collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa and The FA Cup  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Villa and The FA Cup
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 11:37:26 AM »
It will be a repeat of the 1957 Cup Final. It's written in the stars.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
i'll readily admit that i'm carried away with excitement at the prospect of an FA cup win. I was at wembley in 2000 and it was without doubt my worse day as a Villa supporter.

Though if you look at it rationally and go with the odds, at the semi final stage there's only likely to be Utd / Arsenal, Liverpool and one other team to beat to get to the final. clearly there's no reason our current form would suggest we'd beat liverpool or say Utd in a semi-final, but for me its a lot more realistic that we would beat either of them than if chelsea or man city were still in it.

Nowhere near easy, but probably as 'easy' as it gets for us to get to the final these days.

Once there, its the cup final. anyone can beat anyone on the day.

Perfect scenario would be the same result as in our last FA cup final against Utd, closely followed by pissing on gerrard's sick-inducing swansong. Actually that might be better. I 'll have to give it some consideration...

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
It's better not to get carried away. We have to beat Albion yet, and we couldn't even manage that last time out. If we do overcome that little hurdle, I'll start dreaming after the semi-final draw is made.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »

and the same score please :)

UTV
The Doc

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »

With hopefully the same result and book ending nicely the last miserable 58 years.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
I won't allow myself to get carried away yet but what I will say is this: we are good enough to beat any of the remaining teams left in the competition - I have no doubts at all about that.  If our name is on the Cup we will win it, if it isn't to be our year so be it.

Another thing I am certain of - and I'm not typing this as some kind of sentimental nonsense - is the power and will of our supporters.  If we harness the pains and experiences of the past four years and multiply this by the frustrations this Cup has dealt us since '57 I reckon there will be no hungrier and desperate-to-win club than Aston Villa.  Cute, utterly meaningless, TV executive S. Gerrard narratives included, I'll be very surprised if there is any club out there more prepared to battle over the line for the trophy than The Villa. 

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
I'll be a bit more positive about our chances when I see how we play under Sherwood over the next couple of weeks. Cup competitions are largely about confidence and belief - it's only rarely they're won completely on talent and skill. We have a squad that I'd back to win one game that really counted, but I'm too pessimistic to think that we're ready to do that yet.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »

With hopefully the same result and book ending nicely the last miserable 58 years.
Can't say that all of the intervening 58 years have been miserable, there were a couple of highlight sat the start of the 80's :)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
In the words of the late, great Donna Summer (or one of the S/A/W mob wot wrote it), 'This time I know it's for real'.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
Do you know, if we had lost just one less FA Cup match every season since 1957, we would now have won the FA Cup over 60 times? How fine the margins are, eh?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »

58 miserable years?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »

58 miserable years?

Sorry, to be clear, 58 miserable FA Cup runs. Though I've just realised its 57 years and I'm getting ahead of myself! You see Villa this is what you've turned me into, I've already written it off and we've not been knocked out yet!

Shall I just go back to bed?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »
If we can avoid Arsenal we have a chance of getting to the Final.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
It's better not to get carried away. We have to beat Albion yet, and we couldn't even manage that last time out. If we do overcome that little hurdle, I'll start dreaming after the semi-final draw is made.

And that is the way to look at it. To reach the semi final would be a major achievement if we do it.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
I didn't even realise Donna Summer was dead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal