collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What Newspaper for Truth  (Read 11895 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: What Newspaper for Truth
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
Nobody buys a newspaper in search of the truth do they?  They buy the one that reflects the views they already hold. 

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »
The BBC are just as guilty, Phil McNulty thinks we are now in the dark ages.
Difficult to argue with this though: "It was to be hoped the sight of seats being thrown on to the pitch, invasions of the playing surface, players running for the cover of the tunnel and police drawing batons on fans had been consigned to the past - sadly this was not the case here and did a disservice to a big FA Cup occasion and another big win for Villa and Sherwood."

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
Difficult to argue with this though: "It was to be hoped the sight of seats being thrown on to the pitch, invasions of the playing surface, players running for the cover of the tunnel and police drawing batons on fans had been consigned to the past - sadly this was not the case here and did a disservice to a big FA Cup occasion and another big win for Villa and Sherwood."

Hardly the dark ages though is it?

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »

Hardly the dark ages though is it?
The actual quote is "Sadly, this will be a game not simply remembered for a result but also for a brief return to English football's dark ages."

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  Like I said, however brief, it's hardly the dark ages.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  Like I said, however brief, it's hardly the dark ages.
Ah well, it's all about opinions isn't it.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »

I had hoped the lazy, never correct and past it journalists of BBC Football had been consigned to the past. Sadly this is not the case.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »
if that would have happened at Bradford yesterday it would have been labelled as the romance of the cup.

Offline peter w

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 06:12:21 PM »
To be honest its perfect for the media. A story other than villa winning. In reality nothing happened but in villa v albion part 1 there was benteke's penalty. Something was needed in Part 2 for the media to run with. You'll probably find most football fans of a certain age will think the same.

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »
Man U fans regularly celebrated their goals on the Villa Park pitch. Did the media not see that happen or did they choose to look the other way. I can't understand why anyone wants to go on the pitch myself. Nobs.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
The Telegraph definitely has the best sports coverage out of any of the newspapers. Absolutely no point buying a tabloid for sporting news, they're full of utter rubbish half the time. Even more so around silly season and transfer windows.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
Nobody buys a newspaper in search of the truth do they?  They buy the one that reflects the views they already hold. 

I am actually the opposite - I almost never buy a paper now ( I get my news online) but when I do I buy the Telegraph. I like to hear views I disagree with to make me think. I started buying it on a Monday when I lived in France 25 years ago as its football coverage was miles better than any other paper. Henry Winter is still one of the better scribes, though sadly covers us rarely these days.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
The only half decent tabloid would be the '1' but don't expect much about the Villa. By way of an example in Saturdays paper they had articles or news about 3 of the 4 quarter finals ( no prizes for guessing which one they didn't feature) including two that were not even played on that day!
They had Guzan in the predicted line ups. bless.
Still well worth 40 or 50p. I make a point of moving the small stack of 'I's' they carry at my local Tesco Metro and placing them on top of the huge pile of red top shite.
Small victories every day

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
i is the only one I bother with.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 09:52:52 PM »
if that would have happened at Bradford yesterday it would have been labelled as the romance of the cup.

If that many had invaded the Bradford pitch, they'd have sunk. It's like a potato patch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal