up and buy the dandy or the beano at least I can believe in those

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
The Guardian is for yogurt-knitting trots who have substantial property portfolios.

The Telegraph is for toffs that love to hunt and think the working classes need the guiding hand of paternalism.

I don't have any tired stereotypes for the i, although it seems like good value for money.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
'The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.'

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:13 PM »
I don't have any tired stereotypes for the i, although it seems like good value for money.

IPA drinking hipsters?*

Spoiler for Hiden:
I have no idea what the i is. So I decided to just throw out some random crap. Must be a new paper over there?

Offline john2710

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »
Only the Times or The Independant could be relied to print anything resembling the facts. All other tabloids have their own agenda. More often than not that agenda is to create or sensationalise a story.

The fact that The Sun seems to be able to dictate the political landscape of this country is frightening.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:50:52 PM by john2710 »

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
The Guardian is for yogurt-knitting trots who have substantial property portfolios.

The Telegraph is for toffs that love to hunt and think the working classes need the guiding hand of paternalism.

What has that got to do with their sports coverage? There's no fox hunting section in the Telegraph sports pages either oddly.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »
I like the i but you'll not get any in depth reporting, but definitely the best value for money. 

Each saturday the guardian (v good on a saturday, not just sport) will throw up an article on football which is from a completely different perspective.  A simple example being a Barney Ronay piece on how buying a player should be seen as failure, whereas Sky were celebrating how "the biggest transfer window yet".

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
having just read todays SUN newspaper enough is enough I have stuck with the sun for years not because of the bias news articles but because they have had a decent sports news, but today I'm livid Headlines such as CARNAGE !!! is unacceptable I was at the match and I never saw bodies lying all about, they were just trying to stir the crap, also the match report states marc albrighton caused the baggies first chance, my god who writes this without knowing albrighton left us last season. my question is can ANYONE recommend an accurate , truthful, and un-bias newspaper for me to subscribe to

Has this seriously only just dawned on you about the Sun? Know any Liverpool fans?

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »

What has that got to do with their sports coverage? There's no fox hunting section in the Telegraph sports pages either oddly.

Jesus. It was a joke for fox sake.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 11:04:46 PM »
Each saturday the guardian (v good on a saturday, not just sport) will throw up an article on football which is from a completely different perspective.  A simple example being a Barney Ronay piece on how buying a player should be seen as failure, whereas Sky were celebrating how "the biggest transfer window yet".
The Guardian (for all it's faults) is light years ahead of any other paper that I've read in the quality of its football coverage.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »
Only the Times or The Independant could be relied to print anything resembling the facts. All other tabloids have their own agenda. More often than not that agenda is to create or sensationalise a story.

The fact that The Sun seems to be able to dictate the political landscape of this country is frightening.

Don't forget though that the Times is also run by Murdoch. And the Independent is run by a Russian oligarch.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »
The Guardian (for all it's faults) is light years ahead of any other paper that I've read in the quality of its football coverage.

Well, this except I don't really see many faults in it.

But what is facts?  Isn't that just subjective.  No newspaper can report the total truth its just not possibley.  Besides which all media have an angle or a certain take on things.  And that is no bad thing.  I am prond that we live in a country where the press is given free reign.  There is a difference between reducing stories to crude sterotypes and only looking at something from one prospective and misreporting facts or not telling the truth.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 11:54:48 PM »
After some of the utter garbage and lies written and spoken in the media since last night I think I might invade the press box next home match, just to show them the difference between a good natured high-spirited invasion and an ugly one. I could even cause carnage by interrupting their wifi connection.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »
I've spent almost the entirety of this season avoiding the football pages.

Until this week, they could have been filled with cartoons or doodles for all I know.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal