collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much do you care about Villa?  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: How much do you care about Villa?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
In recent seasons I have taken the view point that to worry and threat about things beyond my control is surely the path to madness.

I try to take a positive look at things and I still really enjoy going to games, which is surely the point? Especially the away ones, but then I have always been like that.

I have been, for the first time in just shy of 25 years of watching us home and away, to two away games this season on my own and also a home game on my own, which is new; Palace and Leicester away and Man United at home, but I haven’t found that has dampened my appetite, which must confirm I am still enjoying it.

I don’t get as angry or worked up about it as I used to, although I found I was dropping the c-bomb multiple times as I tried to cut my way through the Birmingham roadwork’s back to my parents house after the Liverpool game and found myself telling Lambert to fuck off everytime he came on the radio, so I still get a bit narky. By the time I was on my way back to the North West, I was ok though.

I love the Villa, its not life or death or anything saft like that, but I enjoy the pageantry, the sense of belonging and camaraderie, the black/gallows Brummie humour, the boisterousness of it all and yes, even the football on occasions.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
I think for those like me who can't afford to go, all we have is the game and the result.  All the extra stuff that Ads mentions we don't really get.  So when the game is painful to watch and the result is bad then I suppose we can't fall back on the good day out side of it.

The other thing is that no it doesn't matter a great deal whether we finish 7th - 17th so we might as well try to play some good attacking football.  We're not going to win the league, finish top four, or anything like that but we could at least be better than we are and give ourselves a better chance.  At the moment it's like we've just given up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 04:29:04 PM »
Far more than I should. Having said that, I don't let Villa ruin stuff. I'll be pissed off after a shit result but will nearly always be calmed down quickly. Life is too short to stress over a football team, so i'll have a bit of a moan about the game and then crack on.
Helps that I still look forward to going to games, there'll come a day when i'm too old, ill, or dead to go to VP again so i'll enjoy it while I can and go as often as I can. The odd win would be nicer though!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
My other half reckons i'm a much nicer person these days, she used to be able to tell how Villa have done by my moods. Nowadays she can never tell whether we've had a shot on target or not.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 04:35:31 PM »
If Villa won the FA Cup, it would sit comfortably amongst the best days of my life.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
Far more than I should. Having said that, I don't let Villa ruin stuff. I'll be pissed off after a shit result but will nearly always be calmed down quickly. Life is too short to stress over a football team, so i'll have a bit of a moan about the game and then crack on.

Same here, maybe I've just become so used to watching us play crap football for so long it no longer surprises me. Saying that, if I recall, a Villa win completely changes my mood and everything is wonderful with the world.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
Helps that I still look forward to going to games, there'll come a day when i'm too old, ill, or dead to go to VP again so i'll enjoy it while I can and go as often as I can. The odd win would be nicer though!

spot on for me too PWS...

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
If Villa won the FA Cup, it would sit comfortably amongst the best days of my life.

Yes, except it even bloody annoys me that it aint what it was and how I wish we had won it in its halycon days for me, which was probably the 70s and early 80s. When the whole nation stopped to watch, the whole day was devoted to it, the atmosphere was cracking, the semis were not played at Wembley and so on. I don't think I have even really watched the last two which would have been unheard of a few years back. I can reel off every cup winner and probably all the goalscorers from the 70s, a few from the 80s, and hardly any from then on when it just seems to be a case of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea taking it in turns to win it year in, year out

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »
I haven't watched an FA Cup Final since you know when.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
Without wishing this to turn into a 'I'm a better fan than you' debate, how much do we all care about the Villa? Obviously enough to spend time on an internet forum discussing a topic that others may view as trivial, but to what degree? This follows what I said earlier about others being incandescent with rage (possible hyperbole) about Lambert's failings, whereas I cannot muster enough anger to really get much above a mild grump. A few years ago it would have been different, but I think the Lerner years have flushed that enthusiasm out of me.

You grew-up Tom, travelled the world, met the woman of your life, planned kids, cars and Cotswolds holidays. Unfair to blame your indifference completely on Randolph, surely?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
It ruins most weekends for me.

I have been trying to care less recently.

It is not working.

Offline exigo

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »
Bloke at work just asked me if I was going on Sunday, and I honestly didn't even realise that's when we were playing. I don't think that's happened before in the 40 years I've been on this planet.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »
Seriously though, I always think it's at a healthy level of being mad about them when compared to someone who doesn't care but still far away from being as obsessed as those who have H&V burnt into their eyelids at night. But then, the litmus test is always how much do I think about them when a game is on and I'm doing something else/unable to check for updates and the truth is it's always on my mind for the duration of the game. And waiting for a result having no idea what the score is still makes me more anxious than it really should do by now.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
I still care massively. Like lots of you I was born into supporting Villa so not caring or not worrying isn't really an option. I like to think of myself as fairly sensible and level-headed, but Villa being shit still puts a big dampener on my weekend. It's pathetic really, I know, but I'm not sure that I'll ever really grow out of it. My first child is due in August and I fully intend to make them go through the same sufferings that I have had to.

Offline ez

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
My interest has reduced to just match days now and watching online. By and large i switch off from football during the rest of the week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal