collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Media interest  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Mossie Hennebry

Re: Media interest
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
Cockney gaffer. Cockney bias media. Coinsodence?
Coinsodence deserves to be a real word. The action of finding buried coins while doing something completely unrelated, perhaps...?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:07 AM »
Coinsodence deserves to be a real word. The action of finding buried coins while doing something completely unrelated, perhaps...?

Or digging into your pocket and producing the exact coin you required.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
Has be refered to our great city as Birninham yet as most cockney sparrows do

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:44:10 AM »

genius!

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »

genius!
Yes! I will be using coinsodence to describe exactly that from now on...

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
There was a bit in the Fiver the other day about him which was quite good.

Had a great line about him running down the touchline when we scored, celebrating "like an ITV2 Mourinho". Excellent.

EDIT: this:

THE FIVER COOKS VILLA’S PREMIER LEAGUE GOOSE, BY WISHING TIM SHERWOOD ALL THE BEST
Everyone likes to see a big club get relegated, it’s the best part of football. What would be more satisfying than watching, say, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur all slipping down the divisions in the next couple of seasons? Nothing, that’s what! (Though we’d need at least Nottingham Forest and Nasty Leeds to finally come back up, so The Fiver still has some people to project its barely concealed feelings of inadequacy on to.) So most people, it’s fair to assume, will be fervently hoping to see relegation-haunted Aston Villa drop down to the second division. Nothing against the midlands giants per se, but you can’t have Big Cup on your CV if you want people to prefer you over Burnley, that’s just the way things work. They’ve made their bed, and now they’re thrashing about in it, crying. We have empathy.

Anyway, The Fiver had been firmly in this behemoth-baiting camp, waiting eagerly and impatiently for Villa to be reduced to second-tier status for the first time since 1987. And then something strange happened. Tim Sherwood became their manager. And there he is, being patronised to within an inch of his life by all and sundry for … well, what, exactly? Talking himself up in a few press conferences? Well, who doesn’t, and the man needed a job. Doing that cheesy oh-captain-my-captain routine with Emmanuel Adebayor during his time at Spurs? Hey, The Fiver’s a sucker for showy sentimentality, and what’s wrong with being nice and having a bit of fun. Celebrating goals by sprinting up and down the touchline like an ITV2 Mourinho? Well, what would folks rather he do, sit in the dugout with a grim look on his coupon, pompously scribbling in a notepad, pretending he’s above it all?

The poor man’s not even been allowed to wear a coat without getting it in the neck. So come on Tim. And you’ll have needed a heart of stone, or a season ticket at the Hawthorns or St Andrews, not to have been pleased for Sherwood on Tuesday night when West Brom keeper Ben Foster suffered a thundering nervous breakdown at Villa Park and gifted the hosts a precious injury-time victory. And a richly deserved one, given Villa were two goalline clearances and the width of a post away from taking a 4-0 half-time lead. The win ended a sequence of seven straight league defeats, and Sherwood ostentatiously checked his pulse at the final whistle. “When I left home my wife said she’d done the Euro lottery with a £54m jackpot but I said I’d take three points all the way,” he later simpered, hamming it up all the way. And good for him, for suddenly those points have catapulted Villa three clear of the drop zone, only one behind Sunderland, and a mere three behind Everton. [Fiver scribbles a couple of new names in notebook, then cuts and pastes opening paragraph with a view to renosing in three or four weeks’ time.]

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
He is from Hertfordshire isn't he? I think he puts on the Mockney accent a bit. He can talk like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins for all I care so long as he keeps us up.

He's from Boreham Wood in Hertfordshire. Spurs territory ( Ironic, given that Sherwood's an Arsenal fan). So he's only a "cockney" in the Greater Manchester sense

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
I like him. He's positive, which, as you can imagine, I like.

The fact we apepar to be Tim Sherwood's Aston Villa doesn't bother me.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
He is from Hertfordshire isn't he? I think he puts on the Mockney accent a bit. He can talk like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins for all I care so long as he keeps us up.

He's from Boreham Wood in Hertfordshire. Spurs territory ( Ironic, given that Sherwood's an Arsenal fan). So he's only a "cockney" in the Greater Manchester sense

I think he is an Arsenal fan. Herts is a mix of Spuds and Arse overspill

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

I used to work for a company that had an office in Borehamwood - they called it their "London Office" and most of the locals supported either Spurs or Arsenal, with the odd Watford fan.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
There was a bit in the Fiver the other day about him which was quite good.

Had a great line about him running down the touchline when we scored, celebrating "like an ITV2 Mourinho". Excellent.

EDIT: this:

THE FIVER COOKS VILLA’S PREMIER LEAGUE GOOSE, BY WISHING TIM SHERWOOD ALL THE BEST
Everyone likes to see a big club get relegated, it’s the best part of football. What would be more satisfying than watching, say, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur all slipping down the divisions in the next couple of seasons? Nothing, that’s what! (Though we’d need at least Nottingham Forest and Nasty Leeds to finally come back up, so The Fiver still has some people to project its barely concealed feelings of inadequacy on to.) So most people, it’s fair to assume, will be fervently hoping to see relegation-haunted Aston Villa drop down to the second division. Nothing against the midlands giants per se, but you can’t have Big Cup on your CV if you want people to prefer you over Burnley, that’s just the way things work. They’ve made their bed, and now they’re thrashing about in it, crying. We have empathy.

Anyway, The Fiver had been firmly in this behemoth-baiting camp, waiting eagerly and impatiently for Villa to be reduced to second-tier status for the first time since 1987. And then something strange happened. Tim Sherwood became their manager. And there he is, being patronised to within an inch of his life by all and sundry for … well, what, exactly? Talking himself up in a few press conferences? Well, who doesn’t, and the man needed a job. Doing that cheesy oh-captain-my-captain routine with Emmanuel Adebayor during his time at Spurs? Hey, The Fiver’s a sucker for showy sentimentality, and what’s wrong with being nice and having a bit of fun. Celebrating goals by sprinting up and down the touchline like an ITV2 Mourinho? Well, what would folks rather he do, sit in the dugout with a grim look on his coupon, pompously scribbling in a notepad, pretending he’s above it all?

The poor man’s not even been allowed to wear a coat without getting it in the neck. So come on Tim. And you’ll have needed a heart of stone, or a season ticket at the Hawthorns or St Andrews, not to have been pleased for Sherwood on Tuesday night when West Brom keeper Ben Foster suffered a thundering nervous breakdown at Villa Park and gifted the hosts a precious injury-time victory. And a richly deserved one, given Villa were two goalline clearances and the width of a post away from taking a 4-0 half-time lead. The win ended a sequence of seven straight league defeats, and Sherwood ostentatiously checked his pulse at the final whistle. “When I left home my wife said she’d done the Euro lottery with a £54m jackpot but I said I’d take three points all the way,” he later simpered, hamming it up all the way. And good for him, for suddenly those points have catapulted Villa three clear of the drop zone, only one behind Sunderland, and a mere three behind Everton. [Fiver scribbles a couple of new names in notebook, then cuts and pastes opening paragraph with a view to renosing in three or four weeks’ time.]

Enjoyed reading that.  "ITV2 Mourinho" is a very good description, I think Sherwood would probably like it himself.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
Thought he was from St. Albans

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »

No coincidence whatsoever.  It really does go to show how the media controls the narratives of football, the exposure of clubs and  - ultimately - brand value.  The whole business of football today is based on the whims of blokes in suits, sitting in (mainly) London offices.

Offline skerra52

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
As others have said, at least TS is not a mumbling idiot who really hadn't a clue as to how us supporters felt with his drab football and then, describing it as excellent. My TV is definately safer now as no objects being thrown at it!!!

I love anyone that really wears their heart on their sleeve and, although sometimes a little over the top, give me Tim's enthusiam any day. If he keeps us up I think, given the work he can do with the players over the summer, we really could become a totally different side next season especially with a a few new signings.

I wish him all the best.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
After two years of getting our nuts hammered by one media outlet after another, I like the fact that (for whatever reason) the media is taking an interest in our team. This will have a positive effect as long as we are doing well. It can turn sour pretty quickly too if the results don't go well because he's a magnet in terms of quotes and he doesn't hide anything good or bad. While it is good let's enjoy it while at the same time pray the good lasts a long time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal