collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How are we perceived?  (Read 10183 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: How are we perceived?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »
I agree with Ads. I couldn't care less what people are writing about us on Facebook. Few of the many things wrong with modern football annoy me more than these posts along the lines of 'what are {insert name of team here} for?!' As if, just because a team isn't on Sky continuously, they are of no importance. Never mind the history and community related to the club, the people whose lives are wrapped up in it, rain or shine.

People who understand football, understand the importance of Aston Villa F.C. That'll do for me.
Thing is, the omnipresence of televised football IS setting the agenda. Our history will continue to have less and less interest or importance because we are not a TV 'feature club'.

The attitudes expressed in the posts above are very representative of what the football thinks of us; insignificant, an anachronism, dull, anonymous. No one will mourn our passing, should we take the drop.

Our history really only has meaning outside of us fans if we continually renew our success ... and that seems to be a long way off right now.

Offline Cliftonville Villain

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 11:03:05 PM »
A cert 3 points for whoever plays us...Christ Almighty how did it come to this? Have been a supporter for 40 years and have never felt so low...even in the third division we were still The Villa and relegation in 86 brought SGT to save us but this? Lack of funds,a clueless manager completely out of his depth, an absent owner and the best fans in the country bored senseless into apathy by a squad not fit for purpose.  We're in freefall towards the Championship and no-one on high seems to give a shit. These are the darkest of days, with our great club now being reduced to joke status among other fans, but I STILL have the hope that someone, somewhere will want to own the marquee name of historical football clubs. Sorry for the rant guys but four years of Villa taking hammerings says that enough is enough.

Do I know you? Seeing as I went to Cliftonville school and BRA around the same time as your timeline above. There were not many Villa fans around then.

Nah, St Malachy's College, Neil...and you're right, Villa fans were a rarity in this part of the world. Childhood spent growing up in a sea of Celtic and met with puzzlement and curiosity by all. They'll never get it.

Online Neil Hawkes

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 05:10:21 AM »
A cert 3 points for whoever plays us...Christ Almighty how did it come to this? Have been a supporter for 40 years and have never felt so low...even in the third division we were still The Villa and relegation in 86 brought SGT to save us but this? Lack of funds,a clueless manager completely out of his depth, an absent owner and the best fans in the country bored senseless into apathy by a squad not fit for purpose.  We're in freefall towards the Championship and no-one on high seems to give a shit. These are the darkest of days, with our great club now being reduced to joke status among other fans, but I STILL have the hope that someone, somewhere will want to own the marquee name of historical football clubs. Sorry for the rant guys but four years of Villa taking hammerings says that enough is enough.

Do I know you? Seeing as I went to Cliftonville school and BRA around the same time as your timeline above. There were not many Villa fans around then.

Nah, St Malachy's College, Neil...and you're right, Villa fans were a rarity in this part of the world. Childhood spent growing up in a sea of Celtic and met with puzzlement and curiosity by all. They'll never get it.

Online Neil Hawkes

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:43 AM »
Hi Cliftonvilla,
Too true. there was a lad called Magee in my school who followed the righteous path also, but in all my time in Belfast he was the only one I knew.
It's good to be different!
Cheers Neil.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
Famous old stadium.  Won The European Cup you say? They never did? Did they? I'm surprised about that.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
Don't let yourself get worked up about the football untermenschen out there.

Its like that kid on Twitter who had been supporting Chelsea for five minutes who made himself look a fool when he tried to mock us for not having won the European Cup. Those that know, know, those that don't, fuck them. 

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
Famous old stadium.  Won The European Cup you say? They never did? Did they? I'm surprised about that.

It's strange how many people still say to me that Villa Park is a famous old stadium. Another myth.

Offline Ads

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Its famous and its old.

The fact three of the stands are 20 years or less is neither here nor there. Its what seperates us from Goodison which instead of being a "famous old stadium" s a "famous old shit stadium".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:00:14 AM by Ads »

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Fans of other teams in "taking the piss out of another team that's doing badly" shocker. The focus should be sorting us out and getting some points, it's not a popularity contest. Fans of other clubs tend to still hate you and try to take the piss when you're doing well too. Admittedly I've almost forgotten what doing well is like, but the point remains.

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »
Its famous and its old.

The fact three of the stands are 20 years or less is neither here nor there. Its what seperates us from Goodison which instead of being a "famous old stadium" s a "famous old shit stadium".

It's famous but there's nothing older than 40 years about Villa Park

And I'd take Everton's Leitch masterpiece over Doug's Lego Trinity any day.

Offline Ads

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »
I like Goodison until I am in it and need to, for example, buy a beer, take a leak or watch the Villa. Normally it’s difficult to watch us, but at Goodison, they make it literally difficult to see. It makes me realise that the new Trinity or the new Holte End are a million times the rag-taggle of corrugated iron, wooden seats and pillars that makes up the bulk of Goodison.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »

I have to say that is excellent, made me smile

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
I like Goodison until I am in it and need to, for example, buy a beer, take a leak or watch the Villa. Normally it’s difficult to watch us, but at Goodison, they make it literally difficult to see. It makes me realise that the new Trinity or the new Holte End are a million times the rag-taggle of corrugated iron, wooden seats and pillars that makes up the bulk of Goodison.

I sort of agree. Modern Villa Park is much better for watching football from. It's just not the old stadium that many people think it still is. 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 11:43:19 AM »

I have to say that is excellent, made me smile

It's funny, but Christ it's embarrassing.

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
You're not famous anymore

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal