collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Set Pieces and ideas to make us better!!!  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Loxton01

Set Pieces and ideas to make us better!!!
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:55:11 AM »
No matter how bad you are in open play ...... There's still hope for some teams from set pieces however not Villa under this manager! Why not I ask!

We have some big players and yet we look totally clueless from set pieces I can't remember the last goal or even chance we created! So surely that's one thing that can be worked on

Other ideas other than sacking the manager

1. Bring an ex villa player into the coaching staff who can bring some ideas and passion and an understanding of what it means to play for Villa

2. Never ever play a team compromising of all of Sanchez Delph and cleverley! We have to play with more tempo and it doesn't need all three of these players

3. Don't rely on the fullbacks as our sole source of width!

4. Play forward passes even at the risk of losing the ball

5. Use Benteke's height and power to put advantage to not be trying to hit him from the keeper is criminal

6. Stop taking the ball off our centre halves in our final third let them bring it out meaning we are further up the pitch

7. Whenever the player is on the ball the team has to give him a min of two options if not players are not moving enough to find space

8. Use the channels and cross the ball! Everytime we hit the final third one of our midfielders must be in the box with a late run instead of crossing with one man there

9. Aim to be in the oppositions half within three passes

10. Practice set pieces find ways to score from then

Let's hope Lambert reads and takes some of our ideas on board

Offline mattjpa

Re: Set Pieces and ideas to make us better!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
I would add;

1. Get some sort of clear, coherant plan for throws ins. It is such a basic yet fundamental part of the game and yet we must have gifted Arsenal the ball 10 times from our throws. Letting a fullback wang it as far down the line to Benteke with no one else around him is ridiculously basic

2. When defending corners leave 1 or 2 men up field. It doesnt need to be Benteke but Weimann and Gil offer very little when defending them anyway. Having all of your players in your own box is false economy as it means the opposition can  push a couple of extra people in there as well with nothing to worry about. It also means that when we clear it the opposition have another free go at getting it back in there.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »
I think i'd take Gill off corner taking duties for a start. The Arsenal keeper seemed to catch nearly every one yesterday.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »

2. Never ever play a team compromising of all of cleverley

Fixed.

When Westwood came on yesterday he really was pretty good, made a couple of sharp passes and that shot which was saved. He's much better than Cleverley.

Offline Boz

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »

Fixed.

When Westwood came on yesterday he really was pretty good, made a couple of sharp passes and that shot which was saved. He's much better than Cleverley.

Absolutely, time for TC to go back to the ManUre

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
I would add;

1. Get some sort of clear, coherant plan for throws ins. It is such a basic yet fundamental part of the game and yet we must have gifted Arsenal the ball 10 times from our throws. Letting a fullback wang it as far down the line to Benteke with no one else around him is ridiculously basic

A regular gripe of mine - almost always lose the ball within 2 touches from  a throw (watch out for it on Saturday)  - the movement and options to the thrower are woeful. This is simple stuff surely??

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
We're shocking at throw-in's.....and why don't we do a corner to the near post for a flick on?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »
Exactly, KD.

I was telling my mate on Sunday how, when TGGT was manager, every free-kick and corner was an inswinger with someone looking for the near-post flick-on. it worked well and resulted in several goals.

I know that the game has changed a lot but how is lobbing the ball up for the keeper to catch it an improvement on the old methods?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »
All these ideas would only come to fruition if...

we sacked the manager

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:59 PM »
Exactly. Can we stop pretending we don't have an inept, clueless manager. It's starting to get silly.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »
Whenever anybody asks for ideas it reminds me of when McCroskey asks Johnny if he has any ideas in Airplane.

"We could have a version of Hollywood squares, but for kids. Gary Coleman could host".

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »
I'd also add

11. Give Lambo his cards and ignore all previous points.

He's the root cause of all our woes.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:06:26 AM »
1. Bring an ex villa player into the coaching staff who can bring some ideas and passion and an understanding of what it means to play for Villa

Not having a go at you, but I will never, ever understand some of the thinking that goes behind people suggesting this.

The other day, someone said "Get Peter Withe in. And Gary Shaw".

Peter Withe has been coaching twelve year olds in Asia, and Gary Shaw has been working as a salesman for a brewery for 20 years (I think).

How on earth do people think appointments like that, based purely on the idea that someone is "Villa through and through", are going to work out?

How are people like that, or people who have never managed or coached at any high level, going to come in here, into a league which, in some cases, bears zero recognition to that which they played in for us, and hit the ground running at sufficient pace to somehow contribute enough to turn things around?

Honestly, does anyone really think that getting someone in to try to get the likes of - players picked at random - Okore, Bacuna, Benteke, Sanchez - to play better purely by explaining "what it means to play for Aston Villa"?

Really?

Like when, say, Newcastle got Alan Shearer in, no doubt with the same line of thought, and his only contribution turned out to be to make their relegation even funnier than it already was?

Suggestions like that make me think that maybe Lerner and co aren't as stupid as we think they are, as there's no chance they'll go near that type of idea, and with good reason.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:10:56 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:10:20 AM »

Fixed.

Absolutely.

Cleverley is absolutely shite, Westwood is no world beater, but offers way more.

I bet you what you like Cleverley starts this weekend, though.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 12:25:17 AM »
I'd also add

11. Give Lambo his cards and ignore all previous points.

He's the root cause of all our woes.

I want him out as well, but the root cause of all our woes? Really?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal