collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The players  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Rudy65

The players
« on: February 01, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »
Like others on here I want a change of manager, but the players also need to take a long hard look at themselves

Just based on today

Guzan. Went down too early for the first and could have maybe got Ozil's goal. Penalty was a stange bit of goalkeeping

Hutton. Shocking crossing in the first half. The early season form Has deserted him

Okore. I like him, but his positioning today seemed awry

Clark. Dotto Okore. Arsenal walked through us for four of the goals. He has never convined me

Richardson. Poor crossing. Fell over himself for their second. Poor distribution generally. Championship at best.

Sanchez. Like him, but his passing was awful today

Cleverley. Poor again today. He either passes back or sideways. Unable or unwilling to beat a man on a one to one. He has a sort of style of leaning back and trying to curl the ball in a la Beckham. He did this a couple of times today when Benteke was surrounded by three defenders and there was no other villa player in sight. Easy to stick the knife in, but he is really poor

Gil. Looks the part. He needs to be moved to the middle or at least Given a free role to roam

Delph. Im not a fan. Dont get the hype of him on these boards. That said keeping him is probably the right decision if only because he is the best of a bad bunch in midfield.

Weimann. Feel a bit sorry for him. He doesn't really have footballers quality but I think if you play him in his true position up front  he will score goals. As it is he just runs around a bit aimlessly. He should be closer to Benteke not chasing back in bis own half all the time

Benteke. Good knows what going on. Seems disinterested and lazy. Doesnt run the channels and doesnt come short. Not sure the injury has affected him more than we think.

The above is  based on today, but it could be pretty much any game from this season

Do the players care?

Are they bothered by the unwanted records they are setting?

Do they all seriously think other prem clubs will sign them if we get relegated?

Where is the fight?

Where is the ambition, motivation and self respect of the individual players?

Do they realise how the rest of the country is laughing at them? They should be embarrassed but the £20k plus weekly salaries seems to form a shield around them

In short the players need to start taking on some responsibility. The manager takes a lot of the blame but not all of it. If things dont change we are going down

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: The players
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »
Its about leadership and once the players start getting away with it then they collectively fail.

I still have no idea what Lambert is trying to do with the players he has. The fact that they are beginning to realise that it is failing is hardly surprising.

The whole thing is rotten and the longer they leave Lambert as manager the worse it will get.

Offline LTA

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »
Delph. Im not a fan. Dont get the hype of him on these boards. That said keeping him is probably the right decision if only because he is the best of a bad bunch in midfield.

ID say the same about Guzan.  He's utterly brainless at times and yet seems undroppable.   Squad player at best.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »

ID say the same about Guzan.  He's utterly brainless at times and yet seems undroppable.   Squad player at best.

Are there any players, or things about the club, that you do like?

Online aj2k77

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
These are professional footballers we are talking about. They're not a bunch of kids picked up from parks football. They know as much as we do that Lambert is a chancer and all his flip flopping from one thing to the next will not work. I think they're resigned to their fate as much as the fans right now. They know these stupid little ''tactics'' like the passing to a player by the corner flag from the goal kick are laughable. They know that us having as our main coach a bloke who was in charge of Norwichs academy side and has no other experience is laughable. They know us having no assistant manager is laughable. They know having a want away owner is laughable. To them they will leave and we will be stuck with the clusterfuck they're all creating, they won't care.

The best thing Fox could do instead of making out they're all so much smarter than the average man is bite the bullet, admit the cock up (again) and ''flip the coin''.

Basically we've got someone running the team who's only talent seems to be scouting.

Offline LTA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »

I'm struggling to find anything at the moment.

I'm sick of the vultures circling around Villa Park.  Its so obvious to anyone that a change needs to be made, but no-one in authority it seems wants to make that call.

Lerner, Fox, Lambert, the coaches and players need to pull their heads out of the sand and stop pretending that everything's fine.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
The players are starting to hide behind Lambert.

Yes he's awful, we all see that, but whose accountable among the playing group. Very poor alround.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »
Don't rate Guzan or Delph? Probably two of our best players? Really?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »
I honestly think that another Manager would get more out of the same set of players.

Wiemann, Richardson, Clark, Cleverly wouldn't get into my best side. All about opinions I guess, but they play near the bottom of the table because that's their level. Gabby, Westwood too.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »
We don't really have much genuine quality. Gil looks good - exactly what we need. Lambert putting him on the wing is baffling.
Sanchez has looked good, however, today Arsenal just had too many attacking midfielders which made his clearly uncomfortable.
Delph has been good for the past 2 years, and I'm glad he's staying, but he's not the £20mil midfielder some have claimed him to be. 0 goals and 0 assists this season say a lot, he;s good in and around the centre circle but doesn't offer enough going forward, and is regularly sloppy defensively with poor tackles.
Guazn has been going backwards this season. He needs a good kick up the arse.
Gabby's best days are behind him - sadly I doubt we could sell him even if we tried.
Vlaar is a crock - I'd release him at the end of the season, he isn't worth the pay raise he'd undoubtedly want.
Benteke looks pissed off, and that's not good. He's becoming increasingly frustrated with the burden of being the only very good player at this club. He'll be off in the summer.

Offline peter w

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
They're professional footballers. They need to take some pride n what they're doing. Starting against Chelsea. fuck this it's gone/ Now show some pride in yourselves next weekend.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 02:44:21 AM »

I'm struggling to find anything at the moment.

I'm sick of the vultures circling around Villa Park.  Its so obvious to anyone that a change needs to be made, but no-one in authority it seems wants to make that call.

Lerner, Fox, Lambert, the coaches and players need to pull their heads out of the sand and stop pretending that everything's fine.

You should be more worried about how many chances Andy Murray needs to win the Aussie open.

Apologies if you are not that LTA.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 04:24:48 AM »
Listen to ex-pros and they all say, give players an excuse to hide behind and they will, they are never willing to look in the mirror and say, "I was crap today'.
Lambert has been giving these players that excuse for at least two years and continues to do so.
Also not just us, but years ago you had characters in the side who would say," balls to this gaffer this aint working" and change things even during a game. Arsenal players sent a delegation to speak to Wenger prior to the Man City game, as they believed that their tactics against the top teams needed altering, so there are some out there that have professoinal pride, just not our lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal