collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:24:55 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 11:21:58 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:06:24 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:00:31 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Doug Ellis donates £1 million  (Read 21049 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Sir Doug Ellis donates £1 million
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2015, 12:39:02 AM »
Pauline, do you remember Ellis wanting the removal of Sir Ron ?

If you mean Saunders, it was quite obvious that if he'd won in 1979 the manager would have gone the day after. The letter he sent to shareholders talked about a sinking ship and the captain. A shareholder of the time told me that Saunders came round his house to ask who he'd be voting for.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2015, 01:07:28 AM »
In the same way Lambert has got off lightly because he isn't McLeish the same applies to Randy because he isn't Doug.

Doug made some awful decisions because of ego, Randy appears to be making decisions based on apathy.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2015, 01:29:19 AM »
In the same way Lambert has got off lightly because he isn't McLeish the same applies to Randy because he isn't Doug.

Doug made some awful decisions because of ego, Randy appears to be making decisions based on apathy.

I was going to totally agree with that but I think the apathy as you call it is more like being worn down with his personal problems and the clubs problems. As comparisons with Doug are being made I would say he lacks Doug's thick skin and ability to take a punch and get back up again. Possibly due to their different backgrounds and how they got rich.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2015, 01:48:35 AM »

I was going to totally agree with that but I think the apathy as you call it is more like being worn down with his personal problems and the clubs problems. As comparisons with Doug are being made I would say he lacks Doug's thick skin and ability to take a punch and get back up again. Possibly due to their different backgrounds and how they got rich.

That's a good point. I think Randy sets a lot of store by loyalty (hence being affected by O'Neill walking out) and he's also not suited to the high profile of being a club chairman. Doug used to take the criticism/abuse but he was a firm believer in the adage of what's worse than being talked about.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »
SH, is there any chance you can stop being so obtuse and actually say what you are so obviously implying?
If you think that Dave is refusing to criticise Lerner (even though he does actually criticise Lerner!) because he is on the payroll or something then just come out and bloody say it, at least then it will be in the open and you can stop sniping.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Both men have made mistakes, but at least Ellis would front up and face the music, as opposed to fleeing back to America and hiding like Lerner has.

Its a shame that proud history, bright future scarf he gave us cant be used as a contract, as I'd sue him for breach of contract.

Exactly. Ellis for all his faults faces the music and never hid like Lerner does and continues to do.

So it's ok for LTA to criticize Lerner but not ok for another poster not to criticize him? What the fuck is all that about? How about growing up a bit?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »

That's a good point. I think Randy sets a lot of store by loyalty (hence being affected by O'Neill walking out) and he's also not suited to the high profile of being a club chairman. Doug used to take the criticism/abuse but he was a firm believer in the adage of what's worse than being talked about.
Apathy may not be the right word but there appears to be a reluctance, where as Doug seemed to like taking decisions even if the were bad ones.

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »
Ellis bought Cascarino instead of Sheringham as Graham Taylor told him too.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
It makes me laugh at some of the ridiculous comments made against Lerner, often by the same people that think we should be following the Southampton model. I wonder when was the last time the Saints fans complained Katharina Liebherr hardly attends St Mary's?

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
It makes me laugh at some of the ridiculous comments made against Lerner, often by the same people that think we should be following the Southampton model. I wonder when was the last time the Saints fans complained Katharina Liebherr hardly attends St Mary's?

They were pretty pissed off at the start of the season after they had flogged all their bright lights - wasn't there talk that she wanted to sell the club?

And yet, with a decent new manager and some sensible reinvestment they are flying.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »
It's just one of those irrelevancies like people who complain about Lambert's accent. There are so many real things to take issue with, why bother with such minutiae.

If he put the right people in place to run things properly then I don't think anybody would be bothered if he decided that he never wanted to watch a match at Villa Park again.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
It's just one of those irrelevancies like people who complain about Lambert's accent. There are so many real things to take issue with, why bother with such minutiae.

If he put the right people in place to run things properly then I don't think anybody would be bothered if he decided that he never wanted to watch a match at Villa Park again.

Exactly. For the best part of the 70's we never really cared who was the owner of the club as we had the right manager in place and the football, especially at Villa Park, was a joy to watch. Only when the manager was challenged did people start to care about the owners.

As I said the other day, the most important individual at any football club is the manager. Get that appointment right and the rest will take care of itself.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »
Owners are like referees, you only really give a damn about them when they're really shit.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Owners are like referees, you only really give a damn about them when they're really shit.

Spot on. The daughter of the previous Southampton owner has been previously mentioned and she is a prime example. Apparently she didn't have a clue and didn't care and the club was going to suffer if she stayed. Now they are doing well she just doesn't get a mention one way or the other.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2015, 01:37:06 AM »
Exactly. For the best part of the 70's we never really cared who was the owner of the club as we had the right manager in place and the football, especially at Villa Park, was a joy to watch. Only when the manager was challenged did people start to care about the owners.

As I said the other day, the most important individual at any football club is the manager. Get that appointment right and the rest will take care of itself.

That's not strictly true. Throughout the seventies the Villa's ownership was a hotly-disputed topic because there were several boardroom battles, two EGMS, four chairmen and a biggest shareholder who came from nowhere although the position of the manger was the main argument in the biggest battle of the lot. It's true, though, that nobody really cares what the owner says or does when the team's doing well.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal