collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Media interest  (Read 7260 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Media interest
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
The title race is over, the usual suspects are top four. The only big story is the relegation battle and there's nothing interesting about the bottom three.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
Tim being media-friendly and accessible (and coherent) contributes greatly to the renewed media interest. As other's have stated, it could be the rags-to-riches story that journalists love too. All of which is vastly superior to the Lambert years where we were pretty much insignificant, it was as if the press had forgotten we existed. That is until they began to smell blood when the pressure on Lambert ramped up and he was subsequently sacked.

I suspect that once they have extracted all of the mileage that they can from the rise of TS/Villa, they will either ignore us again or start the dismantling job.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 04:43:48 PM »
Tim being media-friendly and accessible (and coherent) contributes greatly to the renewed media interest. As other's have stated, it could be the rags-to-riches story that journalists love too. All of which is vastly superior to the Lambert years where we were pretty much insignificant, it was as if the press had forgotten we existed. That is until they began to smell blood when the pressure on Lambert ramped up and he was subsequently sacked.

I suspect that once they have extracted all of the mileage that they can from the rise of TS/Villa, they will either ignore us again or start the dismantling job.

...or, if he does well with Villa, campaign for him to be Roy Hodgson's successor with England and then, once they've got him in the job,  dismantle him.

Offline avfcdale

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
He is from Hertfordshire isn't he? I think he puts on the Mockney accent a bit. He can talk like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins for all I care so long as he keeps us up.

He's from Boreham Wood in Hertfordshire. Spurs territory ( Ironic, given that Sherwood's an Arsenal fan). So he's only a "cockney" in the Greater Manchester sense

I used to work for a company that had an office in Borehamwood - they called it their "London Office" and most of the locals supported either Spurs or Arsenal, with the odd Watford fan.

His first club was Watford i know because i played against him twice in the FA cup when i was at Port Vale we held 1st division Watford to a 0-0 draw but lost the replay at watford, i belive he signed for them as an apprentice or yts as it was then and his first manager was Graham Taylor

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
He is from Hertfordshire isn't he? I think he puts on the Mockney accent a bit. He can talk like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins for all I care so long as he keeps us up.

He's from Boreham Wood in Hertfordshire. Spurs territory ( Ironic, given that Sherwood's an Arsenal fan). So he's only a "cockney" in the Greater Manchester sense

I used to work for a company that had an office in Borehamwood - they called it their "London Office" and most of the locals supported either Spurs or Arsenal, with the odd Watford fan.

His first club was Watford i know because i played against him twice in the FA cup when i was at Port Vale we held 1st division Watford to a 0-0 draw but lost the replay at watford, i belive he signed for them as an apprentice or yts as it was then and his first manager was Graham Taylor

How cool is this?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
He has got lovely teeth.  They are either crock or he is a secret Osmond love child.   You can tell a lot from teeth.   He was clearly well brought up and did as he was told by caring parents (very normal in Upper Norwood).   Probably has a healthy diet all in all pretty much all you could wish for in a manager.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »

How cool is this?

Some names in that side, tbh. I hope he's Bob Hazell. Fellaini, Willian, amateurs.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:47 PM »
He has got lovely teeth.  They are either crock or he is a secret Osmond love child.   You can tell a lot from teeth.   He was clearly well brought up and did as he was told by caring parents (very normal in Upper Norwood).   Probably has a healthy diet all in all pretty much all you could wish for in a manager.

...pays close attention to fine details, possibly bordering on the obsessive.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
I actually think this is one of the best aspects of appointing Sherwood as manager, even if it may have been a bit inadvertent. Having a man in charge who fosters so much good-will from the media not only is good for bringing a lift when we're playing well - it also stops public opinion and all of the media from getting on the back of the club when the chips are down.

For instance, look at how much stick we had over the goal drought over Christmas. It was such a joke that it spread beyond all the usual places - everyone knew about how long it had been since the Villa had last scored a goal. That constant, widespread criticism must surely have affected Lambert and by proxy the players! With the huge number of friends Sherwood has in the media, and the good-will he's been getting, I think a situation like that might not be as likely to happen with him as manager. As a result it might keep some pressure of the players and also change the mindset of fans going to games, which can only be a good thing. I think it's a happy, accidental side-effect of his appointment.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
It's not been easy loving the Villa these past years. To hear them denigrated by media and friends is like hearing your kids criticised. You and I know what makes Villa unique and special and I love it when even outsiders can recognise it too. If Sherwood plays his part in restoring our reputation then frankly, he can come from Mars. McLeish, Houllier and Lambert might have failed recently but they have always paid due respect to this great club. It isn't clear what Sherwood's destiny is but I'm hopeful he will also be similarly enchanted.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »
Think it is quite common for such a young manager with a bubbly personality to capture the media's attention.  It is very early of course, if things go horrible wrong for Sherwood and he retreats into his shell then you could see the media turning on him, or maybe having less interest.  Whats interesting is that Jose isn't half the character nowadays as he was during his early reign in England and as such the media seem a little harder on him, or don't quite rave about him in the same way.  So it is partly an older managers thing.  Although there are plenty of older managers with interesting personalities.

Offline LTA

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »

I'm always wary of media darlings after the MON love affair.

Offline brian green

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
I would settle for three sixth places on the trot but without the financial carnage of course.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 10:54:56 PM »
I would settle for three sixth places on the trot but without the financial carnage of course.

3 seasons like that and we would be getting pissed off at not being good enough to make the Champions League.

Offline brian green

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 10:58:38 PM »
True.   And moaning about paying Jack Grealish £100k a week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal