collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 08:27:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 08:26:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:26:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bent Neilsens Screamer
[Today at 08:24:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:24:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:23:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 08:22:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How are we perceived?  (Read 10221 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: How are we perceived?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Famous old stadium.  Won The European Cup you say? They never did? Did they? I'm surprised about that.

It's strange how many people still say to me that Villa Park is a famous old stadium. Another myth.

Why ?

It's an old stadium as it's always been on the same plot of land and has 4 corners, that's 'old stadium' ish.

Famous ? It's held numerous semi-finals and is and has been for a long long time, the home to the second city's best football club.

It's famous !

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
Famous old stadium.  Won The European Cup you say? They never did? Did they? I'm surprised about that.

It's strange how many people still say to me that Villa Park is a famous old stadium. Another myth.

Why ?

It's an old stadium as it's always been on the same plot of land and has 4 corners, that's 'old stadium' ish.

Famous ? It's held numerous semi-finals and is and has been for a long long time, the home to the second city's best football club.

It's famous !

ok

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
Its famous and its old.

The fact three of the stands are 20 years or less is neither here nor there. Its what seperates us from Goodison which instead of being a "famous old stadium" s a "famous old shit stadium".

It's famous but there's nothing older than 40 years about Villa Park

And I'd take Everton's Leitch masterpiece over Doug's Lego Trinity any day.

Well yes I would agree.But as I have said previously if Fred Rinder had still been alive he would have knocked down his masterpiece well before Doug did. I still can't get used to the proper Witton Lane Stand being knocked down. That was a magnificent sight to behold.

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
I'm only arguing with the claim that Villa Park is an old stadium. It isn't, it's 40 years old

it might be situated on ancient land, of historical significance, but so is Wembley, and that aint an old stadium either.

Back to the original question though, most people of a similar age to me that I speak to about Villa are pretty respectful, usually tell me how much they loved Gary Shaw's wedge and the 77-81 kit. And most of them mention the Holte.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »
What does it really matter whether the individual stands have been knocked down and built again? It's still the same physical space. It's still Villa Park and not the 02 Bowl or some such shite.

Wembley Stadium has been completely knocked down and re-built, but it's still Wembley. It's still the scene of English football's greatest triumph and countless memories in the long history of classified football in England. That's what counts.

Knocking down an old stadium and then building a pre-packed identikit stadium in some out-of-town convenience location, and then renaming it after whoever pays the most for the 'privilege' is the problem. Not improving what's already there. We would still be standing in fields on the sidelines otherwise.

Offline fbriai

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »
Sorry, Chico, hadn't seen your reply.

Not trying to be arsey with my post, by the way!

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
No probs - it's all good fun

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »

Tim, when I read that it makes me think of Flight of the Conchords ("New Zealand's 4th best electro funk acapella band") or whatever it was!

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Offline Damo70

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
What does it really matter whether the individual stands have been knocked down and built again? It's still the same physical space. It's still Villa Park and not the 02 Bowl or some such shite.

Wembley Stadium has been completely knocked down and re-built, but it's still Wembley. It's still the scene of English football's greatest triumph and countless memories in the long history of classified football in England. That's what counts.

Knocking down an old stadium and then building a pre-packed identikit stadium in some out-of-town convenience location, and then renaming it after whoever pays the most for the 'privilege' is the problem. Not improving what's already there. We would still be standing in fields on the sidelines otherwise.

Villa Park - Historical stadium or the football ground equivalent to Trigger's broom?

Offline Cliftonville Villain

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »
Hi Cliftonvilla,
Too true. there was a lad called Magee in my school who followed the righteous path also, but in all my time in Belfast he was the only one I knew.
It's good to be different!
Cheers Neil.
[Cheers mate]

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
God has spoken

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-mcgrath-aston-villa-disgrace-8570292

He means the fans are rightfully in panic mode. Lerner, Fox & Lambert seem very happy to watch us get relegated without a trace of panic.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2015, 06:02:09 PM »
if not this season, so on and so forth

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »

Villa Park - Historical stadium or the football ground equivalent to Trigger's broom?

Damn - beat me to it!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:51:40 PM by Witton Warrior »

Offline fbriai

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »

Damn - beat me to it!

I was on a roll there,  too. You've knocked the wind right out my sails.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal