collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Newcastle - the new Coventry?  (Read 6059 times)

Offline MONCABA

Re: Newcastle - the new Coventry?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
The worrying  thing is the way we've been playing, im wondering if we are becoming the new  Coventry!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
On the way to the turnstiles yesterday (and those mountains of steps), I got shoulder barged by one of their lot, who nearly sent me flying. It wasn't an accident because he didn't bother to stop and apologise.

As for the bother afterwards, whilst it was going on, we didn't see one policeman down there, it was all just stewards. There was also a barrier in between them and us, which seemed to make the situation worse really. I just wonder if they hadn't had separated both set's of fans and let everyone mingle, people maybe would have just shuffled off on their way.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »
We can say that they should get over us taking the piss when they went down, but really, we should just get over the fact that they hate us. They do, they have reason to, and I still don't regret giving them a hard time, because it just felt like the right thing at the time. Following their drop, they aren't actually as annoying now, so it's easy to forget why we gave them such a hard time, but we did, we liked it, they hated it.

If we were to mathematically relegated at Southampton this season, who I can't think have any possible grudge against us, and they hung out banners and mocked us all the way out of the ground (some of our fans were still doing it to Newcastle fans walking down the road outside The Bartons) then I probably would hold something of a grudge to put it mildly.

We haven't been relegated for a while, but it really is bad enough. If it happened against a close rival, you'd expect the piss to be taken, and you'd still expect to carry the hate for it too. We've oddly seen a few teams as they dropped, or just after in our last few fixtures over the last few years, and we haven't done that, at that level, to anyone else. We think anyone would have mocked their oddly incongruous self important desperation, but you can't expect them to see that. If I was a a Newcastle fan, I'd be a bit baffled, and hate us, probably forever. There's no mystery to it.

Offline levico

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
The way things are going I think we are more likely to be playing at the Ricoh than going back to St James Park (or whatever it is called this week)

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
I couldn't give a shit whether these small-time apes hate us or not. I don't want us to be liked by any football club. I'd just rather it was because we were good, rather than because we were doing what all football fans do - and should do - and that's take the piss out of the opposition, whoever they may be.

We struck Newcastle by deftly poking at their precious cultural myths, with which the UK media has gladly indulged them. Any team that sends us down will struggle to find any media-created myths about Birmingham, other than it's shit and full of concrete and we're all thick. "You're really up the Spaghetti Junction now!" "Who's your new Messiah, Ozzy or, erm, that bloke out of Crossroads." Etc. It won't have the same effect.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
Coventry have won a trophy in the colour TV era.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
If you give it out, make no mistake, you will have to take it back at some point. There are many who have waited a long time to celebrate our demise, some who are defined by that desire.
However, the season isn't over yet.

I don't blame Newcastle either. I think we would all remember a group of fans kicking us when we were down (literally). But clubs like Newcastle and ourselves have to realise other clubs fans will have more interest and probably more reason to take the piss if we go down rather than the likes of Wigan or Burnley. Bigger targets and all that.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
Coventry have won a trophy in the colour TV era.

That would mean nothing to Newcastle fans as they didn't have colour TV in the North East in 1987.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
I couldn't give a shit whether these small-time apes hate us or not. I don't want us to be liked by any football club. I'd just rather it was because we were good, rather than because we were doing what all football fans do - and should do - and that's take the piss out of the opposition, whoever they may be.

We struck Newcastle by deftly poking at their precious cultural myths, with which the UK media has gladly indulged them. Any team that sends us down will struggle to find any media-created myths about Birmingham, other than it's shit and full of concrete and we're all thick. "You're really up the Spaghetti Junction now!"

I never thought it would happen with me and the girl from Lozells.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
Look, loads of us took the piss when they went down at VP. Today was their chance to give it back. Our day will come again, and when it does we will take full advantage. Every dog etc etc

The 6-0 after they came straight back up was their mick take for a lifetime although our general record up there is pretty abysmal.

I loved it when we sent them down with the whole hysteria of Keegan and all that back then so that was enough for me. Since they've come up I'm pretty indifferent as their fans have quietened down realising mid table is as good as it gets for them under Mike Ashley.

Offline myf

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
I never watch match of the day when we lose, but last night I couldn't even bring myself to watch ant and Dec with the kids

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
They have some hairy backed simpletons for fans, but doesn't every club?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
At the end of the day it's all banter. No big deal.

Offline Trinitymiddle

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »

We struck Newcastle by deftly poking at their precious cultural myths, with which the UK media has gladly indulged them. Any team that sends us down will struggle to find any media-created myths about Birmingham, other than it's shit and full of concrete and we're all thick. "You're really up the Spaghetti Junction now!" "Who's your new Messiah, Ozzy or, erm, that bloke out of Crossroads." Etc. It won't have the same effect.

Exactly.
Almost any club other than Newcastle wouldn't have got the treatment they got at VP that day. It's their self-appointed 'best fans in the world' attitude that really winds people up, and that day was a bit of Schadenfreuder.
Yeah they get big crowds, but Tyneside (because it is Tynesside and not just Newcastle) has a population of 1 million, and almost no ethnic minorities. Birmingham has 1 million people, 2 or 3 teams and about 40% Asian, who traditionally do not go to football matches.
Also when they come to VP they are, without exception, the most boorish, arrogant and aggressive fans going.
They got their just deserts that day, and we hit a nerve. Truth hurts.

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »

Exactly.
Almost any club other than Newcastle wouldn't have got the treatment they got at VP that day. It's their self-appointed 'best fans in the world' attitude that really winds people up, and that day was a bit of Schadenfreuder.
Yeah they get big crowds, but Tyneside (because it is Tynesside and not just Newcastle) has a population of 1 million, and almost no ethnic minorities. Birmingham has 1 million people, 2 or 3 teams and about 40% Asian, who traditionally do not go to football matches.
Also when they come to VP they are, without exception, the most boorish, arrogant and aggressive fans going.
They got their just deserts that day, and we hit a nerve. Truth hurts.

Off topic and irrelevant but is Birmingham 40% Asian?

Regarding the northern neanderthals, banter all you because we deserve every bit we get but gesturing behind a fence and throwing things is a bit pathetic. They beat us, we are probably going down but throwing things and being violent especially when there are kids around pathetic and shows the Geordie Shore dick heads what they are about.

Sheeeerah can fuck himself too

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal