collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Baldy
[Today at 08:02:49 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by KNVillan
[Today at 07:58:57 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Nev
[Today at 07:50:45 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Mister E
[Today at 07:49:10 AM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 07:48:11 AM]

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing along  (Read 8303 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Press-ing along
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:42 AM »
He (Tom Fox) "wouldn’t commit to paying all club staff the Living Wage". What did Tom Fox say? And which staff at Villa Park don't get a living wage? Is it catering contracted match day staff? Or someone else? Ticket office, ground staff?

He said something about government policy and two-thirds of club employees receive above minimum wage. So a third, presumably mostly casual matchday staff, don't get paid enough to buy a ticket. That's not right.

That's appalling and I would say shocking but... It would be good to find out more details. The amount of money that goes through the club and if a third are on less than minimum wage - Jeez! I wonder if this is the same for all PL clubs or if any of them actually pay everyone a living wage?? I seem to remember the club did a big PR spin about being Green it would be good if they paid all their staff properly (as opposed to just the overpaid underachieving footballers).

A third are presumably on minimum wage - which is a legal requirement. Some clubs, Chelsea included, do pay the Living Wage.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 12:54:53 AM »
He (Tom Fox) "wouldn’t commit to paying all club staff the Living Wage". What did Tom Fox say? And which staff at Villa Park don't get a living wage? Is it catering contracted match day staff? Or someone else? Ticket office, ground staff?

He said something about government policy and two-thirds of club employees receive above minimum wage. So a third, presumably mostly casual matchday staff, don't get paid enough to buy a ticket. That's not right.

That's appalling and I would say shocking but... It would be good to find out more details. The amount of money that goes through the club and if a third are on less than minimum wage - Jeez! I wonder if this is the same for all PL clubs or if any of them actually pay everyone a living wage?? I seem to remember the club did a big PR spin about being Green it would be good if they paid all their staff properly (as opposed to just the overpaid underachieving footballers).

A third are presumably on minimum wage - which is a legal requirement. Some clubs, Chelsea included, do pay the Living Wage.

Ah. I misunderstood I thought there was some sort of loop hole that meant that staff could be paid less than the minimum wage?! As much as I don't like Chelsea - well done to them if they pay the living wage. The club should at the minimum pay everyone the agreed set living wage - it's still bad (just not quite as bad as I initially thought).

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 01:18:39 AM »
Did TF say that there was any commitment to increase the pay of those on MW to at least, LW?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:46 AM »
Did TF say that there was any commitment to increase the pay of those on MW to at least, LW?

There isn't.

Offline Louzie0

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 01:26:04 AM »

There isn't.
As you said, that's not right.
Unusual for this club that we have come to expect to get the basics right.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 01:35:18 AM »
I fear that the new broom is sweeping a lot of the good stuff away.

Offline Louzie0

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:16 AM »
I fear that the new broom is sweeping a lot of the good stuff away.

Does not sound like RL's established philosophy or practice, does it?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
I think RL1's philosophy was philanthropy whereas RL2's philosophy is stop chucking my money about.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »
A very good piece and good to see you mention the living wage. It's an obscenity for any PL club not to pay the living wage to all its staff.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »
How many jobs are we talking about on the minimum wage and how many do they employ as a whole?

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
In all fairness, it's a bit much to expect somebody serving burgers and pies to receive more than the minimum wage. If they did that job elsewhere, minimum wage is all they would get. If people see it as a problem then it's not a Villa problem it's a problem with this country as a whole.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »
In all fairness, it's a bit much to expect somebody serving burgers and pies to receive more than the minimum wage. If they did that job elsewhere, minimum wage is all they would get. If people see it as a problem then it's not a Villa problem it's a problem with this country as a whole.

We can't change the nation but we can change ourselves. We're Aston Villa and we do things right.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »
I think it was last season when one of our doormen in The Holte Suite and I were chatting and he informed me of the number of Noses who are employed at The Villa on match days....doing the same job that they did at the sty when blues were at home...but paid twice as much by AVFC.
I assume this was in reference to those with more "permanent" jobs than the constantly changing beer/burger servers.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
It shouldn't have been expected that we carry the name of a charity on our shirts instead of a commercial sponsor for a season, but we still did it.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »

No it isn't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal