collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is our squad of players good enough  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Is our squad of players good enough
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
It's good enough for 8th-12th, so better than Lambert is doing with it.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
Nothing the matter with the players ability. Maybe there is with their commitment and dedication. It all comes down to Lambert and nobody else. Not Lerner and Fox who clearly do not understand the realities of football. But Lambert who has failed the club time and time again.

Mr Lambert I wish you would resign and go home to Scotland where you would be a lot happier.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 03:46:25 PM »
Good enough for mid table yes I feel certain. Southampton are challenging top 4, they ain't that good.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
I don't think it's a great squad to be honest, however I think most managers would finish between 11th-15th with it. Most managers would find a system to get a lot more goals from Benteke and the team in general.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
How could I forget Charlie Nzogbia :)

Lambert's sea changes in philosophy every six months hardly helps matters with the players.

Im not sure Mourinho could get more out of quite a number though - Vlaar, Senderos, Baker, Cissokho, Richardson, Cole, Cleverley, Nzogbia, Gabby, Weimann, Lowton. They are either in the injury prone or terminal decline category or both in many cases.

Benteke is miles better than his current awfulness, cant help feeling though that we wont ever be seeing a return to the form of his first season. Even without Paul Lambert.

Delph should also be a lot better and a new manager would surely rectify the pub team naivety we showed yesterday.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
There are undoubtedly some good players i our squad, but as a group of players it's always felt very unbalanced to me, under Lambert.

For instance, he went into his first season with us with a first-choice back 4 of Lowton-Vlaar-Clark-Bennett, 3 players with no Premiership experience and one with very little.

Then there's the way that he went about stripping his squad of any wide-players, whilst paying £14m for two 6ft4 strikers.

I don't think he's ever really had a vision or a plan for the squad, just kind of muddled along and bought players that he rates as and when they become available. Just imagine how much faffing around with left-backs we would have saved if we'd just bought Arron Cresswell when we were first interested in him.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
Definitely, we have a pretty decent squad, which is a damning indictment of the current coaching setup.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
I tend to differ. I think the squad/team is where it is deservedly so,and about right for the ability they/we have. I don't disagree that a half-decent manager would have coaxed more out of them- in effect got them to over-achieve,but looking at the squad dispassionately it is poor.

No leadership.
No real pace.
Not technically gifted.
No good at set pieces when attacking.
Unbalanced throughout.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »
Definitely, we have a pretty decent squad, which is a damning indictment of the current coaching setup.

Same here. I actually like most of our players, almost all have shown their true potential at some stage over the season. The problem is most certainly with the inept manager who appears to make it up as he goes along. Any new manager coming in would have a great group to start with. How many managers would struggle for goals with Benteke leading their attack? Lambert's failure isn't about the lack of funds, it's his lack of know-how. I honestly believe a decent manager with our current squad would see us today on 35/36 points, 8th or 9th in the league.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
Our squad is comfortably good enough to be competing for 9th-12th.

This

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
Its odd

Lerner might be thinking , no more bloody money because that squad should be higher up the league.
But then you think so that's how crap lambert is , so why not sack him.

Lerner has made a right pigs ear of it all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal