collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Expectations of Sherwood....  (Read 7558 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Expectations of Sherwood....
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:06:33 AM »
This is not a thread for the merits of the appointment.

What are your expectations for Villa under Sherwood?

Mine are survival this season, mid table and safe by end of March next season and then building on that with a top half finish season after.

Also, I expect him to work out how to get Villa winning 8-10 home games a season

I don't expect tactical brilliance, or game changing analysis from him, just the ability to mould a team that can win games at home, and get into upper mid table in a couple of seasons.

And not bleat on about Spurs.

Offline Damo70

Re: Expectations of Sherwood....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:16:15 AM »
I can't look beyond this season until it is over and we are hopefully safe. After the last five years avoiding a relegation battle will be an achievement. After the last ten years lots of home wins would be nice. He could of course win every home game between now and the end of the season, avoid relegation and win the FA Cup. Which would be nice.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:16:28 AM »
Avoid relegation- or be sacked

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 02:29:45 AM »
Safety and play with some passion.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 02:30:41 AM »
I said after the Hull game that if we stuck with Lambert we'd probably go down and that if we sacked him we'd probably stay up.  I still believe that.  Regardless of what I think about Sherwood you usually seem to get some sort of boost when a new manager comes in.  How long that lasts time will tell but I think changing manager has bought us at least 3 or 4 more points than we'd have had otherwise, probably more.  Someone on here said that what we need is wins and as brief as it is Sherwood's career seems to be wins or losses with lots of goals for and against.  Which has to be an improvement on draws or losses and no goals.

Offline django

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 02:34:25 AM »
I expect us to go down this season with some reasonable doubts about the manager. I expect us to struggle in the championship and for the board to take too long to sack him.

And I ask myself how did we get here? This is not my beautiful club. Same as it ever was.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:56:55 AM »
Keep us up and sacked by November.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:14:05 AM »
If he keeps us up it will be a long while before he gets sacked. If we stay up then he deserves to be fully backed in the market. Only then can we start to properly judge him. Every manager needs to be allowed at least one transfer window to make something of the side he inherits. He should get that opportunity.

Offline alftitimus

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:07 AM »
With these 'riders'...ok ?

Tim Sherwood was part of the fabric at WHL.
He had Ramsey, Ferdinand and the ground staff etc as his moral and supportive allies.
He could afford to play the "English Jose" in his brief 5 months, and he could afford to withdraw from WBA, Palace, QPR and everyone else and retain his "Mike Walker" redundancy agreement. {Look it up the young ones  :D}

He has obviously come in on HIS TERMS.

The stumbling block at WBA with Peace, was that the owner wanted to retain his coaching staff, and Tim wanted Ferdinand and Ramsey...but not Glenn by that time.
Peace relented to Pulis on the same issue...so some bosses can learn....it seems.

Those are my "riders".

What can we expect from Tim ?

A stranger to all our staff, coming in initially with no supportive elements. No cheerleaders and no elder statesmen who are part of the DNA of the club.
He will have to certainly adjust his personna...no more shooting off from the hip please.
Support staff ..we don't know yet.

So it looks to me that it is down to his own charisma in the dressing room and at training.
The strength of his character and the acumen in tactics to arouse a fairly decent squad from their torpor.

If it was true that Roy ruffled Gabby's feathers...then I am worried if Tim would do his Spurs' rant and get the same result.
He has no "good-cop" at the moment, whereas Paul was always the "good-cop" to the henious assistant "bad-cops" he always hid behind.

5 months as a Prem manager and a London media love-affair has projected him into a false stratosphere imo. Pardew, Pulis...didn't get that amount of man-love from the journos down sarf. And they played, or are playing with squads costing  one tenth of what Tim had at his fingertips.

He is standing alone at the moment. If he remains alone, without moral and DNA support from villa, and doesn't change or even adjust his 'perceived' image.
Disaster.

What do I expect ?

A fumbling...a 'new-manager-bounce' with points. A searing close-season with a new bomb squad, and Randy can raise his price again as a result of the new obscene money.

Talked enough...off for a shower then to get to the train for a 4 hour journey.

Will post next month... ;D

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 04:10:19 AM »
Stay up and win the FA cup.

When you break it down to easily manageable steps like that, it's almost a formality!

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:29 AM »
Score some goals, trust the kids, arrogantly bring some pride and status back to the club, I expect a couple careers to abruptly end and no holding back when it comes to his opinions of ownership, referees and other clubs.

I honestly can't wait, I want some brash attitude back at the club.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:03:30 AM by villadelph »

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »
I expect him to instruct the lazy pricks in the side to start playing to their ability or get out. I hope he tells Benteke that although he isn't in great form he still expects him to run the lines and not spit the dummy when things don't go his way and lastly i want him to get the midfielders to support the forwards in the box.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 07:30:10 AM »
What we think or theorize about is not important. It is what the players make of him and they will soon show whether he is effective or not. I am very much behind him because I want fire and spirit and a winning mentality that has all but evaporated under Lambert.
I fully accept the probable paucity of managerial finesse but our problems are bigger than that. The patient needs cardiac massage not psychotherapy.

Offline shaunreynolds

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
I expect him to get the players to believe in themselves and eachother, Play good solid football and make sure they take their opportunities and to develop a winning mentality. As far as the season is concerned stay up, finish 13th and build on that for a mid table finish the season after and depending on today's result getting us as far as possible (dreaming of Wembley) in the FA Cup.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
Yes, I am sick of players having the power.  Oh, you don't like someone with an attitude having a go at you?  Why not go and sulk and play badly then?  That'll endear you to the fans who know you earn their annual salary in a week.

It's been happening for a while now.  Going back to that Dunne/Collins bust up in Houllier's reign, allegedly over new harder training methods.  Keane's exit hints at similar i.e players not making much effort.

The players have to stand up and be counted.  If someone isn't giving it then bench them.  We have seen the 'manager's favourites' philosophy in the starting line up for too long (back to BFR days). 

Sherwood would not have been my choice but Villadelph's comment above 'I want some brash attitude back at the club' is good and hopefully will happen.  We shouldn't have to apologise for being Aston Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal