collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing along  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: Press-ing along
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
I am amazed at this. I'd like to see the facts and figures on this one.

This article from 2013 may be of interest:

http://leftfootforward.org/2013/08/football-clubs-and-the-minimum-wage/

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »
The owner and boardroom staff at the club may have had good intentions, but their complete lack of understanding or care at this stage makes me angry and bewildered in equal measure.

Three Americans ruining - sorry, running the club. Lerner, Fox and Kulak. Two you rarely hear from, the other is concentrating on lucrative deals; all very well, but these will be null and void in the Championship. The living wage issue is a disgrace. The club is in a right mess from top to bottom. I used to moan at Deadly, but would gladly have him at the helm instead of these buffoons.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 01:49:14 PM »
He (Tom Fox) "wouldn’t commit to paying all club staff the Living Wage". What did Tom Fox say? And which staff at Villa Park don't get a living wage? Is it catering contracted match day staff? Or someone else? Ticket office, ground staff?

He said something about government policy and two-thirds of club employees receive above minimum wage. So a third, presumably mostly casual matchday staff, don't get paid enough to buy a ticket. That's not right.

Neo liberal economic policy.

Offline teamvillage

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »
Of all the things that I've read about the Premier League, that living wage comment is one of the absolute worst. However dreadful the football may be, I'd still come to games at least irregularly. I'm minded not to return until this policy changes, though.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
As two-thirds earn above minimum wage maybe the other third are on minimum wage.

Offline ez

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
A lot of companies shy away from saying if they pay the living wage preferring to say they exceed minimum wage, which of course can still be low pay.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
A very honest article Dave.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 07:34:29 PM »
An excellent piece Dave.   Dark, astringent and unambiguous.   The whole squad should spend a day at Bodymoor Heath writing it out in their best handwriting fifty times.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
I talked with my son earlier today and he summed it up in the following manner.   "I used to be really proud to be an Aston Villa fan, now I am ashamed."

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 08:17:14 PM »
The club has become a laughing stock and the butt of many jokes. I cringe embarrassment now, something I thought would never happen. Our stock is so low that the likes of Swansea, Stoke and Southampton are superior to us. Thanks Randy....

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
Talking of low pay - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31591075

Church of England embarrassed. Most likely not the only organisation either.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
I talked with my son earlier today and he summed it up in the following manner.   "I used to be really proud to be an Aston Villa fan, now I am ashamed."

I never have, and never will be, ashamed to be Villa.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »

I never have, and never will be, ashamed to be Villa.

Me neither, nor I don't cringe with embarrassment.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »
I'm not ashamed, very occasionally slightly embarrassed, but only for a short time. 

Offline Diablo

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:01 AM »
He (Tom Fox) "wouldn’t commit to paying all club staff the Living Wage". What did Tom Fox say? And which staff at Villa Park don't get a living wage? Is it catering contracted match day staff? Or someone else? Ticket office, ground staff?

He said something about government policy and two-thirds of club employees receive above minimum wage. So a third, presumably mostly casual matchday staff, don't get paid enough to buy a ticket. That's not right.

That's appalling and I would say shocking but... It would be good to find out more details. The amount of money that goes through the club and if a third are on less than minimum wage - Jeez! I wonder if this is the same for all PL clubs or if any of them actually pay everyone a living wage?? I seem to remember the club did a big PR spin about being Green it would be good if they paid all their staff properly (as opposed to just the overpaid underachieving footballers).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal