collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If We Could Only Beat The Baggies Once This Week...  (Read 12448 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: If We Could Only Beat The Baggies Once This Week...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
Relegation would massively taint a cup win imo.

No problem 17th and cup win.

Don't see us winning either game tbh.

We will win 1 draw 1. No idea which, but I think we will win Tuesday, as they will have the cup game in their mind.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
I'd definitely take the league win, I'm afraid.

It is just too important not to get relegated.

If the question were about "a season in the championship" then the answer might be different. It isn't, though, there's no guarantee we'd come straight back.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
I am a pessimistic optimist who worries. I am concerned about how we will cope with 46 Championship games and a run to the Europa League final.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
Why the league? So many people are saying it. There's no glory in a few quid.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »
When you add in the equation of new owners if we stay up it's a no brainer. Being relegated and knowing the board will give Sherwood time to get us out of there is a very frightening thought.

Online KRS

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
A win in either game would be more than welcome at this stage.

Would an appearance at Wembley be good for our players given the state of things in the league? I suppose it would depend on which way the result went of that game if there was any positive or negative impact on league form.

The flipside to losing the cup game is that we'd never hear the end of it in the history of Midlands football...it would be in the record books and would be pulled out by the gloating inbreds at every opportunity until they crawl back into their holes when the natural balance of football is restored. Do we really want to hand Baggies an appearance at Wembley in an FA Cup Semi Final?

We need to win both, but if we can avoid relegation regardless of the result on Tuesday, then the Cup game has more significance in the grand scheme of things and history of the clubs.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
Even if we beat them to claim three points, we have to sustain the momentum and win a few more games. Win both, fuck it!!

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
Even if we beat them to claim three points, we have to sustain the momentum and win a few more games. Win both, fuck it!!
That's the spirit!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
A win in either game would be more than welcome at this stage.

Would an appearance at Wembley be good for our players given the state of things in the league? I suppose it would depend on which way the result went of that game if there was any positive or negative impact on league form.

The flipside to losing the cup game is that we'd never hear the end of it in the history of Midlands football...it would be in the record books and would be pulled out by the gloating inbreds at every opportunity until they crawl back into their holes when the natural balance of football is restored. Do we really want to hand Baggies an appearance at Wembley in an FA Cup Semi Final?

We need to win both, but if we can avoid relegation regardless of the result on Tuesday, then the Cup game has more significance in the grand scheme of things and history of the clubs.

I'm not sure a cup defeat matters any more than a league defeat unless they go on to win the trophy. Especially in our current situation.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 03:50:09 PM »
I'd take the cup match if it came first, but I am worried that losing the league game would send morale so far through the floor that we'd have no chance of winning the cup game anyway (if it isn't there already). So if this is a grounded in reality question, I have to take the league game.

However, on the other hand, If it wasn't for the order we play the games in, I would take the cup every time. Partially because there's still 10 other games to pull the league round, partially because I don't think we'll pull it round in the league anyway, and partially because once I get over the initial shock, I don't really care whether we're in The Premier League or not, or whether we 'come straight back'. I will still be watching Aston Villa play someone else each week, I'm not that bothered whether the other team are Man United or Macclesfield, I'm there to watch my team - and I'd be watching us with a great memory of us winning the FA Cup.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
I'll take the FA Cup game if I had to choose.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
I'd take the cup match if it came first, but I am worried that losing the league game would send morale so far through the floor that we'd have no chance of winning the cup game anyway (if it isn't there already). So if this is a grounded in reality question, I have to take the league game.

However, on the other hand, If it wasn't for the order we play the games in, I would take the cup every time. Partially because there's still 10 other games to pull the league round, partially because I don't think we'll pull it round in the league anyway, and partially because once I get over the initial shock, I don't really care whether we're in The Premier League or not, or whether we 'come straight back'. I will still be watching Aston Villa play someone else each week, I'm not that bothered whether the other team are Man United or Macclesfield, I'm there to watch my team - and I'd be watching us with a great memory of us winning the FA Cup.

I like your spirit but you made a big jump there from winning a quarter final to winning the cup. My logic is based on really, really not wanting to go down and also thinking we won't win the cup even if we beat Albion.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »
If it's once than cup game definitely for me.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
We're definitely not going to win it if we don't win the quarter final!

This team have turned out some surprising performances against 'big' clubs over the past few years, even when all around it has been shite. (Although less so recently - but it's the same players, and they are showing the odd sign of 'playing' recently)

Our cup performances this season have also been far better than the surrounding shite. (Mostly against worse opposition, but at least we remembered where the goal was)

Teams who are relegation fodder have beaten better teams to win trophies before, which is why we end up having this conversation about winning the cup coming at the cost of relegation, because we think it was somehow that that sent teams like Blues and Wigan down. It wasn't - they went down because they were shite, they stayed down because they were shite, but they still won a cup.

I want to win a cup!

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 06:51:41 PM »
League. Getting to the semi or even the final will only end in disappointment when we're drawn against a proper team and all we'll have is the consolation of a doomed relegation battle to fall back on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal