collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing along  (Read 8305 times)

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
Re: Press-ing along
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:59 AM »
In all fairness, it's a bit much to expect somebody serving burgers and pies to receive more than the minimum wage.

This isn't having a go at you, but this is a ingrained attitude towards retail staff that many people have.

It's part of the reason why many people treat retail staff like dirt and its such a horrible job to do.

There is certainly no excuse for treating people on minimum wage with any less respect than those in other professions.

I used to work in a pub a few years ago, so only got minimum wage. However, I didn't feel I was entitled to more for pouring pints and wiping tables. My answer was to get qualifications that would mean I justified a higher salary.

I think you're missing the point a bit. Villa, and all other Premier League clubs, can afford to pay all their employees a decent wage purely because it's the right thing to do.

Paying say, 600 staff an extra £1 an hour, for 5 hours a day for 35 weeks of the year would cost about £100K a year.  That's probably what we're paying Darren Bent every fortnight to play for somebody else.
In France that would actually cost the employer about £220k a year because of the ginormous employer contributions.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
In all fairness, it's a bit much to expect somebody serving burgers and pies to receive more than the minimum wage.

This isn't having a go at you, but this is a ingrained attitude towards retail staff that many people have.

It's part of the reason why many people treat retail staff like dirt and its such a horrible job to do.

There is certainly no excuse for treating people on minimum wage with any less respect than those in other professions.

I used to work in a pub a few years ago, so only got minimum wage. However, I didn't feel I was entitled to more for pouring pints and wiping tables. My answer was to get qualifications that would mean I justified a higher salary.

I think you're missing the point a bit. Villa, and all other Premier League clubs, can afford to pay all their employees a decent wage purely because it's the right thing to do.

Paying say, 600 staff an extra £1 an hour, for 5 hours a day for 35 weeks of the year would cost about £100K a year.  That's probably what we're paying Darren Bent every fortnight to play for somebody else.
In France that would actually cost the employer about £220k a year because of the ginormous employer contributions.

They'd only fritter it away on expensive cheese and foul cigarettes.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »

They'd only fritter it away on expensive cheese and foul cigarettes.

The French make cigarettes out of chickens and stuff? Typical French.

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »

I attended a meeting of the Birmingham branch of Citizens Uk yesterday, they're really hoping to push for the living wage to be paid across the region and are hopeful that Villa could be conducive towards doing their part.

I know that Tom Fox was very supportive of the idea of a living wage at the supporters trust AGM, indeed he said that he didn't understand what the point of a minimum wage was if it wasn't a living wage, however he did say that he thought this was a government issue as opposed to a business issue.

Dave - would you be able to PM me to discuss this further? It doesn't appear that i have permisson to message you on here.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
The claim that it's a government issue rather than a business issue is a laughable cop out when both political parties are effectively owned by big business.

If you don't have a problem with it in principal Fox, pay it. £250,000 a year isn't going to adversely affect the competitiveness of the club against it's rivals to any significant degree.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
I would rather be swanning around in the mid-table of the Championship and treat our staff properly than in the Champions League and paying minimum wage.

There's an online petition on Change.org (that coincidently arrived in my mail box this afternoon) protesting against exactly what Dave raised in his article. It's for all Premiership clubs - But I'm sure we could do one just for us if it was thought that would help make the matter more specific to us?

Here's the link https://www.change.org/p/premier-league-pay-all-of-your-staff-a-living-wage

Anyway I've signed

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
Signed as well.  Given all the excellent community work and "morally correct" way of doing business we've had in place for a long time now, it's disappointing to find we're hiding behind politics instead of doing what's right.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
Signed as well.  Given all the excellent community work and "morally correct" way of doing business we've had in place for a long time now, it's disappointing to find we're hiding behind politics instead of doing what's right.

Totally agree. It's extremely worrying that Dave said that he fears that the good (community) work done under Randy Lerner could now be getting un-picked and discarded going forward. As awful as we are and have been for some time on the pitch, it has been some consolation that we've done well in other off field areas.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:52:14 PM by Diablo »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
Good to see...

Luton make living wage commitment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32084150

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal