collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing on  (Read 4428 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline adrenachrome

Re: Press-ing on
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:48:06 AM »
http://thebirminghampress.com/2015/03/the-sands-of-time/

I agree wholeheartedly with this:
Every season a team puts together a run that gets them out of trouble a lot easier than seemed possible and there’s no reason, looking at the players available, that this season it can’t be Villa’s turn.

But I disagree with this with equal weight.
There’s not enough quality in the side to worry the top half of the table overly but too many players are guilty of a lack of effort, and that’s the main reason why Villa are struggling.

It is not a lack of effort. It is a lack of organization and intelligence aka tactics. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:25:30 AM »
Too many players playing far below their capabilities and others who are not prepared to put themselves on the line for their club. If every player showed the committment of Clark we wouldn't be in this mess but i watched Delph who is supposed to be leading the side by example pull out of at least three challenges against Newcatle, where is the Delph of pre new contract who went on those probing runs and impressed enough to get an England cap? the midfield is a problem and i'm not pointing the finger at Cleverly who always seems to be trying, we need someone like a Clark who is prepared to put his body on the line and use a bit of muscle. I would give Gabby an ultimatum, start performing or your gone for the season same for Weimann.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:32:14 AM »
34 points will be enough this season to stay up

The next 5 days are yo paraphrase Mr Woodhall, critical. 2 losses and this bunch of players don't have the character to recover.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »
We need a win Tuesday night. Our problem is if Benteke doesn't score it is not likely anybody else will. Ok, Sinclair has got a couple but he showed his true colours at Newcastle where he was anonymous for most of the game. If this manager is not going to play Sanchez as the defensive midfielder I would be tempted to play him up front with Benteke and tell him to provide a physical presence. But I suspect Sherwood
will again pick the idle dross that is Gabriel Agbonlahor because there is a very small chance he may have a shot in the 90min.

We could get out of this mess quite easily with teamwork. Do the other players have the kind of will that Clark and Hutton have?  The answer is no.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
Gabby loves a derby so i would give him 2 last chances .

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
We need a win Tuesday night. Our problem is if Benteke doesn't score it is not likely anybody else will. Ok, Sinclair has got a couple but he showed his true colours at Newcastle where he was anonymous for most of the game. If this manager is not going to play Sanchez as the defensive midfielder I would be tempted to play him up front with Benteke and tell him to provide a physical presence. But I suspect Sherwood
will again pick the idle dross that is Gabriel Agbonlahor because there is a very small chance he may have a shot in the 90min.

We could get out of this mess quite easily with teamwork. Do the other players have the kind of will that Clark and Hutton have?  The answer is no.

I like that idea we need someone up front with Benteke who will pressure their defence.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

He will be playing derby , if we keep picking him

And not in the prem

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »

He will be playing derby , if we keep picking him

And not in the prem
Derby might get promoted

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »
It is not a lack of effort. It is a lack of organization and intelligence aka tactics.
Agreed, with the exception of Gabby. Benteke made more of an effort on Saturday. Weimann ran around a lot but simply isn't good enough. Delph's form has deserted him but you can't criticise him for lack of effort. I thought TS's team selection was poor against Newcastle. I can't understand why Gabby started or why Weimann and N'Zogbia came on. Lowton looked unfit, offered nothing going forward and isn't good enough anyway.
Despite all this, we were unlucky against Newcastle and deserved at least a draw. Perhaps, with better team selection and the odd lucky break, the tide will turn tomorrow.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »
Good article as always Dave, and accurately reflecting the thoughts of our debating group on the coach as we made our way back to VP on Saturday evening.
I'm hoping Sherwood is bold enough to leave Gabby out/use him for impact for the last half hour if needed.
He offers us so much more when he's wide; almost nothing when he plays up top where he has developed the tactic of becoming invisible.
UTV

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
Gabby deserves precisely zero more chances. He's been bad all season, but recently he's been so bad it almost looks deliberate. How he, Weimann and N'Zogbia got chances on Saturday ahead of Gil is beyond me.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »
Gabby deserves precisely zero more chances. He's been bad all season, but recently he's been so bad it almost looks deliberate. How he, Weimann and N'Zogbia got chances on Saturday ahead of Gil is beyond me.
I had the ridiculous idea that Sherwood may have been saving Gil for Tuesday. Hasn't he been nursing a niggly groin injury?
Weimann didn't get much game time on Saturday but he was truly awful in everything he did!

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
Mostly agree but the line about Newcastle fans needing to 'get over it' is fanciful thinking.  Football fans have very long memories, especially for perceived injustices.  You can bet your bottom dollar that if someone gloats over our demise (if it comes to that) we won't be forgetting it in a hurry.  Especially if it's Newcastle.  It all adds spice to things anyway.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »
Mostly agree but the line about Newcastle fans needing to 'get over it' is fanciful thinking.  Football fans have very long memories, especially for perceived injustices.  You can bet your bottom dollar that if someone gloats over our demise (if it comes to that) we won't be forgetting it in a hurry.  Especially if it's Newcastle.  It all adds spice to things anyway.

I think it's the misrepresentation. Most Villa fans had a chuckle and sung 'We'll meet again'. Oh and asked Shearer for a wave - which he duly obliged.

Hardly going around beating up Geordie women and child folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal