collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Back Room Staff  (Read 56012 times)

Offline Rudy65

Re: New Back Room Staff
« Reply #450 on: April 22, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »
Ciaran Cosgrave appointed as Sports Psychologist.

With all of these appointments in key areas we are starting to look and feel like a proper PL football club that wants to operate at the right end of the table. It starts with players, but the manager having a proper team is critical. Sherwood appears to be putting together a very good staff to help him.

Thank f**k for that, I've been wanting the club to have a full time sports psychologist for years, the mental aspect of the game is, in my opinion, what has stopped our good kids going on to become good villa players, we've just lost them in that 18-21 period and whilst a large number have gone on to make it as footballers not many have achieved what they should've (I'm looking firmly in the direction of Blackpool here).

It helps a little, but players either make it or they dont because of their ability and attitude. I don't think Delfounso would have made it with any psychological help. He just isn't good enough for the prem or the championship

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #451 on: April 22, 2015, 10:38:50 PM »

With all of these appointments in key areas we are starting to look and feel like a proper PL football club that wants to operate at the right end of the table. It starts with players, but the manager having a proper team is critical. Sherwood appears to be putting together a very good staff to help him.

Thank f**k for that, I've been wanting the club to have a full time sports psychologist for years, the mental aspect of the game is, in my opinion, what has stopped our good kids going on to become good villa players, we've just lost them in that 18-21 period and whilst a large number have gone on to make it as footballers not many have achieved what they should've (I'm looking firmly in the direction of Blackpool here).

It helps a little, but players either make it or they dont because of their ability and attitude. I don't think Delfounso would have made it with any psychological help. He just isn't good enough for the prem or the championship

Attitude is the important bit. The main issue, for me, is that players get called up to the first team and play a few games and they think they've made it.  If an SP helps 1 in 10 or even 20 of them keep grounded (like Grealish's dad is doing) and focused than they are then he's worth his weight in gold.

Specifically on Delfouneso just seemed to lose that desire when his breakthrough didn't result in him being a regular.  It was almost like getting a glimpse and then having it taken away broke him, which is why I wonder if having someone to talk things through with, etc might hae made a difference.  Anyone who saw him at 16 wouldn't have thought he'd be struggling to get games at the bottom championship now so something clearly went wrong, this might be the answer or might not, but for £100k a year or so it's well worth a go.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #452 on: April 23, 2015, 01:35:57 AM »
As an aside, Sherwood has quickly built up a massive team of staff which seems to be a complete about turn compared to the conditions which Lambert was asked to manage.  Does this suggest that a takeover is in the pipeline?

I think there is also the possibility that Lambert did not want help.

Offline supertom

« Reply #453 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:26 AM »
As an aside, Sherwood has quickly built up a massive team of staff which seems to be a complete about turn compared to the conditions which Lambert was asked to manage.  Does this suggest that a takeover is in the pipeline?

Lambert wasn't the most pro-active manager. It was always a case of "it can wait." We were running on a skeleton crew and clearly it had an effect.

Offline supertom

« Reply #454 on: April 23, 2015, 01:49:41 AM »

Attitude is the important bit. The main issue, for me, is that players get called up to the first team and play a few games and they think they've made it.  If an SP helps 1 in 10 or even 20 of them keep grounded (like Grealish's dad is doing) and focused than they are then he's worth his weight in gold.

Specifically on Delfouneso just seemed to lose that desire when his breakthrough didn't result in him being a regular.  It was almost like getting a glimpse and then having it taken away broke him, which is why I wonder if having someone to talk things through with, etc might hae made a difference.  Anyone who saw him at 16 wouldn't have thought he'd be struggling to get games at the bottom championship now so something clearly went wrong, this might be the answer or might not, but for £100k a year or so it's well worth a go.
There was definitely plenty of ability with Fonz. As there was with the Moores. Nathan just didn't have enough determination to be honest. I don't think he was entirely helped by O Neill's first 14 favourites policy. There were times when he'd done enough to earn more game time, perhaps even a couple of starts (perhaps ahead of Heskey). He struggled unfortunately. I think Houllier tried him a couple of times out wide, but it didn't fit.
I think we gave a few of those youngens too lucrative a contract as well. Nath was reportedly on something close to 20k a week, with Bannan etc. Whether true, who knows, but he never seemed to show the gumption other players did.
If you look at the strikers that came through our ranks in the last 12-13 years, the Moore's, Gabby, Weimann and Fonzy...I'd say in terms of natural footballing talent that the Moores (particularly Luke) and Fonzy had the most natural ability, whereas Gabby and Weimann were more raw.
As things have transpired though, Gabby and Weimann are still here because they've worked their asses off. They put themselves about. Andi works very hard. Gabby certainly did when he first broke in (latterly under Lambert he seemed to lose desire, but he had it in spades in his early days).

Talent only gets you so far. Hopefully a sports psychologist can help some of these lads focus and fulfil their potential.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #455 on: April 23, 2015, 02:15:59 AM »

Lambert wasn't the most pro-active manager. It was always a case of "it can wait." We were running on a skeleton crew and clearly it had an effect.

Agreed. The back room staff stuff really was bizarre looking back.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2015, 02:13:47 AM »
Interesting article about Coquelin but what really stood out to me was how Arsenal found him. Hope we are working towards a scouting network with genuinely knowledgeable people spreading the Villa net far and wide. I know this is in France so obviously Wenger is all over it.

Arsenal’s French scout, their former defender Gilles Grimandi, spotted him playing for France’s Under‑17s and Coquelin was invited for a week’s trial at London Colney.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/09/francis-coquelin-arsenal-king-counter-bling

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal