collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: It's not Sherwood!  (Read 647691 times)

Offline Stirchley Villain

Re: It's not Sherwood!
« Reply #6375 on: May 28, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
I'll let PWS take this one:

What's moneyball?

To simplify it as much as possible, signing players that are massively undervalued by other clubs that can do what you highly value. In Billy Beane's case, this was mainly the ability to get on base. It had little to nothing to do with signing a 21 year old full of promise to sell for more later, as highly promising players they weren't undervalued in the first place. He'd sign a 35 year old for a year if he could afford him and he got on base. He used sabermetrics to find these players. It's called moneyball as the Oakland annual budget was say $40m and he was trying to find a way to compete with teams like the Yankees spending $130m a year.

Paul McGrath was a "Moneyball" signing. Jordan Veretout and Adama Traore weren't.

Edit: if you want an example of a recent "Moneyball" signing - Robert Huth to Leicester would tick pretty much all the boxes.

Solano would be my tip for our best moneyball signing of recent(ish) years.

You didn't need to analyse any stats to know that he was good though

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #6376 on: May 28, 2016, 06:02:04 PM »
Yes you are right about Merson PWS and I was wrong.  In haste I forgot what a big lump of money he cost us.
He was the dog's bollox though. I miss the 90's, for both Villa and non Villa-related reasons.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6377 on: May 29, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Yes you are right about Merson PWS and I was wrong.  In haste I forgot what a big lump of money he cost us.
He was the dog's bollox though. I miss the 90's, for both Villa and non Villa-related reasons.

As long as the opposition wasn't up to much, he was brilliant.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #6378 on: May 31, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »

Colin Calderwood and Ronny Johnsen are better examples Brian.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #6379 on: May 31, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »

Colin Calderwood and Ronny Johnsen are better examples Brian.

Or maybe bringing back Vlaar if the doctors thought he could do 25-30 games.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #6380 on: June 01, 2016, 08:43:36 AM »
I heard two soundbites this morning from an interview that Sherwood gave to Radio 5 regarding Kane.

I didn't know that so much arrogance and so many cliches could be fitted into thirty seconds

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #6381 on: June 02, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
Poor Sherwood does nt get a second go at villa ! Thankfully!  Or near the Leeds and derby jobs!  He 'll end up at Leyton orient or something and a filler on goals on Sunday and motd2 pundit in mean time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal